CallAir A9 compared to a Pawnee

Old October 23rd 19, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Default CallAir A9 compared to a Pawnee

To those that have flown a CallAir A9 how does it compare to a Pawnee in flying? Same engine so I am guessing the tug performance is about the same.
Old October 23rd 19, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I found the CallAir A9 to be a horrible airplane to fly due to the
location of the stick.Â* It required an extended arm, unable to rest the
elbow on the thigh.Â* That said, it was the easiest landing tail dragger
I've ever flown due to the shock struts on the main gear. With its 290
hp engine and fixed pitch propeller, I don't think it towed as well as a
260 hp Pawnee with a constant speed prop.

My experience is at Moriarty, NM at high density altitudes.Â* I have
about 300 hours in the CallAir and over 500 in the Pawnee.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 23rd 19, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Thanks Dan that was the exact feedback I wanted!
Old October 23rd 19, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Callair has cockpit heat...
Old October 23rd 19, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

The Pawnee does too. I’ve been looking at YouTube videos trying to decide if I want to rebuild an A9. It might be comfortable for me since I am on the taller side. (As far as the stick goes.)

Interestingly the Mexicans have re-engined it with a Jacobs and modified the airframe.
Old October 23rd 19, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The callair could be ordered with the jake from the factory back in the day. Having sprayed with both the callair and the pawnee I can tell ya the cal turns way better than the pawner ( once u learn a few tricks) when carrying a load
Old October 23rd 19, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 5:29:46 PM UTC-6, Charles Longley wrote:
To those that have flown a CallAir A9 how does it compare to a Pawnee in flying? Same engine so I am guessing the tug performance is about the same.

I only have half a dozen tows in the CallAir but I think you are right, the performance is about the same as a Pawnee. I towed during a contest that had 1 Scout, 3 CallAirs and 3 Pawnees. One day the crosswind started to pickup. The Scout pulled out first then the 3 Callairs pulled out. All 3 of us Pawnee pilots were happy to keep going.
Old October 23rd 19, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Not the one that I flew, nor the Pawnee.Â* But the Ag Wagon...Â* What a
big, comfortable, roomy, heated delight!

On 10/22/2019 6:57 PM, wrote:
Callair has cockpit heat...

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 23rd 19, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 10:44:47 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Not the one that I flew, nor the Pawnee.Â* But the Ag Wagon...Â* What a
big, comfortable, roomy, heated delight!

On 10/22/2019 6:57 PM, wrote:
Callair has cockpit heat...

--
Dan, 5J

I have stated that I will never take on another rebuild project again, I might just change my mind! I love the 188 AW with a 300 constant speed prop, now that might just make me come out of retirement.
Old October 23rd 19, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo

One of those towing videos was probably mine. I'm 6'5" and have towed in both, though 235hp fixed pitch varieties. Between those two, they tow pretty even, until someone carries water and wants more speed. Always felt that the callair gave up as lot more climb rate above Vy than the pawnee. Must be a lot more draggy airframe. I mean, it is really ugly..