Ref:DUI

Old August 4th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
DaveB[_2_]

Default Ref:DUI

About 35 years ago (during my drinking days) I flew a couple times
with a fellow that would drink beer while flying.

We were flying out of a small airport in Alabama and I really didn't
think much of it. Now after being sober for a long time and a little
older and still alive I realize how crazy that was.
Daveb
Old August 4th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Aug 3, 6:48*pm, (DaveB) wrote:
About 35 years ago (during my drinking days) I flew a couple times
with a fellow that would drink beer while flying.

We were flying out of a small airport in Alabama and I really didn't
think much of it. Now after being sober for a long time and a little
older and still alive I realize how crazy that was.
Daveb

Dave
I knew a guy in Calif who had a reputation of drinking while crop
dusting with helicopter. I passed it off as just gossip until one day
when I was working a field and his rig pulled in and he began flying
the same field I was. I walked over and chatted with him to see what
the deal was. Turned out the farmer had called us both just to make
sure his field got sprayed. The guy asked what I was going to do and I
said I had already sprayed half of the field and was going to finish.
What he did was up to him. So, he pulls a beer out of the little
cooler in his cockpit, offers me one which I declined, and proceeds to
drink one while he gets a load of chemical and starts to spray where I
had already worked!
I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I did call a friend of mine
with the FAA and advised him what I had seen. Not sure if any action
was ever taken as I was never contacted about it by anyone.
Old August 4th 08, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
On Aug 3, 6:48 pm, (DaveB) wrote:
[...]

A certain percentage of the population has serious problems with alcohol.
It shouldn't surprise anyone that pilots are not immune. I knew controllers
who would come to work reeking of alcohol and I've seen some take drinks out
in the parking lot. I haven't seen any of that since the FAA started
mandatory alcohol testing.

Old August 4th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

DaveB wrote:
About 35 years ago (during my drinking days) I flew a couple times
with a fellow that would drink beer while flying.

We were flying out of a small airport in Alabama and I really didn't
think much of it. Now after being sober for a long time and a little
older and still alive I realize how crazy that was.
Daveb

Also, 35 years ago a DUI was no worse for you record than a speeding
ticket. MADD did what they set out to do and to a point it has probably
made us safer on the road. Like all groups that have a mission though
MADD has gone a little overboard and taken the politicians with them.
Old August 4th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 4, 10:48*am, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:
DaveB wrote:
About 35 years ago (during my drinking days) I flew a couple times
with a fellow that would drink beer while flying.

We were flying out of a small airport in Alabama and I really didn't
think much of it. Now after being sober for a long time and a little
older and still alive I realize how crazy that was.
Daveb

Also, 35 years ago a DUI was no worse for you record than a speeding
ticket. MADD did what they set out to do and to a point it has probably
made us safer on the road. Like all groups that have a mission though
MADD has gone a little overboard and taken the politicians with them.

For sure alcohol related road accidents have been reduced by more than
half, thanks to organizations like MADD. There seems to a positive
relationship between any level of serum alcohol and reaction times,
but it gets to be serious enough to affect driving at the high 0.0X
levels. I think, for the record, that driving after giving a pint of
blood is pretty much like driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.05
for normal sized people, and I think pilots should stay below
something like 4000 feet for 3 or 4 days after donating blood, for
that matter. I think the USAF prohibits its pilots from being blood
donors.
Old August 4th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 3, 4:48*pm, (DaveB) wrote:
About 35 years ago (during my drinking days) I flew a couple times
with a fellow that would drink beer while flying.

We were flying out of a small airport in Alabama and I really didn't
think much of it. Now after being sober for a long time and a little
older and still alive I realize how crazy that was.
Daveb

I guess back the day pilots would take a shot of gin before a tough
flight. Probably was the only way to get anyone to do anything as
crazy as they were about to!

-Robert
Old August 4th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 4, 12:03*pm, jeremy wrote:
wrote:
For sure alcohol related road accidents have been reduced by more than
half, thanks to organizations like MADD. There seems to a positive
relationship between any level of serum alcohol and reaction times,
but it gets to be serious enough to affect driving at the high 0.0X
levels.

But they have gone too far by making suspicion almost as bad as a conviction.
The guilty until proven innocent does not apply and in Texas the cost of
successfully defending against a prosecution is around $5k.

JJ

That sounds like the same kind of liberties Child Protective Services
take in many states. I do think if you blow a 0.08 the presumptive
assumption is you're DUI in most states. That kind of 'authority' is
the same kind that mandates seat belts or helmets for bike riders.
Sometimes I think the last two should be abolished and let Darwin do
his thing, but DUI too often takes out other people too, and we the
people need protection from that kind of reaping.

Old August 5th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tman

I like to eat where I fly, and that invariably means a drink or two.
My rule is 1 drink: 1.5 hours until last sip to flying. 2 drinks: 3
hours. 3 drinks: FAA 8 hours at least. Night flight: double those
times for 1 or 2 drinks.
Breaking a little bit the 8-hour b-t-t rule, but hey, I am pretty sure I
have that alcohol metabolized.
I gotta believe this is not egregious, and not uncommon. Not legal tho.
Anyone disagree?
Old August 5th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Tman" x@x wrote in message
I like to eat where I fly, and that invariably means a drink or two.
My rule is 1 drink: 1.5 hours until last sip to flying. 2 drinks: 3
hours. 3 drinks: FAA 8 hours at least. Night flight: double those times
for 1 or 2 drinks.
Breaking a little bit the 8-hour b-t-t rule, but hey, I am pretty sure I
have that alcohol metabolized.
I gotta believe this is not egregious, and not uncommon. Not legal tho.
Anyone disagree?

What a duffus, saying that on a permanent record. Not too smart.

Not too smart to violate the rule, either.

That is, if you are real, and not someone just jerking our chains, which I
strongly now suspect.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 5th 08, 08:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jason \Home Run\ Kendrick

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 19:39:50 -0700 (PDT), Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:

I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I did call a friend of mine
with the FAA and advised him what I had seen. Not sure if any action
was ever taken as I was never contacted about it by anyone.

A few brewskis and you jack a guy a job? **** you in between your nose
hairs.
--
That white softball comes at me. I am not afreed. I kill it.
Over the fence I do this a lot. NO softball timidates me