Mode S to become requirement?

Old July 12th 04, 02:35 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Default Mode S to become requirement?

There has been talk of making Mode S a requirement sometime in the future.
Our transponder is giving trouble again. Does it make any sense to consider
putting in a Mode S transponder now, if we have to replace ours? We can get
a yellow-tagged Mode C transponder or even a new exchange from Narco
reasonably cheaply (for avionics, that is), but will it become a boat anchor
when (if?) Mode S becomes a requirement. Thoughts?

Thanks

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

Old July 12th 04, 03:06 PM
kage

Bob,

I'd buy the Garmin TPX 330, with the thought of TRAFFIC.

Next best thing to TCAS, and in at least one way, better. It shows a
direction of flight line that TCAS does not. Of course, you'll also need a
430 to go with for display.

Narco? How do they stay in business. Their radios aren't heavy enough to be
anchors!

Karl

Old July 12th 04, 03:40 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Jeeze,

I just checked on the prices of the Garmin GTX 330, and the King
equivalents, and either make is in the $5,000 range. We can get a
pin-for-pin compatable Narco that slides into our existing AT50 tray for
just over $1,000. On that basis alone, I doubt that a Mode S requirement is
coming anytime soon. Sorry I asked.

Old July 12th 04, 11:38 PM
Brian Sponcil

Well you CAN get a kt-70 mode S from JA Air for $500. Of course it'll be
missing its faceplate which you'll either have to have custom made by a
plastic millwork shop or you can pony up the eyeball exploding $1300 to have
king do it. Either way you're WELL below the $5,000 new units. Of course
you won't get traffic or weather but still....

-Brian
N33431

Old July 13th 04, 02:49 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Where are these $500 transponders? I have a machine shop in my basement. I
could make a faceplate, although I doubt that the FAA would approve. Are
these things yellow tagged?

Old July 13th 04, 03:20 PM
Jay Masino

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
Where are these $500 transponders? I have a machine shop in my basement. I
could make a faceplate, although I doubt that the FAA would approve. Are
these things yellow tagged?

I doubt the FAA would even care about a faceplate. The electronics aren't
changing, and the basic structural mounting of the radio isn't changing.

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old July 14th 04, 11:25 PM
Turd Furgeson

You can contact them via their webpage:

http://www.jaair.com/home.php

I got mine via JA Deals on eBay for $499. It comes with an aluminum
facepate that you have to "fix up" to make look nice. If you end up going
that route let me know and I'll tell you what I did with mine.

As mentioned previously the avionics shop and the FAA didn't seem to care a
lick about the lack of a decent faceplate. The 337 went through fine and
the transponder works great. Just looks ugly. BTW - I ended up paying more
for the install than the stupid transponder (new tray, antenna, labor, etc
ended up $800)

-Brian
N33431