Would this plane have flown?

Old March 23rd 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Default Would this plane have flown?

And we have your name. Guess which one more people will remember?

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Then you answered the question, IF you really had a complete
repair and the A&P did make a "return to service" entry. If
he did all that and you did a test flight [you really should
not have carried a passenger, which the A&P would be] and
made the pilot's return to service after test flight, then
what was your question, should you have just flown it away
without any work/inspection or repair?

As for your family, my comment was about your judgment, if
you want to substitute three strangers from the beach,
that's fine with me.

BTW, since some FAA types read these groups, they have your
N number.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
| Was it repaired and completely inspected or were more
| repairs done on return to the USA? The indications that
| had from the thread was that more repairs/inspections
were
| done on the airplane after it returned to the US. Yet
you
| carried your family after major repairs caused by
damage.

| Quoting from the original post "I was able to call an A&P
to come down
| to Mexico and swap it for me." Sadly, the other Mooney
owners wants his
| back (go figure) so yes, more repairs were also done back
home (like
| ordering a factory new aileron for me, paint etc). Yes it
was
| inspected in Mexico by the A&P doing the work and all wing
panels
| relevant to aileron control were removed before the A&P
got in the
| plane with me and we performed the test flight. I honestly
don't know
| what else to do with regard to inspection other than
having had the A&P
| look at it. I could ask Mooney if they want to send an
engineer down
| but I don't think that is going to happen.
|
| Jim, I'm still highly offended by your comment about my
family.

Old March 23rd 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Nice research.
"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
om...
| That it may be illegal and that it needs another log entry
are two separate
| issues. There's also nothing wrong with using a Mexican
mechanic if he/she
| is an FAA-certified A&P. You can download the airmen
database from the
| FAA.GOV website and check for certified mechanics living
there (as well as
| in any other country, they even separate the files for
you, domestic and

http://www.landings.com/evird.acgi$pass*81558983!_h-www.landings.com/_landings/pages/search/certs-ap.html

| ...and search for COUNTRY = MEXICO and off you go.
|
| Also, if you do a little bit of research you'll find this
interesting
| document...
|
| http://www.bajabushpilots.com/news-pop.php?NewsID=44
|
| ...which contains this interesting little tidbit of useful
information:

| "2) A&P mechanics working on US aircraft in Mexico
| Requested by the BBP (Baja Bush Pilots) at the meeting,
the DGAC (Dirección
| General de Aeronáutica Civil), after consulting with their
legal persons (at
| the meeting) indicated that this requirement was not a
rule or law and that
| US A&P mechanics can work on US aircraft in Mexico without
the presence of
| or signing off by a Mexican A&P. This major change will
make repairs much
| simpler and less expensive for anyone who has a problem in
Mexico. The DG
| indicated that he will be sending a message to all ICAO
airports addressing
| this situation this week."
|
| All of this is academically-speaking, of course. Don't
take it personally,
| I'm just trying to show the benefits of doing a bit of
googledigging before
| heading off in that nice Mooney of yours to a remote
location in a foreign
| country.
|
| Juan
|
| "Robert M. Gary" wrote in message

ups.com...
| not having made arrangements/contacts
| with a local mechanic in case there were some kind of
problem, etc

| Having a local mechanic work on your plane only solves
1/2 the problem
| because the plane is again illegal as soon as you get
back to the
| states since you would need another log entry from a
U.S. mechanic. I
| think its better to skip the Mexican mechanic and just
have the A&P do

from http://www.SecureIX.com ***

Old March 23rd 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

I meet people all the time who say, "Hey Jim, didn't you go
to Spartan 35 years ago?" or some other such. I always use
my real name, Google for "James H. Macklin" (use the quotes)
and I'm not the Ph.D from California.

"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
om...
| And we have your name. Guess which one more people will
remember?

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| Then you answered the question, IF you really had a
complete
| repair and the A&P did make a "return to service" entry.
If
| he did all that and you did a test flight [you really
should
| not have carried a passenger, which the A&P would be]
and
| made the pilot's return to service after test flight,
then
| what was your question, should you have just flown it
away
| without any work/inspection or repair?
|
| As for your family, my comment was about your judgment,
if
| you want to substitute three strangers from the beach,
| that's fine with me.
|

| BTW, since some FAA types read these groups, they have
your
| N number.
|

| "Robert M. Gary" wrote in message

ups.com...
| | Was it repaired and completely inspected or were more
| | repairs done on return to the USA? The indications
that
| | had from the thread was that more
repairs/inspections
| were
| | done on the airplane after it returned to the US.
Yet
| you
| | carried your family after major repairs caused by
| damage.
| |
| | Quoting from the original post "I was able to call an
A&P
| to come down
| | to Mexico and swap it for me." Sadly, the other Mooney
| owners wants his
| | back (go figure) so yes, more repairs were also done
back
| home (like
| | ordering a factory new aileron for me, paint etc).
Yes it
| was
| | inspected in Mexico by the A&P doing the work and all
wing
| panels
| | relevant to aileron control were removed before the
A&P
| got in the
| | plane with me and we performed the test flight. I
honestly
| don't know
| | what else to do with regard to inspection other than
| having had the A&P
| | look at it. I could ask Mooney if they want to send an
| engineer down
| | but I don't think that is going to happen.
| |
| | Jim, I'm still highly offended by your comment about
my
| family.
| |
| | -Robert
| |

Old March 23rd 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Been thinking about a test flight to test any airplane after
such damage repair, before carrying passengers.

