question about homebuild gliders

Old October 17th 05, 07:05 AM
HVC HVC is offline
Junior Member

Default question about homebuild gliders

hello,

I'm new here in the forum so I want to say hello all first!

I would like to know if anyone can help me with one question:

I,m a airplane pilot and lately I am fliying gliders, some old gliders models so I am want to build my own glider, a simple model and I would like to know any advice that you can give about it, as well gliders websites or any other related that you think that could be usefull to made this.

regards

HVC
Old October 17th 05, 11:45 AM
Mal

DG-Flugzeugbau GmbH
LAK
Mdm1Fox - high performance aerobatic glider
PW-5 Smyk
Schempp-Hirth

Some links to glider manufactures.

http://www.sailplanedirectory.com/MnfList.cfm?MnfID=all

Old October 17th 05, 11:03 PM
Bela

Lots of homebuilt experience at the US Vintage Sailplane organization,
see URL below.

Bela

http://www.vintagesailplane.org/

Old October 18th 05, 12:58 AM
Capt. Geoffry Thorpe

"HVC" wrote in message

hello,

I'm new here in the forum so I want to say hello all first!

I would like to know if anyone can help me with one question:

I,m a airplane pilot and lately I am fliying gliders, some old gliders
models so I am want to build my own glider, a simple model and I would
like to know any advice that you can give about it, as well gliders
websites or any other related that you think that could be usefull to
made this.

http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/

Is one spot to look at. Homebuilding doesn't seem to be as popular with
glider drivers.

Some like the Woodstock and Cherokee are pretty low performance. Schreader's
designs are a bit dated, but have moderate performance. Trying to build a
"High performance" glider with composit materials would require a real love
for sanding and filling and sanding and filling and...

There are a few ultralight homebuilt designs out there too.

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old October 18th 05, 02:11 AM
Vaughn

"Capt. Geoffry Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in message

There are a few ultralight homebuilt designs out there too.

and the occasional kit.

Vaughn

Old October 18th 05, 02:27 AM
Eric Greenwell

HVC wrote:

hello,

I'm new here in the forum so I want to say hello all first!

I would like to know if anyone can help me with one question:

I,m a airplane pilot and lately I am fliying gliders, some old gliders
models so I am want to build my own glider, a simple model and I would
like to know any advice that you can give about it, as well gliders
websites or any other related that you think that could be usefull to
made this.

Some production gliders, like the Apis, are available in kit form. I
think this would be a better option than trying to build an older glider
from drawings: it would be a lot quicker, you'd have factory support,
and the glider would likely have a much better resale value (meaning:
you'd get a bigger fraction of your money out of it).

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 18th 05, 06:31 AM
Wayne Paul

Judah Milgram's HP-11 has got to be the best performance for the dollar, and
its' ready to fly! (http://www.tux.org/~milgram/hp11/)

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F'
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old October 19th 05, 07:24 PM
An Empty Pocket

imho, you should try http://esoaring.com/

and talking about the glider you dream to build, please consider if would be
easier, cheaper and WITH THE SAME PERFORMANCE to make an ugly* 20 meters
glider than a pretty* 15 meters one.

*pretty glider.- intensive desing, expensive materials, complicated
construction, skillfull labour, many hours ...

*ugly glider.- metal, wood, fabric, plastic or whatever sanded with a hammer

well, of course take lightly my descriptions, even the 15 and 20 meter
sizes, but i think they explain quite good my idea.

good luck!

At 01:30 18 October 2005, Eric Greenwell wrote:
HVC wrote:

[...]

Change 'netto' to 'net' to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old October 19th 05, 07:44 PM
Eric Greenwell

An Empty Pocket wrote:
imho, you should try http://esoaring.com/

and talking about the glider you dream to build, please consider if would be
easier, cheaper and WITH THE SAME PERFORMANCE to make an ugly* 20 meters
glider than a pretty* 15 meters one.

*pretty glider.- intensive desing, expensive materials, complicated
construction, skillfull labour, many hours ...

*ugly glider.- metal, wood, fabric, plastic or whatever sanded with a hammer

well, of course take lightly my descriptions, even the 15 and 20 meter
sizes, but i think they explain quite good my idea.

If you buy a kit, there is no design, and the kits for fiberglass
sailplanes are not complicated because it's mostly gluing pre-molded
pieces together. The skill involved is not greater than that required by
a metal or a wood and fabric glider. Smaller is easier to work on than
bigger, given the work space most people have. And finally, when you
eventually sell your glider produced from an glider that was also
factory produced, you will recover a greater percentage of your time and
money.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA