Logging Simulator Time

Old April 27th 04, 12:05 AM
Bartscher

I went to the source at Frasca and they confirmed that while the 141 can be
used for all of the purposes listed on the website (including instrument
currency which is what I was doing), it should be logged only as simulator
time, and not as total time.

From Frasca (who manufactures everything from FTDs to Level D sims):
"Usually people log it as Simulator / FTD(Flight Training Device) time.
While the time does count toward your flight time training requirement
for instrument for example, airlines, 8710's etc. usually want you to
break them out so it is easier to just leave them separate in a
simulator column and not include them in your total time. The only time
I would put a simulator flight in Total time column would be in a level
D full flight simulator as the airlines use."

Looks like the original responder was right, I stand corrected.

Eric
Old April 27th 04, 01:49 AM
Greg Esres

I went to the source at Frasca...it should be logged only as
simulator time, and not as total time.

If you quoted them accurately, then your interpretation is incorrect.
They merely said it's more convenient to log it in a separate column,
because *some* people want you to break it out. The word "should"
doesn't apply here, because "Total Time" is not defined in the FARs
and therefore there are no rules about logging it.

They are also wrong by saying that the time doesn't belong on an 8710.
It does, and in the Total Time column, because what it asks for is
Total PILOT Time, and FTD time is PILOT time.

Old April 27th 04, 04:55 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Greg Esres wrote in
:

I went to the source at Frasca...it should be logged only as
simulator time, and not as total time.

If you quoted them accurately, then your interpretation is incorrect.
They merely said it's more convenient to log it in a separate column,
because *some* people want you to break it out. The word "should"
doesn't apply here, because "Total Time" is not defined in the FARs
and therefore there are no rules about logging it.

They are also wrong by saying that the time doesn't belong on an 8710.
It does, and in the Total Time column, because what it asks for is
Total PILOT Time, and FTD time is PILOT time.

It is interesting that the 8710 asks for pilot time whereas part 61 often
refers to flight time. For example, you need 250 hours of flight time to
qualify for the commercial. I doubt one could use sim time to count as
flight time,

Old April 27th 04, 05:32 AM
Greg Esres

For example, you need 250 hours of flight time to
qualify for the commercial. I doubt one could use sim time to count as
flight time,

Agreed. Pilot Time Flight Time.

No idea how OK City massages the numbers to verify the candidate has
the required experience. Perhaps they subtract out the FTD times?
Old April 27th 04, 05:49 AM
kage

My instrument instructor, Lyle Flick---"Flick's Foggy Flying" told me that
sim time was to be SUBTACTED in one's logbook. This was b4 more advanced
sims, like the Falcon 50EX sim I get into every six months. But I don't log
that time either, as anything!

Karl

Old April 27th 04, 04:16 PM
Stan Gosnell

"kage" wrote in
:

My instrument instructor, Lyle Flick---"Flick's Foggy Flying" told me
that sim time was to be SUBTACTED in one's logbook. This was b4 more
advanced sims, like the Falcon 50EX sim I get into every six months.
But I don't log that time either, as anything!

I log my sim time, just so I can remember it. I stopped logging time for
anything other than currency long ago, but I still log my flights just so I
can recall what I did when, and the sim flights can be memorable.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old April 27th 04, 06:16 PM
kage

For people who never met Lyle, I'd just like to give a little info about
him. He was a "real man's" pilot. In the summer he was a fire bomber, last
in a C-119 with an additional jet engine on the top.

In the winter, he gave his version of an instrument rating. All time was at
night. All time was actual, and the more ice the better. And we had plenty
here in the NW. When a big front would be coming through you would get a
call from Lyle. "meet you at 9PM at the airport, we're going to Oakland.

He loved to turn off the pitot heat and let the airspeed go. Then turn off
the lights and pull out a cigarette and blow smoke in your face. One of his
ice deterrence moves was always fly V-27 down the coast of WA OR and CA. If
you got too much ice you just turned off your transponder and descended out
over the ocean to let it melt. Then climb back onto V-27 and turn the TXP
back on.

This never killed him. He died several years later of natural causes. His
son was the quarterback for the UW Huskies. His favorite saying, "God hates
cowards!" I can still hear him laughing.

Karl
N185KG, Skywagon "curator"

Old April 27th 04, 10:00 PM
Matt Whiting

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Greg Esres wrote in
:

I went to the source at Frasca...it should be logged only as
simulator time, and not as total time.

If you quoted them accurately, then your interpretation is incorrect.
They merely said it's more convenient to log it in a separate column,
because *some* people want you to break it out. The word "should"
doesn't apply here, because "Total Time" is not defined in the FARs
and therefore there are no rules about logging it.

They are also wrong by saying that the time doesn't belong on an 8710.
It does, and in the Total Time column, because what it asks for is
Total PILOT Time, and FTD time is PILOT time.

It is interesting that the 8710 asks for pilot time whereas part 61 often
refers to flight time. For example, you need 250 hours of flight time to
qualify for the commercial. I doubt one could use sim time to count as
flight time,

I don't see why not, you may count taxi time... :-)

Matt

Old April 28th 04, 03:37 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Matt Whiting wrote in
:

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Greg Esres wrote in
:

[...]

Sure, but in order to log taxi time you must have had the intention of
flying. Just taxiing around doesn't count.