JFK

Old November 17th 03, 11:44 PM
mike regish

"Rachel Carlson" wrote in message
Martin Hotze wrote:

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:31:07 GMT, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Thousands of innocent Iraqis have been
saved.

Saved from what? From beeing hit by allied bombs?

From a regime which filled barrels with the chopped off ears of those just
accused of infidelity to the regime while wives and children were raped.

But
those were the lucky ones, by the accounts that the Wall Street Journal

has
reported. Perhaps where you are from, placing pins in the eyes of

"dissidents"
is standard practice not worthy of being saved from. But I don't think

so.

So they started all this right after 9/11/01, right?

And that was the reason for the war, right? It had nothing to do with the
WTC or WMD's at all, did it. We were just using thiose reasons to cover up
our humanitarian side, huh?

mike regish

Old November 18th 03, 12:08 AM
mike regish

Old November 18th 03, 01:50 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Andrew Gideon wrote:

I thought I'd been taught this story to help ameliorate what I do to the
German language.

Nothing can ameliorate what *I* do to the German language.

George Patterson
The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians (ie. inducting a gay
bishop) are an affront to Christians everywhere. I am just thankful that
the church's founder, Henry VIII, and his wife Catherine of Aragon, and his
wife Anne Boleyn, and his wife Jane Seymour, and his wife Anne of Cleves,
and his wife Katherine Howard, and his wife Catherine Parr are no longer
here to suffer through this assault on traditional Christian marriages.
Old November 18th 03, 01:52 AM
G.R. Patterson III

"Tom S." wrote:

Should have said "Wo bis der Bahnhof".

Well, that wouldn't have helped us, since the bus was parked in front of the
"New Palace".

Old November 18th 03, 04:23 AM
Michael 182

FWIW, I've enjoyed this thread, and evidently a lot of others did as well.
R.A.P. seems to survive an occasional off-topic thread just fine.

Michael

"Philip Sondericker" wrote in message
John, your original post (quoted below) was eloquent and genuine. Only on
Usenet would a simple, heartfelt sentiment such as "May he rest in peace"
provoke such an onslaught as we've seen.

Old November 18th 03, 05:06 PM
Robert Perkins

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:38:32 +0100, Martin Hotze
wrote:

It's better than that. It means that Germany need not field a large
defense force,

would Germany _*NEED*_ a larger defense force without NATO or the US?

Until Europe is more united than it is now, yes. EU member nations
haven't given up their national military forces in favor of a common
defense force.

well, not the stupiedst of ideas one can have. :-)

Of course. But only if you can get the thugs to play along.

Rob

--
[You] don't make your kids P.C.-proof by keeping them
ignorant, you do it by helping them learn how to

-- Orson Scott Card
Old November 18th 03, 06:19 PM
Frank

Rachel Carlson wrote:

Thank goodness we finally have a President who not only gets the message,
but takes action.

It's just a shame that the only message he "gets" comes from the oil
industry.

--
Frank....H
Old November 18th 03, 07:05 PM
David Brooks

wrote:

It's better than that. It means that Germany need not field a large
defense force,

would Germany _*NEED*_ a larger defense force without NATO or the US?

Until Europe is more united than it is now, yes. EU member nations
haven't given up their national military forces in favor of a common
defense force.

I was going to point out that having the states' economies so interdependent
is a powerful disincentive, in terms of pure self-interest, to make war, so
we needn't worry about independent armies so much.

Then I remembered what happened in the US in 1861.

-- David Brooks

Old November 18th 03, 09:20 PM
Robert Perkins

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:19:21 -0600, Frank
wrote:

Rachel Carlson wrote:

Thank goodness we finally have a President who not only gets the message,
but takes action.

It's just a shame that the only message he "gets" comes from the oil
industry.

That's a point I just don't get. The Texas oil industry stands to lose
its shirt if the market is flooded with cheap Iraqi oil, since more
supply equals a lower price.

Not correct?

Rob