Alu corrosion protection

Old July 3rd 05, 11:45 PM
Udo Rumpf

Default Alu corrosion protection

I am refurbishing an Schreder trailer.
The under side has white corrosion markings all over.
I would like to know if I can apply an oil spray of sorts
that would "stabilize" the oxidization and help protecting
the under side over time with repeated application if necessary.
If that would work what oil?
Thanks for any informed reply.
The top surface I reconditioned with a fine Scotch Brite and it came out OK.
Regards
Udo

Old July 4th 05, 02:43 AM
tim

Scotch Brite
Alodine
Thouroughly rinse
Zinc Chromate paint.

Old July 7th 05, 05:22 AM

I would only add two things to the above response. I would use an
etching solution such as Alumiprep 33 or Turco with the ScotchBrite,
rinse, then coat with Alodine, rinse and prime with a Zinc Chromate
paint before topcoating with a two part polyurethane. It's a lot of
work but your glider deserves it.

As for the shortcut solution, there are coatings which would protect
the surface but (at least for aluminium) I haven't seen anything that
would stabilize the corrosion that is already there.

Old July 7th 05, 01:08 PM
01-- Zero One

I believe the original post was about the bottom of the trailer instead
of the glider.

Larry

:

Old July 7th 05, 02:20 PM
Udo Rumpf

At last some one read the post.
In an attempt to be helpful one keys in on a few words.
Udo

:

Old July 7th 05, 03:00 PM
HL Falbaum

Actually, the poster covers the question--stating there is no "shortcut" to
stabilizing the corrosion. It "hides" in crevices and comes out later.
The "glider deserves it" refers to the protection an intact trailer bottom
affords a glider.

Hartley Falbaum

.. .

:

Old July 7th 05, 04:44 PM
Udo Rumpf

In that case I will restate my inquiry.
I am aware of the conventional corrosion protection regarding alu.
The top surfaces have been look after.
I am looking for a product that will protect the "bottom" of an alu
trailer.
It should be able to seep into, as well as creep in-between pieces of
alu that have been riveted. (HL) I will not take the trailer apart to get
at
the crevices. Either spray or brush on will be a good solution
The trailer is built and conventional alu protection on bottom of the
trailer can not be used.
I hope this is more precise
Regards
Udo

"HL Falbaum" wrote in message
Actually, the poster covers the question--stating there is no "shortcut"
to stabilizing the corrosion. It "hides" in crevices and comes out later.
The "glider deserves it" refers to the protection an intact trailer bottom
affords a glider.

Hartley Falbaum

.. .

:

Old July 7th 05, 10:37 PM

Udo Rumpf wrote:
In that case I will restate my inquiry.
I am aware of the conventional corrosion protection regarding alu.
The top surfaces have been look after.
I am looking for a product that will protect the "bottom" of an alu
trailer.
It should be able to seep into, as well as creep in-between pieces of
alu that have been riveted. (HL) I will not take the trailer apart to get
at
the crevices. Either spray or brush on will be a good solution
The trailer is built and conventional alu protection on bottom of the
trailer can not be used.
I hope this is more precise
Regards
Udo

WD-40 was created for pretty much this type of thing. It obviously
won't repair corrosion,but likely will slow it down. It does wick into
crevices.
UH

"HL Falbaum" wrote in message
Actually, the poster covers the question--stating there is no "shortcut"
to stabilizing the corrosion. It "hides" in crevices and comes out later.
The "glider deserves it" refers to the protection an intact trailer bottom
affords a glider.

Hartley Falbaum

.. .

" wrote in message
:

I would only add two things to the above response. I would use an
etching solution such as Alumiprep 33 or Turco with the ScotchBrite,
rinse, then coat with Alodine, rinse and prime with a Zinc Chromate
paint before topcoating with a two part polyurethane. It's a lot of
work but your glider deserves it.

As for the shortcut solution, there are coatings which would protect
the surface but (at least for aluminium) I haven't seen anything that
would stabilize the corrosion that is already there.

Surface Corrosion? Joaquin Murrieta Home Built 2 May 3rd 05 01:19 AM
Corrosion Protection jc Home Built 1 February 15th 05 11:42 AM
Naval Air Refueling Needs Deferred in Air Force Tanker Plan Henry J Cobb Military Aviation 47 May 22nd 04 03:36 AM
Corrosion Protection on Alluminum Sheet Aircraft? DL152279546231 Home Built 6 February 10th 04 05:10 AM
How much corrosion is too much? Carl Orton Owning 5 February 2nd 04 01:31 AM