Flight review required?

Old April 24th 16, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N97MT

Default Flight review required?

I agree with Terry and Roger.

In

"§61.321 How do I obtain privileges to operate an additional category or class of light-sport aircraft?"

there is no reference to 61.313 which spells out the hourly requirements for, what I believe are, the initial Sport Pilot certificate. Since the Commercial Pilot certificate covers Sport Pilot privileges, there is no initial Sport Pilot certificate to acquire in this case.

Also, there is no regulation that I can find that says an applicant MUST be Acting PIC on either a Proficiency Check with an instructor or during a Practical Exam with an Examiner or Inspector.

If using it as a guide, the DPE Handbook strongly discourages a DPE from acting as a PIC during an exam. But I would assume than a Proficiency Check instructor would be more amenable to acting as PIC.
Old April 24th 16, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 10:18:45 AM UTC-4, N97MT wrote:

But I would assume than a Proficiency Check instructor would be more amenable to acting as PIC.

I can ask the one super knowledgeable Light Sport school guy I'm acquainted with, but I'd "assume" that the proficiency checking instructor must be PIC because 1) he/she's NOT a DPE and 2) the applicant is not yet rated in the new aircraft.
Old April 24th 16, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N97MT

On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 9:26:42 AM UTC-5, Terry Pitts wrote:
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 10:18:45 AM UTC-4, N97MT wrote:

But I would assume than a Proficiency Check instructor would be more amenable to acting as PIC.

I can ask the one super knowledgeable Light Sport school guy I'm acquainted with, but I'd "assume" that the proficiency checking instructor must be PIC because 1) he/she's NOT a DPE and 2) the applicant is not yet rated in the new aircraft.

OK, so what that implies is that a Proficiency Check instructor is NOT an Examiner. However, if he is not an Examiner, then the Proficiency Check does not count as a Flight Review as is discussed in 61.56(d)(1). In such case, the newly-rated Sport glider pilot will have to do a Flight Review following the Proficiency Check, if he has not already done so within 24 months before flying as PIC in his other rating(s).

Of course, he just added the Sport glider rating privilege, so he can now legally do the Flight Review in the glider. After THAT he can go and fly solo, get currency to fly with 1 passenger, etc.

Nuts.

Old April 28th 16, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N97MT

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 11:34:24 PM UTC-5, Bill T wrote:
FAA Wings program for a flight review qualification still requires flying with a CFI.

Found this in the FAA Wings Program:

"What is the WINGS Profile?

The selections you choose on your WINGS Profile page are used to assist in searching for Accredited Activities that interest you. The activities we display on FAASafety.gov will match these selections. Your selections do not have to match your current certificates and ratings. You should select any certificate and/or rating in which you are interested in pursuing training. For instance, if you are an Airplane Private Pilot who is interested in pursuing a Glider or Commercial certification, you should choose that selection to view activities available on our system pertaining to those certifications."

Here is the website: https://www.faasafety.gov/OnlineHelp/faq.aspx

So, it would appear that you can do this without the Sport Pilot gymnastics.. Just complete a Phase of the Wings program using the Glider Category for the Flight Portion of that Wings Phase, and in lieu of a Flight Review, and you should be set to solo the Glider as PIC. Just check the Glider Category in you Wings Profile and let the system generate the Wings Checklist of training you need to do, and then complete the program with the CFI-G and submit the completed Wings paperwork. There is also a ground portion that needs to be credited, but many of us attend those FAA-Sponsored Safety Seminars anyway which will count. You did remember to get credit for those, right?

Old April 28th 16, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

The Flight Review credit is only awarded in the aircraft you are rated. An airplane rated pilot, completing wings courses for gliders will not apply to the flight review needed to solo the glider. He/she needs to complete the Wings courses, 3 ground and 3 flight modules to Practical Test Standards level of proficiency for flight review credit.

BillT
FAASTEAM Lead
Old April 24th 19, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

BTT

PA

Old April 24th 19, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As a student pilot, I used to find the FARs incredibly dull. But now I regard them as a very entertaining, complicated, work of art.

Old April 25th 19, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 7:52:26 PM UTC-7, Bill T wrote:
The Flight Review credit is only awarded in the aircraft you are rated. An airplane rated pilot, completing wings courses for gliders will not apply to the flight review needed to solo the glider. He/she needs to complete the Wings courses, 3 ground and 3 flight modules to Practical Test Standards level of proficiency for flight review credit.

BillT
FAASTEAM Lead

This is fascinating stuff. As I read the WINGS documentation from the FAA, and 14 CFR 61.56(e) the WINGS phases are not a way to accomplish the Flight Review but rather are an alternative to the Flight Review. If the WINGS path is chosen the "Flight Review" requirements do not apply. On the other hand I am likely to be wrong about anything I interpret from the FAR's.
Old April 25th 19, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 7:52:26 PM UTC-7, Bill T wrote:
The Flight Review credit is only awarded in the aircraft you are rated. An airplane rated pilot, completing wings courses for gliders will not apply to the flight review needed to solo the glider. He/she needs to complete the Wings courses, 3 ground and 3 flight modules to Practical Test Standards level of proficiency for flight review credit.

BillT
FAASTEAM Lead

Thank you BillT. This issue has caused us, and our add-on students, a lot of confusion. I confess I am still confused about it. 14 CFR 61.56(e) states:

(e) A person who has, within the period specified in paragraph (c) of this section, satisfactorily accomplished one or more phases of an FAA-sponsored pilot proficiency award program need not accomplish the flight review required by this section.

I interpret this to say that a WINGS phase, for whatever category of aircraft, eliminates the Flight Review requirement and rather is not a way to accomplish the Flight Review. They would not be held to completing what is described by the FAA as a Flight Review. Is this not correct?

We have out-of-currency SEL pilots who wish to solo in gliders but have not a practical way to complete an SEL Flight Review. We, and they, are looking for a reasonable way to go forward with their glider training.

Thank you.
Old April 25th 19, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

However a WINGS phase has both knowledge and flight elements. What flight elements are you planning on doing in the glider?