Stupid question about autogas

Old February 25th 04, 04:32 AM
Paul Folbrecht

Default Stupid question about autogas

If I buy a 152 getting the autogas STC appeals to me a lot for the
obvious reason (economy).

What I'm wondering about is exactly how the pilots that are running
autogas are getting it to the airport. I can't imagine the typical
answer is much different than "carting it there in cans" but even a 152
is going to require 5 5-gallon cans for a single fillup! That's a lot
of cans. Is there a better way?

Old February 25th 04, 05:25 AM
Jay Honeck

What I'm wondering about is exactly how the pilots that are running
autogas are getting it to the airport. I can't imagine the typical
answer is much different than "carting it there in cans" but even a 152
is going to require 5 5-gallon cans for a single fillup! That's a lot
of cans. Is there a better way?

Yep, it's called "build your own fuel truck." In my case, our fuel truck
is known as "The Mighty Grape." (For reasons which will become obvious
when you see the pix!)

Read the whole story about building our fuel truck at
http://alexisparkinn.com/fuel_truck.htm . It's paid for itself many times
over, AND it provides us with daily, reliable transportation!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 25th 04, 11:50 AM
Dennis O'Connor

That way works well...BTW, do you burn 25 gallons every time you go to the
airport?
denny
hlink.net...

Old February 25th 04, 01:03 PM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 04:32:10 +0000, Paul Folbrecht wrote:

answer is much different than "carting it there in cans" but even a 152
is going to require 5 5-gallon cans for a single fillup! That's a lot
of cans. Is there a better way?

I've never run my plane out of fuel, so I never have to carry the full
amount of fuel back to the airport. You'll find that 3 cans will do fine.

Old February 25th 04, 01:10 PM
jls

"Paul Folbrecht" wrote in message
hlink.net...
If I buy a 152 getting the autogas STC appeals to me a lot for the
obvious reason (economy).

What I'm wondering about is exactly how the pilots that are running
autogas are getting it to the airport. I can't imagine the typical
answer is much different than "carting it there in cans" but even a 152
is going to require 5 5-gallon cans for a single fillup! That's a lot
of cans. Is there a better way?

I have seen this in the back of a pickup: a 50-gallon barrel with 12-volt
pump from Northern Handyman, a retracting grounding cable, and a gas nozzle
just like you see at the gas station.

Old February 25th 04, 01:16 PM
Rosspilot

I use (3) 5-gal red plastic containers. It's pretty easy for me to dump them
in--even with a high wing. At my field, I can drive right to my plane, so
carrying them is not an issue. Since my tanks always have a mix of avgas and
autofuel, I never need more than 15 gals at a time. I have it down to a pretty
simple routine. I buy my avgas at a nearby field's self-serve station using a
Phillips credit card, where members of the local pilot's assn get a
discount--currently avgas there is $2.47. Auto fuel is running around $1.45.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old February 25th 04, 01:36 PM

Exactly my point. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't fly the
airplane until the "fuel-low" light comes on like I do in my car. I fill my Cherokee
(50 gal tanks) with 6 gallon cans. I find that unless I just came back from a trip and
the tanks are fairly empty, just stopping by the gas station an filling up one or two
on the way to the airport is enough. How often do you fly your 152 more than the 2-2.5
hours you can get in a two 6-gallon cans?

The fuel truck would be great if you flew long distances a lot. If you fly
infrequently or fairly locally, filling from cans isn't that bad. I highly recommend
getting a water-separating filter of some sort, however... pump gas can have a bit of
crud/water in it.

I'm assuming that the 152 qualifies for the 91-octane STC from Petersen only,
right? I've been using 93 A.K.I cargas in my 180 hp O-360 for almost a year (probably
100 hours with cross-countries and instrument training). Haven't had any troubles
(except lack of fouled plugs and more money in the wallet). I do like to keep 20% or
better in 100LL in the takeoff tank... especially in the summer. Probably not
necessary, but the extra detonation margin makes me feel a bit better.

-Cory

:
: What I'm wondering about is exactly how the pilots that are running
: autogas are getting it to the airport. I can't imagine the typical
: answer is much different than "carting it there in cans" but even a 152
: is going to require 5 5-gallon cans for a single fillup! That's a lot
: of cans. Is there a better way?
:

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old February 25th 04, 02:31 PM
Greg Burkhart

"Paul Folbrecht" wrote in message
hlink.net...
If I buy a 152 getting the autogas STC appeals to me a lot for the
obvious reason (economy).

What I'm wondering about is exactly how the pilots that are running
autogas are getting it to the airport. I can't imagine the typical
answer is much different than "carting it there in cans" but even a 152
is going to require 5 5-gallon cans for a single fillup! That's a lot
of cans. Is there a better way?

Everybody's talking about taking the autogas to the airport... How about
just going to the airports that have autogas? I'm moving my airplane one of
these days to the local airport that offers autogas.

There are several airports within 30 miles that have autogas. I plan my
trips through those...

Old February 25th 04, 03:10 PM
Dave S

What are the legalities of transporting more than 55 gallons of
hazardous materials in your locale? Gasoline IS a hazardous material,
you know. Thats one of the reasons that the nice tanks that are designed
to be carried in pickup truck beds are smaller than that quantity
(unless tied into the vehicle's fuel system)

Things to consider....
Vehicle Licensing?
Driver Training and licensing?
Placarding?

Dave

Newps wrote:

I have a 100 gallon tank on a 4x8 trailer. There is a battery mounted
behind the tank for the 12 volt pump. Unless I am going on a trip I
normally fly with about 40 gallons in my tanks that have an 84 gallon max.

Old February 25th 04, 03:18 PM
TripFarmer

I had a 40 gal. steel tank (14 guage) welded for me with a baffle inside. Cost
of steel about $80. $200 for a 13 gpm pump. $15 for a good filter. $20 for a
good hose. I bought an dinstalled a trailer hitch on my SUV and bought a cargo
carrier. Total cost of hitch an dcarrier about $350. I had about $650 in the
total setup. I buy $1.70 fuel (93 octane) instead of 100ll at $3.00. In 8
months I'm ahead of the game. In other words, I've saved over $800.00 so far.

Trip

In article k.net,
says...

If I buy a 152 getting the autogas STC appeals to me a lot for the
obvious reason (economy).

What I'm wondering about is exactly how the pilots that are running
autogas are getting it to the airport. I can't imagine the typical
answer is much different than "carting it there in cans" but even a 152
is going to require 5 5-gallon cans for a single fillup! That's a lot
of cans. Is there a better way?

Stupid Question About Newsgroups RST Engineering General Aviation 1 January 17th 05 05:59 PM
stupid question JaKoB General Aviation 2 November 9th 04 09:48 AM
Engine swap..... maybe a stupid question JD Butler Owning 5 February 23rd 04 10:29 PM
Stupid question about flight testing and "the envelope" Scott Ferrin Military Aviation 12 January 7th 04 03:56 AM
Stupid super cub question Robert Loer Home Built 9 November 22nd 03 05:28 PM