Refinishing wooden prop

Old December 17th 05, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Refinishing wooden prop

I have an otherwise airworthy wooden prop that could use refinishing and
I'm seeking advice on how to do the refinish. What's the best way to
remove the old finish? Will strippers cause the prop to delaminate?
What's the best or most commonly used finish?

Thanks
Old December 17th 05, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I would not use a stripper or solvent. No telling what that might do to the
glue. My prop manufacturer says to refinish his props with "a good
polyurethane", so I'd hand sand the prop then apply a coat or two of poly.

KB

Old December 17th 05, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

I would not use a stripper or solvent. No telling what that might do to

the
glue. My prop manufacturer says to refinish his props with "a good
polyurethane", so I'd hand sand the prop then apply a coat or two of poly.

Is this going to be a flying or nonflying prop, after this?

If you are going to fly it, hand sand and poly, like KB said.

If it was going on a wall, I would get a random orbital sander and go to it,
taking all of the old finish off, filling in any nicks or voids, then two
coats of sanding sealer, then two coats of high gloss poly.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 17th 05, 10:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

However, if it's going on the end of a crankshaft, get thee to a propshop
and let them do it.

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

Old December 17th 05, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Thanks for all the replies. The prop is destined to fly, at least for a
while, on the end of a C-85 crank. There is small nick on the end of one
blade, so I'll probably let a prop shop trim it and do the refinish.

IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 6th 03 11:43 PM
FS: 114 inch wooden prop minot piper e Aviation Marketplace 0 November 21st 03 04:01 AM
Wooden Prop minot piper e Home Built 1 October 26th 03 11:39 PM
Wooden Prop Brian O'Sullivan Aviation Marketplace 3 October 13th 03 02:34 PM
Wooden Prop Ian Donaldson Aviation Marketplace 0 October 13th 03 11:30 AM