flying into SFO at night?

Old June 6th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

Default flying into SFO at night?

I'm thinking of doing a night flight to SFO in a C152. Is this going
to be difficult? Will they let me in? Is that place very busy at
night? I plan on arriving at about midnight. Would a touch and go be
possible, or will they make me do a full stop? If so, where can I
expect to taxi and get fuel? If I have to taxi all around the huge and
complex airport, I'll just land somewhere else and get fuel, rather
than risk getting lost and then ran over by a 747.

What about any other bay area airports that are GA friendly during the
night?

Old June 7th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave J

What about any other bay area airports that are GA friendly during the
night?

You mean among those that are not GA friendly during the day?

It's not hard to get into SJC even during the day, and of course, OAK
has an entirely "separate airport" for GA.

Among the rest, your stuck with the highly limited choices of HWD,
SQL, PAO, APC, DVO, RHV. Most of their towers will be closed at
midnight, but I'm not aware of any curfews that will affect a 152.

Of course, the AF/D (or even airnav.com) has all the answers you need.

-- dave j

Old June 7th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

buttman wrote in news:1181170213.465731.65700
@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I'm thinking of doing a night flight to SFO in a C152. Is this going
to be difficult? Will they let me in? Is that place very busy at
night? I plan on arriving at about midnight. Would a touch and go be
possible, or will they make me do a full stop? If so, where can I
expect to taxi and get fuel? If I have to taxi all around the huge and
complex airport, I'll just land somewhere else and get fuel, rather
than risk getting lost and then ran over by a 747.

Good grief.

Bertie
Old June 7th 07, 01:08 AM posted to alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting
JB

On Jun 6, 7:16 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
buttman wrote in news:1181170213.465731.65700
@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I'm thinking of doing a night flight to SFO in a C152. Is this going
to be difficult? Will they let me in? Is that place very busy at
night? I plan on arriving at about midnight. Would a touch and go be
possible, or will they make me do a full stop? If so, where can I
expect to taxi and get fuel? If I have to taxi all around the huge and
complex airport, I'll just land somewhere else and get fuel, rather
than risk getting lost and then ran over by a 747.

Good grief.

Bertie

Hey, I know...lets ask mxsmanic! I bet he has lots of "experience"
flying in and out of SFO! With taxiing, stops for fuel, even a
layover before heading to Tokyo. I bet his knows the field like a
seasoned pro. On second thought.....this is probably a bad idea.
Never mind.

--Jeff

Old June 7th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Dave J wrote:
Among the rest, your stuck with the highly limited choices of HWD,
SQL, PAO, APC, DVO, RHV. Most of their towers will be closed at
midnight, but I'm not aware of any curfews that will affect a 152.

SJC closes at night as well (can't remember the time and I don't have
my AF/D with me);

I'd like to land in KSFO too eventually, the only Bay Area airport
missing in my list :-) (did land in KNUQ a few times doing Young
Eagles flights). My plan was to call the tower on the phone and
ask them what time would be the least inconvenient. :-)

--Sylvain
Old June 7th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Sylvain wrote:

SJC closes at night as well

I meant, the tower of SJC closes at night

--Sylvain
Old June 7th 07, 01:47 AM posted to alt.usenet.kooks,alt.disasters.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"JB" wrote

On second thought.....this is probably a bad idea.
Never mind.

You should have said, "on first thought, this is probably a bad idea."

And you would have been right. g

Sometimes, this one sounds too much like ........
"you know who."
--
Jim in NC

Old June 7th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Jun 6, 7:10 pm, Dave J wrote:
What about any other bay area airports that are GA friendly during the
night?

You mean among those that are not GA friendly during the day?

It's not hard to get into SJC even during the day, and of course, OAK
has an entirely "separate airport" for GA.

Among the rest, your stuck with the highly limited choices of HWD,
SQL, PAO, APC, DVO, RHV. Most of their towers will be closed at
midnight, but I'm not aware of any curfews that will affect a 152.

Of course, the AF/D (or even airnav.com) has all the answers you need.

-- dave j

I think the poster was asking specifically about SFO, not San
Francisco area airports.

Old June 7th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

My only landing at SFO in recent memory was greeted with a "Here's your $75
landing fee" until they saw my passenger ... Governor Jerry Brown. Things
got a whole bunch warmer thereafter.

Jim

--
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and
dance like no one is watching."

ups.com...

Old June 7th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"bm" == buttman writes:

bm I'm thinking of doing a night flight to SFO in a C152. Is this
bm going to be difficult? Will they let me in? Is that place very
bm busy at night? I plan on arriving at about midnight. Would a
bm touch and go be possible, or will they make me do a full stop?
bm If so, where can I expect to taxi and get fuel? If I have to
bm taxi all around the huge and complex airport, I'll just land
bm somewhere else and get fuel, rather than risk getting lost and
bm then ran over by a 747.

bm What about any other bay area airports that are GA friendly
bm during the night?

I've never landed at SFO but have at all the other GA airports, though
not at night for a long time. I pretty sure you can land at SFO
easily at night because there are no scheduled airlines between about
1 am and...about 5 or 6 am I'll guess. Others have posted in the past
about doing a touch-and-go or similar just to say they did it.

But it sounds like you want to arrive at night, get fuel, and depart?
If so, pick another airport. Any other Bay Area airport will do, I'm
sure they have self-serve fuel at many.
--
To me, it's always a good idea to always carry two sacks of
something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey,

Night Flying. How many PPSEL pilots excersie night priveledges? [email protected] Piloting 42 December 16th 06 04:51 PM
Night flying times Stubby Instrument Flight Rules 27 November 9th 05 11:46 PM
Night Flying Fred Choate Piloting 30 July 17th 05 06:24 PM
Flying at night.... SHIVER ME TIMBERS Rotorcraft 11 February 22nd 05 05:38 PM
Night Flying Tips BoDEAN Piloting 7 May 4th 04 03:22 AM