LX7000 igc-Pro altitude reading

Old May 1st 11, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Heinz

Default LX7000 igc-Pro altitude reading

Today our LX 7000 behaved strangely. We had hi pressure, 30.49".
I set the machine as we normally set it at KAWO, 137 ft, and actual
QNH of 30.48
While we were flying, the LX 7000 reported altitude was consistently
450 to 500 ft above the Altimeter.

Later while on the ground at 137 ft I checked the altitude and it
stated 468 ft.
I rebooted the LX7000 and reset it and again the recoded altitude was
460. and this altitude was reflected in the glide-slope calculation.
It showed I need 320 ft less altitude that I should have needed.

Now comes the strange part: I checked another LX 7000 in another
DG-1000 and it reported 460 ft also while sitting at 137 ft.

Any suggestions?
Heinz
Old May 1st 11, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Heinz,

Just to clarify, when you set the unit at power-up, did you set the
altimeter to 137 ft? It is not clear to me from your note below.

Below you mention the "recoded altitude". I don't understand what you mean
by that. You need to set the unit to 137 ft at power-up.

It would not surprise me at all if the altitude reading drifted off by 300
ft or more during the day due to changes in the barometric pressure.

Also note that the displayed altitude is completely different from the
altitude recorded by the flight recorder. It is not affected by changes to
the altimeter.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old May 1st 11, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Heinz

"Heinz" wrote in message

Today our LX 7000 behaved strangely. We had hi pressure, 30.49".
I set the machine as we normally set it at KAWO, 137 ft, and actual
QNH of 30.48
While we were flying, the LX 7000 reported altitude was consistently
450 to 500 ft above the Altimeter.

Later while on the ground at 137 ft *I checked the altitude and it
stated 468 ft.
I rebooted the LX7000 and reset it and again the recoded altitude was
460. and this altitude was reflected in the glide-slope calculation.
It showed I need 320 ft less altitude that I should have needed.

Now comes the strange part: I checked another LX 7000 in another
DG-1000 and it reported 460 ft also while sitting at 137 ft.

Any suggestions?
Heinz

Paul,
Yes, unit was set to Airport Altitude of 137 ft at power-up.
Ooops, "recoded" should have been "reported".

New info:
I reset QNH in flight to to the new reported value of 30.46 which made
no significant change to the altitude read-out; still about 500 ft
higher than the altimeter.
I did the same later on the ground after the reboot; again no
significant effect.

New question: Does the unit display Baro-Altitude? I always thought
so, based on prior flights. I thought the only time you get GPS-
Altitude is on the GPS-page.

Thanks,
Heinz
Old May 1st 11, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Heinz,

Which displayed altitude are you looking at? The unit uses the user
adjusted altitude for final glide calculations, but the internal logger uses
a non-adjusted altitude. The unit may be able to display both altitudes.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

[...]

Wanted: LX7000, LX7007 or LX8000 Erich Soaring 1 September 21st 09 04:42 PM
Wanted LX7000 or LX7007 Erich Soaring 1 December 24th 08 12:58 PM
LX7000 with 302 experience Tuno Soaring 0 March 12th 07 03:52 PM
Electronic versus Pneumatic compensation in LX7000 [email protected] Soaring 8 September 15th 05 02:49 AM
SeeYou to LX7000 Waypoint Task Files Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 1 May 28th 05 12:22 AM