A full range of control inputs at no more than Va for the
weight, followed with autopilot operation. Then in small
steps of increasing speed up Vne with moderate control
displacement.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Jim Macklin" wrote
in message news:gnDUf.476$t22.101@dukeread08...
|I meet people all the time who say, "Hey Jim, didn't you go
| to Spartan 35 years ago?" or some other such. I always
use
| my real name, Google for "James H. Macklin" (use the
quotes)
| and I'm not the Ph.D from California.
|

| "Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
| om...
|| And we have your name. Guess which one more people will
| remember?
|| "Jim Macklin"
wrote
| in message
|| Then you answered the question, IF you really had a
| complete
|| repair and the A&P did make a "return to service"
entry.
| If
|| he did all that and you did a test flight [you really
| should
|| not have carried a passenger, which the A&P would be]
| and
|| made the pilot's return to service after test flight,
| then
|| what was your question, should you have just flown it
| away
|| without any work/inspection or repair?
|| As for your family, my comment was about your judgment,
| if
|| you want to substitute three strangers from the beach,
|| that's fine with me.
|| BTW, since some FAA types read these groups, they have
| your
|| N number.
|| "Robert M. Gary" wrote in message

ups.com...
|| | Was it repaired and completely inspected or were
more
|| | repairs done on return to the USA? The indications
| that
|| | had from the thread was that more
| repairs/inspections
|| were
|| | done on the airplane after it returned to the US.
| Yet
|| you
|| | carried your family after major repairs caused by
|| damage.
|| |
|| | Quoting from the original post "I was able to call an
| A&P
|| to come down
|| | to Mexico and swap it for me." Sadly, the other
Mooney
|| owners wants his
|| | back (go figure) so yes, more repairs were also done
| back
|| home (like
|| | ordering a factory new aileron for me, paint etc).
| Yes it
|| was
|| | inspected in Mexico by the A&P doing the work and all
| wing
|| panels
|| | relevant to aileron control were removed before the
| A&P
|| got in the
|| | plane with me and we performed the test flight. I
| honestly
|| don't know
|| | what else to do with regard to inspection other than
|| having had the A&P
|| | look at it. I could ask Mooney if they want to send
an
|| engineer down
|| | but I don't think that is going to happen.
|| |
|| | Jim, I'm still highly offended by your comment about
| my
|| family.
|| |
|| | -Robert
|| |

Old March 24th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
m...
What is bizarre is reading what I said and translating that into "every
location to which you fly." That is absurd. Note that the original post
mentions a REMOTE LOCATION IN MEXICO. Enough said.

No, what is bizarre is having two people not understand what you meant, and
blaming both of them rather than considering that your words might have been
ambiguous (they were).

Old March 24th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

They were not.

"Purely from an academic standpoint, I'm curious why people go into remote
areas of a foreign country (particularly one like Mexico) without some way
of calling for help if they get stuck, not having made arrangements/contacts
with a local mechanic in case there were some kind of problem, etc. People
who can afford having an A&P come down to Mexico to fix a problem ought to
be able to afford a little planning ahead for eventualities just like this
one. Academically speaking, of course. "

Not a word about "every location to which you fly." Very specific mention of
"remote areas of a foreign country." As I said, enough said.

Old March 24th 06, 08:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
om...
They were not.

They were so.

[...]
Not a word about "every location to which you fly." Very specific mention
of "remote areas of a foreign country." As I said, enough said.

You have no desire to see the truth, because it implies defect in your post.
However, the fact remains that the defect exists. The proof is in the way

As far as your claim that you were clear about "remote areas of a foreign
country" go, that clause was interpreted by both me and Steve to be
connected only to the clause immediately following, with the subsequent
comma marking the beginning of an entirely new clause.

As I said, it is bizarre that you would ignore the ample evidence of the
ambiguity in your post, and continue to insist that it was not.

Pete

Old March 24th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
om...
They were not.

They were so.

[...]
Not a word about "every location to which you fly." Very specific mention
of "remote areas of a foreign country." As I said, enough said.

You have no desire to see the truth...

Wrong again, because the only truth is that I don't have time to waste with
irrelevant, prepubescent arguments. Shoo, back to the playpen.

plonk

Old March 24th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Juan Jimenez wrote:

Purely from an academic standpoint, I'm curious why people go into remote
areas of a foreign country (particularly one like Mexico) without some way
of calling for help if they get stuck,

I would hope, if it developed into a survival situation, he activate his
elt. That seems reasonable.

Old March 24th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

("Juan Jimenez" wrote)
Wrong again, because the only truth is that I don't have time to waste
with irrelevant, prepubescent arguments. Shoo, back to the playpen.

plonk

Plonk?

Now Juan, you can't be sending your virtual playmates away whenever you
disagree with them.

Go out to the cornfield and bring Peter back - right now.

Thank you.

Montblack-in-the-box ...oh crap!!