End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

Old September 26th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Eiler

Default End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

At 02:12 26 September 2006, Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:

Personally, I know many pilots who's biggest (if
not only) interest in OLC is precisely as in
'What-I-did' forum (or, rather, what others did).
On the other hand, I can think of only two or three
who actually *compete* there -- meaning they
plan their flights for OLC, watch their placing
closely, etc.

Yuliy

Since you seem to be one of the loudest proponents
of the let me fly as long as I want after sunset
group. Could you give us a little background so
that we can better understand where your coming
from?
We can see from your flight file that you fly a
motor glider. Would you say that having the motor
has any influence on your willingness to fly past
sunset or even twilight?
Also are you a U.S. certificated glider pilot?

Martin Eiler

Old September 26th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Yuliy Gerchikov

"Martin Eiler" wrote in message

Yuliy

Since you seem to be one of the loudest proponents
of the let me fly as long as I want after sunset
group.

Martin,

You seem to have missed every one of my points completely. "[L]et me fly as
long as I want" was not one of them. If you wish a hint, we were talking
about OLC (rules and roles).

Could you give us a little background so
that we can better understand where your coming
from?

Drop me an email and we can discuss my background there -- you don't want me
to bother the entire r.a.s. with my resume.

Martin Eiler

Old September 28th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Haluza

Default End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants (long)

Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:
Doug,
This is a lot of very fascinating reading, but a lo-o-ong way to the punch
line. Most people are interested in flying, then posting flights to OLC and
then reading the proceeds of the SSA BoD (maybe) -- in that order.

Well, the devil is in the details. You have been throwing around a lot
of wild accusations on this forum (which you only recently joined)
including that "rules [are] being changed on the fly." And each time
these accusations are refuted, you just make new ones. So, instead of
admitting that you were wrong about this, you now accuse me of what,
being boring?

Old September 28th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Haluza

Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:
"Doug Haluza" wrote in message
oups.com...

I think allowing night flying would give too much advantage
to newer motorgliders ordered with lights, and would put the vast
majority of the existing fleet without lights at a severe disadvantage.

This "I think" example pretty much sums up the rulemaking "process" on the
SSA-OLC. Despite the long existing OLC rule that clearly *allows* night
flight (if and as permitted by local regulations), we here can "I think" of
a new rule and start applying (or not applying) it when and where we see
fit.

No, the "I think" means that I am expressing my personal opinion only.
The rest of your statement is your personal opionon only. It's also
incorrect.

Old September 28th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Haluza

Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:
"Doug Haluza" wrote in message
oups.com...

If you look at
the subject line, and the original post to this thread, a reasonable
person would conclude that I ... am
trying to warn pilots in advance, so it does not become a bigger issue.

Just to keep the facts straight, let's say that "in advance" is a bit of an
exaggeration on Doug's part. The thread with the subject "...Warning..." was
posted *after* several flights were suddenly found to appear to be in
violation of the sunset rule.

Yes, and the original post says that too. It's a warning to anyone else
who may think that it's OK to follow in your footsteps.

Old September 28th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Haluza

Graeme Cant wrote:

I have a crazy suggestion too.

So do I. How about if you actually join the community first by
registering for the OLC and then posting some flights, before you jump
in and start telling us what we should or should not be doing.

Old September 28th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Yuliy Gerchikov

"Doug Haluza" wrote in message
ps.com...

this forum (which you only recently joined)

Is this a fact or an opinion? And does it somehow make you more right?

"rules [are] being changed on the fly." And each time
these accusations are refuted, you just make new ones. So, instead of
admitting that you were wrong about this, you now accuse me of what,
being boring?

Alright, I admit: I was wrong about this. The rules aren't just being
changed on the fly. They were first buried in the proceedings of the SSA
Board of Directors, and *then* changed on the fly.

Old September 28th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Haluza

Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:
"Doug Haluza" wrote in message
ps.com...

this forum (which you only recently joined)

Is this a fact or an opinion?

It's an easily verified fact. You have made 26 posts to this group
starting Aug 31, 2006.

And does it somehow make you more right?

Not necessarily, but it is considered poor USENET netiquette for new
members of a group to start right in immediately generating controversy
within the group. And it's really poor manners in any forum to make
personal attacks that are mostly baseless.

Old September 28th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:
Alright, I admit: I was wrong about this. The rules aren't just being
changed on the fly. They were first buried in the proceedings of the SSA
Board of Directors, and *then* changed on the fly.

Yuliy, "the rules" were presented to you during pilot training, and
then you had to be aware of them during any FAA checkride. The OLC and
ANY flight you make must first comply with these.

If every pilot with your attitude decided to not post to the OLC, I
don't think it would be noticed. Unfortunately, on the Internet, any
minority can create a conspiracy out of anything, and in the process
create unfounded Fear Uncertainty and Doubt among those who never would
have had any otherwise. ....sigh

-Tom

Old September 28th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Yuliy Gerchikov

"Doug Haluza" wrote in message
oups.com...

this forum (which you only recently joined)

Is this a fact or an opinion?

It's an easily verified fact. You have made 26 posts to this group
starting Aug 31, 2006.

Doug: you, of all, must know that not verifying facts that you intend to
publish is poor journalism. Intentionally mis-representing the facts,
however, is much worse. You once again have demonstrated your inability to
handle the facts, and your credibility is going through the floor right now.
The saddest thing is that someone so incapable of separating facts from
opinions is responsible for, as we are told, the 99% of SSA-OLC
administration.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...e319adb2338cb/

(With apologies to everybody else... I did not start this senseless
discussion of seniority on this forum, and fully intended to stay on the OLC
issues and not the personal ones.)