Adding rudders to Logitech Wingman (can it be done)?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 19th 05, 11:23 AM
Mikael K

On 19-Feb-2005, "Mikael K" wrote:

I have previously posted a guide on how to do it...(I use a similar
setup...)
So hang on, and I will find it and repost.. ;o)

OK.. Found it... attached below...
Read it, try it.. ;o)

Any questions?? Please drop a post..

Regards
Mikael K

---------------

I have also been playing around with the pedals lately, as I am lucky to
have the Logitech Wingman Formula Wheel with pedals attached.
And inspired by all the latest postings about rudder-control and helos, I
wanted to try rudder-control by pedals
During my 'research' I have also read the FS9-document how to get pedals to
work as rudder from MS, and as you did I also find it a bit unclear what to
do about the basics...

But...
I have now managed to make a setup, where the rudder (and rear rotor on
helos) are going back to 'neutral' when releasing the pressure on either
pedal...
For my 'Flight-stick' I am using a Logitech Wingman Force Feedback Joystick.
Both controllers are connected with USB, and I am NOT using the Logitech
Profiler software to assign controls.

I will now try to explain what I did, to get rudder/rear rotor control with
the pedals...:

With the joystick and wheel/pedals connected and calibrated, the only change
I had to make from the default setup, was to adjust the way pedals worked
via 'Game Controllers' in the 'Control Panel'. Under 'Settings' in
'Properties' for the wheel, I did select 'Use pedals as...' to 'Combined
(Single-axis)'.

Then in FS9 I navigated to the 'Joystick Axis'-tab under 'Controls' -
'Assignments'
And by selecting the wheel under 'Joystick Type' (NOT first selecting
slew-mode, which I think is a misguiding from the editor of the
support-doc), I just assigned the 'Rudder Axis' to the pedals, by selecting
the axis and pressing either of the pedals ('Combined pedals' is now showing
as selected axis).
I did also checked the 'Reverse', in order to make the A/C go right when I
press the right pedal, and vise versa...
I then also removed any other unwanted control-assignments from the wheel,
as Aileron- and Elevator-axis, to eliminate possible influence, like from a
not-centered wheel, on the control of the A/C.

And that was it...
Out on the air-strip, up in the Cessna, and of I took with 'real'
rudder-steering by feet on the taxi-way and in the air..
All I have to do now, is to remember to disable 'Auto rudder' under realism,
when I want to fly with pedals..

I hope this makes sense to you, or just speak up, and I will try to explain
myself better... ;o)

Regards
Mikael K

--