Closest GA Airport to Cape Canaveral?

Old March 11th 05, 02:12 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Closest GA Airport to Cape Canaveral?

Hey you Floridians:

What's the closest GA airport to the Cape that has:

- No parking/landing fees
- Ample ramp space
- Decent priced gas (Mogas would be perfect!)
- Decent hotels nearby

???

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 11th 05, 05:36 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article RGhYd.54926$Ze3.26807@attbi_s51,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Hey you Floridians:

What's the closest GA airport to the Cape that has:

- No parking/landing fees
- Ample ramp space
- Decent priced gas (Mogas would be perfect!)
- Decent hotels nearby

???

Thanks!

Titusville (TIX) meets your specs nicely. You could also try Arthur
Dunn, which has lower gas prices. TIX also has a restaurant on the
field, and, if you are around on Saturdays, is the breakfast destination
for a lot of us from the Spruce Creek Gaggle Flight.

The Valiant Air Command has a museum there, too.
Old March 11th 05, 08:37 PM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Hey you Floridians:

What's the closest GA airport to the Cape that has:

- No parking/landing fees
- Ample ramp space
- Decent priced gas (Mogas would be perfect!)
- Decent hotels nearby

Iowians? Iowinians?

Hey, aren't you going to rent an RV once down there? Do they rent for $200
per day...wet? g

Those two kids of yours might have a tough time understanding just how
all-consuming anything NASA was to a generation of people back in the
1960's, kids and parents alike.

When told to go outside to see (whatever it was we were seeing that night)
orbit overhead, we did it - even though it was usually well past bedtime. I
remember neighbors on both sides of us standing in their backyards looking
up saying, "There it is."

Sounds like a very fun trip.

How much hurricane damage is there at the Cape?

Montblack

Old March 11th 05, 08:45 PM
jsmith

Yes, and "back then", we didn't have all the air pollution obscurring
the sky and things were much easier to see.

Old March 11th 05, 09:06 PM
George Patterson

Montblack wrote:

When told to go outside to see (whatever it was we were seeing that night)
orbit overhead, we did it - even though it was usually well past bedtime. I
remember neighbors on both sides of us standing in their backyards looking
up saying, "There it is."

Yep. I remember my father marching us all out into the yard to watch Sputnik and
Echo go by.

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.
Old March 11th 05, 09:25 PM
Jay Honeck

Yes, and "back then", we didn't have all the air pollution obscurring

the sky and things were much easier to see.

Wow -- I don't know where you live, but in my lifetime air pollution
has been all but eliminated. I remember the skies around Milwaukee and
Racine (Wisconsin) being black with coal smoke almost 24/7 when I was a
kid -- now, they are clear as a bell, and the view of the night sky is
unrestricted.

Of course, all the high-paying manufacturing jobs were eliminated along
with the air pollution -- but that's another thread.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 11th 05, 09:28 PM
Jay Honeck

Hey, aren't you going to rent an RV once down there? Do they rent for
$200
per day...wet? g

Yeah, based on everyone's recommendations (or scary stories), we've
decided to forget the RV rental plan, for now. If Sunday dawns sunny,
we'll be winging our way in the general direction of Florida, in hopes
of actually getting there in about 6.5 hours (flight time).

And if it dawns really crappy like it's been around here lately -- with
snow, freezing rain, high winds, and freezing fog -- we'll be "flying"
the Subaru Outback...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 11th 05, 09:41 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Wow -- I don't know where you live, but in my lifetime air pollution
has been all but eliminated. I remember the skies around Milwaukee and
Racine (Wisconsin) being black with coal smoke almost 24/7 when I was a
kid -- now, they are clear as a bell, and the view of the night sky is
unrestricted.

It varies across the contry. In East Tennessee, visibilty has been reduced by
75% during my lifetime, the measurement being that there are now only 25% as
many days that you can see 50 miles from Clingman's Dome as days that you could
see that far in the 60s. The decrease has been laid primarily on the use of coal
for power production in the Ohio and Tennessee valleys.

Regardless of that, anywhere within 10 miles of the yard from which I watched
Echo and Sputnik, you wouldn't be able to see anything of the sort these days
due to light pollution.

Old March 11th 05, 10:22 PM
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
And if it dawns really crappy like it's been around here lately -- with
snow, freezing rain, high winds, and freezing fog -- we'll be "flying"
the Subaru Outback...

Wow, that's a hump. 1,400 miles one-way!
(I threw in a few sidetracking miles)

http://tinyurl.com/6dqak
Map on bottom of page. Got a different route in mind?

Montblack
Old March 11th 05, 10:54 PM
jsmith

Jay, I'm in Ohio.
You're in Iowa.
The only pollution you have to worry about is methane from pig and cow
farts. ;-))

WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
Air Force issues ‘stop movement’ for Patrick, Cape Canaveral Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 25th 04 09:30 PM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM
Soviet Submarines Losses - WWII Mike Yared Military Aviation 4 October 30th 03 03:09 AM