SoCalif Pilot Died 7/3/05 - Services Set

Old July 7th 05, 02:31 AM
CindyASK

Default SoCalif Pilot Died 7/3/05 - Services Set

Friends:

This has been a torturous week for us.

Mark Navarre went soaring with several friends on Sunday, July 3, and
discontinued his position reporting shortly after 3 pm. It was a
normal, nice summer afternoon on the Sierras,
working altitudes of 14 ~ 15,000 msl were possible. The other pilots
returned home to California City by 6 pm, and no one had heard from
Mark. We tried radio relays on 123.3 and 123.5 from ATC asking pilots
to call down while transitioning. No answer was received from Oscar
Delta.

From Cal City, three pilots departed in a Mooney to the area to give

Mark a chance to signal to their overflight. Based on our phone
request, the Pawnee from Santa Ynez, based at Bishop that weekend also
searched for the hour before dark. Inyo County Search and Rescue was
notified about 8:30 pm, and they prepared to start searching early
Monday.

Monday morning three aircraft flown by glider pilots (Pawnee, Mooney,
Bonanza) and a Taifun motorglider searched the area between Onion
Valley and Coyote Flats, before Inyo S & R required them to clear some
airspace while the CHP helicopter worked. Sheriff's personnel found
the wreckage and confirmed Mark's passage at approximately 1 pm. The
fact that Mark gave regular position reports, and was seen by a
southbound pilot, limited the search area to be pertinent.
No matter the speed of the response, Mark was lost immediately.

The glider impacted steep terrain at 11,700 msl, south west of Coyote
Flats. We have no access to any flight recorder data, so it is
impossible to conjecture what may have happened. If data
becomes available later, we will attempt to pass useful knowledge to
soaring pilots. There was no unusual weather, it was CAVU with
scattered cu at ~ 15,500 over the middle Sierra. We still do not have
access to the exact crash coordinates, so speculation is pointless. The
approximate site was later overflown for two hours by us, without
locating the glider against snow covered background.

The only pertinent comment that can be made at this time is for soaring
pilots to provide more separation between themselves and terrain in all
conditions, acknowledge incremental development of skills and respect
personal limitations.

The family eagerly wishes the attendance of flying friends at Mark's
service, and a family gathering to follow.

Services are set for
Saturday, July 9, 10:00 a.m.
The San Antonio Catholic Church at
5800 E. Santa Ana Canyon Road, Anaheim, CA 92807

In lieu of flowers, donations should be made in Mark's memory to
SSA - Youth Soaring Flight Scholarships or
Soaring Safety Education.
PO Box 2100, Hobbs, NM 88241.

Mark is survived by his wife, Cody, parents Gerald and Judy Navarre,
sister Mary and brother Mike. Condolences to Cody can be mailed to us
for forwarding or contact us directly. .

http://local.google.com/maps?li=d&hl...heim,+CA+92807

We would appreciate that the family address not be posted onto
rec.soaring or the internet. Personal distribution to soaring and
radio control pilot friends is appropriate.

With great sadness,

Cindy Brickner and Marty Eiler
Caracole Soaring
22570 Airport Way
California City, CA 93505
760-373-1019
www.caracolesoaring.com

Old July 7th 05, 06:45 AM
John Shelton

That is just too goddamned sad.

"CindyASK" wrote in message
ups.com...
Friends:

This has been a torturous week for us.

Mark Navarre went soaring with several friends on Sunday, July 3, and
discontinued his position reporting shortly after 3 pm. It was a
normal, nice summer afternoon on the Sierras,
working altitudes of 14 ~ 15,000 msl were possible. The other pilots
returned home to California City by 6 pm, and no one had heard from
Mark. We tried radio relays on 123.3 and 123.5 from ATC asking pilots
to call down while transitioning. No answer was received from Oscar
Delta.

From Cal City, three pilots departed in a Mooney to the area to give

[...]

http://local.google.com/maps?li=d&hl...5800+E+San ta
+Ana+Canyon+Rd,+Anaheim,+CA+92807

Old July 7th 05, 11:04 PM
CindyASK

Folks:

I spoke too soon.

Services at 11 am..... same day and place.

Parents: Gerald and Rita,
siblings Mike, Matthew, Martin and Mary.

Thanks,

Cindy B