US team silence

Old July 27th 18, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default US team silence

"Facebook is for giggly girls and Russians.Â*
Real men don't look at it."

"Real men" keep up with the times and don't make excuses when the rest of the world passes them by. If you're still scratching around an obscure message board for your news, you're behind. "Man up" and start an account. You'll be surprised who you know on there and see more pictures of your grandkids. I manage the Facebook page for my club and use it weekly to promote soaring globally and locally. It draws new members every year, and allows past members to stay connected with old friends.
DT.
Old July 27th 18, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 12:47:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
"Facebook is for giggly girls and Russians.Â*
Real men don't look at it."

"Real men" keep up with the times and don't make excuses when the rest of the world passes them by. If you're still scratching around an obscure message board for your news, you're behind. "Man up" and start an account. You'll be surprised who you know on there and see more pictures of your grandkids. I manage the Facebook page for my club and use it weekly to promote soaring globally and locally. It draws new members every year, and allows past members to stay connected with old friends.
DT.

Funny, you posted that on "an obscure message board".

I've been on usenet newsgroups since before it was called The Internet.

No thanks to Facebook, the time-wasting privacy-invading corporate-centralized offshoot where the users are the product and the advertisers are the clients.

I am glad that the US team is now posting stuff on their own web page
https://ussoaringteams.org/news/
even if most of the stories are just stubs that link to pages on Facebook. Those pages are mercifully set up so they're readable even if one is not logged into FB, without half the window covered with a demand that one get an account.
Old July 27th 18, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Agreed.

I only want to be "product" if I chose to be.

There is a page here with links to the current WGC contest that someone thoughtfully posted so peeps can decide on the method of info dispersal.

I am NOT glued to my smartphone or some other sites.

No, I am not a Luddite, I spent quite a few years doing field service. I had to deal with Windows 95 and up.
Old July 27th 18, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Here is the link to multiple sites for info......
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!...ng/LcdvubNyy9Q
Old July 28th 18, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

It's a small thing, but I must say I really appreciate the post card that arrived yesterday, signed by all of the team members, thanking me for my support. It's a nice touch.

The Junior Team sent individual thank you notes last year, too.

Well done.

Paul A.
Jupiter, FL
Old July 28th 18, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 1:20:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I've been on usenet newsgroups since before it was called The Internet.

Ah, the ArpaNet, I remember it well. I think I got my
first Unix login around 1973 or 4. There was a lot of
controversy over whether the soc.something newsgroups
should be banned from company networks. Wild and woolly
days.

Jim Beckman

Old July 30th 18, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 4:17:21 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 1:20:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I've been on usenet newsgroups since before it was called The Internet.

Ah, the ArpaNet, I remember it well. I think I got my
first Unix login around 1973 or 4. There was a lot of
controversy over whether the soc.something newsgroups
should be banned from company networks. Wild and woolly
days.

Jim Beckman

We had one of the first ArpaNet nodes at my school. Sat there on a pallet in the computer room for a while, then this guy named Al came and plugged it in...

Anti-War Up - A time to break the silence Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D. Piloting 3 June 1st 10 09:36 AM
silence Ed Aerobatics 0 November 9th 09 10:32 PM
A Moment of Silence. plasticguy Soaring 0 October 27th 04 06:43 PM
Radio Silence and Death over Frankfort ArtKramr Military Aviation 14 February 11th 04 08:46 PM
Moment of silence AZSKYBUM Soaring 0 December 23rd 03 04:57 AM