World's longest flight

Old March 21st 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default World's longest flight

During this video
http://www.exn.ca/dailyplanet/view.asp?date=2/13/2006# Steve Fossett
talks about his 3-1/2 day, February 13, 2006 record setting (World's
Longest Non-stop Solo) flight. Despite using the entire 15,000'
runway for takeoff, the stick required 50 to 100 pounds of pull to
lift the Rotax powered, P-38esque, Amateur Built, Experimental
aircraft's nose. During climb out the cockpit temperature reached
50-degree C, blacking out all LED instrument displays. With bird
strikes, turbulence in the Himalayas, and canopy ice at landing, Mr.
Fossett was beginning to recognize an accident-chain in progress. Upon
generator failure (30 minutes battery reserve), Mr. Fossett declared
an emergency, and landed at an airport in the south of England
suffering blown-out tires due to frozen breaks.

FAA Registration:
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...mndfin d.y=15
Old March 21st 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Rotax powered? The GlobalFlyer it had a single Williams FJ44 turbofan.
Maybe you're thinking of the plane Dick Rutan & Jeana Yeager flew?

Old March 21st 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Interesting the FAA registry shows it does have a Rotax engine. What
gives?

Old March 21st 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The Voyager had liquid cooled Continental engines.

oups.com...

Old March 21st 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The rear engine was Teledyne Continental IOL-200, liquid cooled and 110
hp. The front was Continental 0-240, air cooled (and not as effecient)
130 hp, used for the first 70 hours and when climbing over weather.

Yeah - Rotax? Maybe the DAR was having a little joke.

As I understand it, they wanted to use one of the Garret F-109,
developed for the canceled T-46, but only a few were made and none were
available. The FJ44 was plan B, and not as effecient.

Old March 21st 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote

Interesting the FAA registry shows it does have a Rotax engine. What
gives?

It is the FAA. That *should* be explaination enough!
--
Jim in NC
Old March 21st 06, 07:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 20 Mar 2006 20:10:23 -0800, "
wrote in
.com::

Rotax powered? The GlobalFlyer it had a single Williams FJ44 turbofan.

That's not what the FAA registration says.
Old March 21st 06, 07:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 01:26:05 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote in ::

Interesting the FAA registry shows it does have a Rotax engine. What
gives?

It is the FAA. That *should* be explaination enough!

Perhaps the explanation lies in the hands of those responsible for
filing a registration update.
Old March 21st 06, 10:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It seems to me very underwhelming. The idea of making S turns so as to
increase your distance is so artificial. The world is round, so go
around it, preferably in a way that respects its circumference.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old March 21st 06, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It seems to me very underwhelming. The idea of making S turns so as to
increase your distance is so artificial. The world is round, so go
around it, preferably in a way that respects its circumference.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds this flight to be "challenging
but goofy..."
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA