Leading edge protection search

Old June 28th 04, 02:45 AM
Tim Hickey

Default Leading edge protection search

I have a question, and I suspect that someone in this group can help
me.
I fly a Zenith CH-300 that has a wood prop. Actually, I think that it
may be the last prop ever made by the Great American Propeller Co.
This prop does not have any leading edge protection. Years ago I found
a product sold by one R. E. Johnson, who was the owner of HI-LAN
Products Company.
Mr. Johnson sold a product called,"a transparent, thermoplastic,
polyurethane elastomer.
Continuing from the insert that was with the last order of tape I
bought, (which was sometime around 1997 or so).The tape is precoated
with a pressure-sensitive adhesive that is protected with an easy
release silicone liner and is "light-stable"."

The tape was offered in two thicknesses. 0.0075", and 0.012".
The thicker tape was recommended for wooden props.
The tape had a matt finish.
The tape worked pretty well. But like everything else, it does need
occasional replacement.
Several years ago I wanted to get some more tape, and called Mr.
Johnson. He reported that he had discontinued selling the tape. I
never learned why.
Mr. Johnson did not make the tape, he just sold small chunks of it to
people like me.
Now, do any of you know what that product might be, and where I could
order some?
And if you have any other recommendations as to a good way to protect
the leading edge of the prop, I am all ears..er, eyes.

Thanks!

Zenith CH-300 Driver.