patwing two unit WWII question PB4Y 1?

Old August 11th 03, 02:09 AM
Harriet and John

Default patwing two unit WWII question PB4Y 1?

You will want to look at VPNavy.ORG and enter the "Search" field, type in
PB4Y-1 and you will find what you are looking for. A preliminary look seems
to indicate that you want Patrol Squadron 112, vice Patrol Squadron 12, but
have at it.

"old hoodoo" wrote in message
My ex father in law served as a tail turret gunner in a PB4Y1 in the SW
pacific. I cannot confirm his unit and am trying to. His record says
Patrol Squadron 12, Headquarters sqdn Patwing 2, and also scouting
squadron 65.

Patrol Squadron 12 flew PBY's I think and I know he took his first

aircraft
flight in Hawaii in a PBY but he always said his war service was in

PBY41's
and SBD's.

I know he served in an SBD in VS-65 out of Funafuti in the SW pacific on
anti-sumarine patrol.

He also mentioned an island called but probably mispelled "nukefatal" and

was wondering if that island might have had PB4Y1's operating out of it.

Any info on what unit he might have flown in the PB4Y1 would be

appreciated.

Old August 12th 03, 07:07 PM
Chuck

(old=A0hoodoo) wrote:
--
My ex father in law served as a tail turret gunner in a PB4Y1 in the SW
pacific. =A0 I cannot confirm his unit and am trying to. His record says
Patrol Squadron 12, Headquarters sqdn Patwing 2, and also scouting
squadron 65.
Patrol Squadron 12 flew PBY's I think and I know he took his first
aircraft flight in Hawaii in a PBY but he always said his war service
was in PBY41's and SBD's.
I know he served in an SBD in VS-65 out of Funafuti in the SW pacific on
anti-sumarine patrol.
He also mentioned an island called but probably mispelled "nukefatal"
and I was wondering if that island might have had PB4Y1's operating out
of it.
Any info on what unit he might have flown in the PB4Y1 would be
appreciated.
--
Some hopefully helpful hints on further searching both on Google and
www.vpnavy.com (different from vpnavy.org).

Headquarters Squadron Patwing 2 is also identified as Hedron PW2. Use
different searches and mixes, eg. Hedron "Headquarters Squadron" 2 TWO
PW Patwing "Patrol Wing" and you will find shipmates and histories.

Sometime in 1942/43 Patrol Wings became Fleet Air Wings (FAW) so you can
add that into your search mix. Hedron FAW-2 was home-based at MCAS/NAS
Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii flying PB4Y-2s in 1943.

Also search for PB4Y (skip the -1 and -2) in your search mixes.

As to Scouting Squadron 65 (VS-65) it is also identified as Scoron 65
(and try "sixty five also!). Funatori is in the Ellice Islands.

Good Hunting
Chuck

HEAVY ATTACK COMPOSITE (VC-5,6,7,8,9) WEBSITE
http://community.webtv.net/charles379/USNComposite

FAIRECONRON ONE AND TWO (VQ-1/2) CASUALTIES
http://www.anzwers.org/free/navyscpo...r_AirCrew.html

RAF Electronic Countermeasures Unit WWII Geoffrey Sinclair Military Aviation 2 May 23rd 04 06:10 AM
Hiroshima/Nagasaki vs conventional B-17 bombing zxcv Military Aviation 55 April 4th 04 07:05 AM
GWB and the Air Guard JD Military Aviation 77 March 17th 04 10:52 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
WWII leather cap for aircrew question Gregg Germain Military Aviation 6 November 4th 03 06:10 PM