A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Piloting
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

The Yankee Lady Flew Today

Old July 11th 03, 11:57 PM
Tom Huxton
external usenet poster

Default The Yankee Lady Flew Today

The Yankee Lady was flown today. She is located at Willow Run Airport (YIP) near Ypsilanti, Michigan.
(But located mostly in Wayne County) I was fishing the Huron River this morning and on my way to the
Historic Bomber restaurant (also a piece of local history and folklore) for lunch when she flew over. I
presume she was doing take offs and landings for pilot currency endorsements. (who flys a B-17 for fun
?) She flew overhead south to north (winds were from SW.) Solid cloud layer, but excellent visibility
underneath, winds at the ground were light, with occasonal misty drizzle. I live across the freeway to
the south, where airshow traffic and the rare old regal birds from yesteryear are common sights. Sorry I
didn't have my camera today, folks. (picture on the link below)

Yes, fishing has been terrific, two large carp on ultralight tackle today, 4 channel cats 32-34 inches
last week, striper hybrids seen recently, walleye expected any time soon, smallmouth too numerous to
mention-- too small to gloat about.

The 'Yankee Lady' the Yankee Air Force's B-17G was purchased and flown to it's new home in July 1986 from
Mesa, Arizona. Built at the end of production for this type at Lockheed's Vega Division in Burbank,
California, the aircraft was constructed too late to be assigned to combat. The meticulous restoration of
the 'Yankee Lady' has been underway for 9 years and the 'Lady' finally took to the air again in the
summer of 1995. This aircraft now represents a typical combat 'G' model bearing the markings of the 381st
Bombardment Group, 534th Squadron.

The B-17 'Flying Fortress' was the largest heavy bomber of it's time before and during much of WWII.
Production by Boeing, Douglas, and Lockheed Aircraft Company totaled 12,731. Today approximately 50
survive in museums worldwide, and fewer than 12 are maintained to flyable status.
http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/YAFFly.html

Thomas