Parowan airport and prarie dogs

Old August 29th 11, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

Default Parowan airport and prarie dogs

"Frank Paynter" wrote in message
On Aug 27, 9:16 pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Aug 27, 6:55 am, Ron Gleason wrote:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52...rairie-utah-ai...

About time I say

Ron Gleason

As I was rolling down Parowan's runway in my Discus 2 a couple of
years ago, a prairie dog's head popped up immediately in front of me.
I aimed straight at it, but it ducked back into the hole. They are
quick and cheeky little buggers! Their tunnels under the runway and
roads eventually collapse into big holes, so this is a real problem.

My Arizona solution to this problem involving a propane tank and a
dozen M80s was politely declined!

Mike

Hmm, "a barrier along 5,000' of runway and 8' deep. I wonder how far
from the runway, and how much it extends above ground?

TA

Maybe they need one of these...

http://www.rodenator.com/

Pete

Old August 29th 11, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian

On Aug 29, 9:22*am, "Peter von Tresckow" wrote:
[...]

Bill Murray's character in 'Caddyshack' would certainly approve of the
Rodenator. What a device, it goes boom and gets rid of the varmint.
Only in America...
Old August 29th 11, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

I have used the Rodenator against gophers, the vermin in Caddyshack.
It's great fun, but only keeps the little *******s away for perhaps a
year.
The Rodenator can be rented. There's another company making similar
devices, but the Rodenator has the ignitor in the same tool.
Wear hearing protection and glasses or goggles. It's loud and dirt
goes flying everywhere.
Muy importante... Call the local police and explain what you're about
to do. They will receive reports of gunfire.

There's a hilarious photograph around here somewhere of a ground
squirrel that lost the battle with a landing Pawnee:
Tow pilot holding the trophy ground squirrel by the tail, standing in
front of a twin Grob while two USAF TPS pilots in pressure suits
prepare for launch.
Jim

Old August 29th 11, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

Some of the airport regulars at our field were exercising their .17HMR
rifles on the local Chipmunk population. Most of us thought it was good fun,
but unfortunately the airport manager didn't see it our way. Something about
not being good for the insurance...

I usually like to aim for them with the ATV tug when I'm not towing
anything, but so far they are faster than me :-)

Dogs flying Chuck Piloting 32 July 7th 04 04:21 PM
SparrowHawk - Can it run with the big dogs? Gus Rasch Soaring 7 June 7th 04 07:09 AM
prarie vortex? does anyone recall this one from the 1980's 87015 Military Aviation 0 February 27th 04 11:27 AM
Ear Protection for Dogs Shirley Piloting 34 December 21st 03 12:25 AM
Ear Protection for Dogs Shirley Rotorcraft 4 December 20th 03 11:57 AM