Multiengine Rating

Old January 15th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Multiengine Rating

Long time ago, the Champion Lancer had a single-engine best
rate of climb of 100 feet per minute down. Fixed gear,
fixed pitch props, a Citabria with a nose-wheel. But it did
have a Vmc and you could get a multiengine rating cheap.

"Morgans" wrote in message

| "Jim" wrote in message
| That's the correct phraseology. Loose an engine and
you'll descend to the
| single engine service ceiling (density altitude). The
Aztec is 6000 ft.
| Plenty of MEA's out west that are higher than that.
|
| I seem to remember that when the prototype twin Diamond
came out, the SESC
| was something ridiculously low, like 1800 feet. You
couldn't make it over a

Old January 15th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Depends on the dock and piles.

But a floatplane, even low-wing is better than a Lake
Amphibian as far a s dock clearance.

"Jim" wrote in message
| If you're flush with cash, there's also the Aztec Nomad
conversion... doors
| on both sides. Not sure how fun docking a low wing would
be.
| Jim
|
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| If you want the TSIO 541, get a Duke. The Duke flies
very
| well and is as tough as nails.
|
| Duchess on floats would be a nice seaplane trainer,
doors on
| both sides so you can dock. Plenty of rudder and
elevator,
| so it should not need extra fins. More power would be
nice,
| the 180 hp is marginal.
|
| The 58TC has a gross weight of 6200 pounds, the straight
58
| has a GW of 5400 pounds. The 58P has the 6200 pound
gross
| weight but the empty weight is about 400 ponds more than
the
| 58TC.
|
| In fact, if the 58TC had an STC for a IO 720, it would
be a
| great low altitude performer.
|

| "Kingfish" wrote in message

ups.com...
| |
| | Jim Macklin wrote:
| | For those who do not know, the BE58TC is a Beech
Baron
| with
| | the wings and engines of a 58P but the fuselage of
the
| | straight 58. It has the 6200 pound gross weight and
| weights
| | 400 pounds less than the 58P. So it carries 400
pounds
| more
| | payload and performs very well in the 10-12,000 foot
| range
| | without demanding the pilot be on oxygen.
| |
| | But I'd really like a Duchess on floats with 200-220
hp
| | engines.
| |
| | Duchess? Floats? cocks head Uuuhhhhh???
| |
| | IIRC the real speedster of the Baron family was the
BE56TC
| with the
| | 380hp Lycs... although I'm not sure if the 58P might
have
| been a few
| | ka-nots faster at altitude though.
| |

Old January 15th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Jim wrote:
Pitty the guy that that engine "finds".
Imagine the insurance claims the airplane owner AND the engine finder would
have.
"Yep, I lost an engine"
"Sorry, that's not covered under your policy"
"No, I actually LOST the engine, it's GONE."
hmmmm

Or the maintenance yellow sheet:

Discrepancy: Lost left engine.
Action Taken: Left engine found on left wing.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old January 15th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim[_11_]

Or:

Discrepancy: Lost left engine.

Action Taken: Left engine located off airport in neighbors bedroom.

Old January 15th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Jim Macklin wrote
Long time ago, the Champion Lancer had a single-engine best
rate of climb of 100 feet per minute down. Fixed gear,
fixed pitch props, a Citabria with a nose-wheel. But it did
have a Vmc and you could get a multiengine rating cheap.

Not quite, the Lancer was produced between '61-'63, the Citabria
did not appear until 1964. More like a Tri-Champ with two engines.

Bob Moore
Old January 15th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian[_1_]

Jim wrote:
"Jose" wrote in message
et...
... and if you actually "loose" an engine, you'll be able to maintain an
even higher altitude, as you won't have the weight and drag of that
engine any more.

Pitty the guy that that engine "finds".
Imagine the insurance claims the airplane owner AND the engine finder would
have.
"Yep, I lost an engine"
"Sorry, that's not covered under your policy"
"No, I actually LOST the engine, it's GONE."
hmmmm
Jim

A friend of mine used to fly Ford Tri-motors. He told me that once a
prop separated in flight on an outboard engine. Before they could shut
the engine down it broke free from the mounts and fell off. Fortunately
this was not that catastrophic in the tri-motor and they flew it back
to their home field (close by).

The story brought up this mental image to me of a the Classified
add..." Lost: one aircraft engine in the vicinity of..."

Then next Image I had was my friend standing in someone's living room
looking at an engine embedded into the floor say "Nope, not my engine".

Turns out the engine actually landing in a plowed field and they
retrieved it.

Brian

Old January 16th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Well yes, but I thought more people would know what a
Citabria was than a Tri-Champ.

46.128...

Old January 16th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

wrote in message
Any comments about the best training aircraft for these purpose ?
(PA34 Seneca, Beech Duchess, PA44 Seminole, Diamond DA42,

All of them will teach you the basics. The DA42 has diesel engines with
electronic controls. It will teach you the basics, but the procedures for
securing the engines won't carry over to piston twins.

There are big differences concerning the rating requirements.
Some flight schools offer a multi training of 6 hours, other 25 hours
for the rating.

US regs don't require a minimum number of hours. Each schools' curriculum is
based on experience and insurance requirements. Having a high-performance
sign-off will help expedite the course.

D.

Old January 16th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Jim wrote:
If you're flush with cash, there's also the Aztec Nomad conversion... doors
on both sides. Not sure how fun docking a low wing would be.

I've seen a photo of an Aztec on floats. I first thought it was a
PhotoShop job but apparently not.

If you want the TSIO 541, get a Duke. The Duke flies very
well and is as tough as nails.

I've read the 541 engines were quite finicky, as I'd expect from a high
horsepower Lyc. in a close cowled airplane. IIRC the same engine was
rated at 425hp in the P-Navajo? I think Dukes are tough looking
planes; Rocket Engineering in Spokane does PT6A conversions for Dukes
(beats an IO-720 IMHO) and had one in the works for a P-Baron, but
there's not mention of it on their site.