Corvair Conversion

Old October 24th 03, 10:16 PM
Gig Giacona

Default Corvair Conversion

I'm building a Zenith 601XL and have started to consider a Corvair
conversion to power it. I'd like to hear some opinions on this conversion.

Gig Giacona
www.peoamerica.net/N601WR

Old October 24th 03, 11:54 PM
Barnyard BOb --

I'm building a Zenith 601XL and have started to consider a Corvair
conversion to power it. I'd like to hear some opinions on this conversion.

Gig Giacona
www.peoamerica.net/N601WR

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.

P.S.
Morgans, stay the hell out of this. g

Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico
Old October 25th 03, 01:00 AM
Morgans

"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message

I'm building a Zenith 601XL and have started to consider a Corvair
conversion to power it. I'd like to hear some opinions on this

conversion.

Gig Giacona
www.peoamerica.net/N601WR

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.

P.S.
Morgans, stay the hell out of this. g

Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico

Hee, Hee, Hee

What, are you saying, I am as predictable as you?

Naaaaa!

I did own a Corvair. It was a better car engine than an airplane engine.

Oh no, someone replaced my brain with barnyard's! Quick call EMS. I need
some padding, 'cause it is sloshing around, with all of that extra room!
g OK, I'll stop now!
--
Jim in NC

Old October 25th 03, 02:10 AM
Bart D. Hull

Damn,

I've been struck by a lightening bolt and sent to heaven.

BOB recommending a AUTO-CONVERSION?

Keep going Bob, your taking kiddie steps now.

Can you say Mazda rotary? Can you say Subaru? Can you say Honda-Lyc?

Bart
--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Old October 25th 03, 05:22 AM
Barnyard BOb --

Damn,

I've been struck by a lightening bolt and sent to heaven.

BOB recommending a AUTO-CONVERSION?

Keep going Bob, your taking kiddie steps now.

Can you say Mazda rotary? Can you say Subaru? Can you say Honda-Lyc?

Bart

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bob,

What makes you think I don't have "credentials" or
various flight certs? Even as a "youngster" at 35.

Your behavior.

Post what you got.
Embarrass me.
Show everybody how badly I missed the boat.
Now's your opportunity to really shine.
Go for it.
Let's see what a poor judge of character I am. g

Psssst. - No fibbing allowed.

Can you say ---
THESE ARE MY PERTENENT AVIATION CREDENTIALS ---
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.

Old October 25th 03, 11:46 AM
Barnyard BOb --

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.

Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico

"Morgans" wrote:

Hee, Hee, Hee

I did own a Corvair. It was a better car engine than an airplane engine.

I owned a Ford V-6 in 1997 - 1998 for 26,000 mi.

By your logic, that qualifies me to say the same about
the Ford V-6 to Bruce, Corky, Clare, et all.??????

BTW.....
In my full size truck, it was a POS by any measure.

Barnyard BOb -- never again

Old October 25th 03, 12:39 PM
Kevin Horton

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:10:11 -0700, Bart D. Hull wrote:

BOB Said:

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.

P.S.
Morgans, stay the hell out of this. g

Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico

Damn,

I've been struck by a lightening bolt and sent to heaven.

BOB recommending a AUTO-CONVERSION?

Keep going Bob, your taking kiddie steps now.

Can you say Mazda rotary? Can you say Subaru? Can you say Honda-Lyc?

Bart

How do you figure that Bob recommended an auto-conversion?

He provided a URL without a recommendation one way or the other on the
Corvair engine, and then went on to recommend the use of a C-85 or O-200.
You've got some mighty strange autos in AZ if a C-85 or O-200 would be
considered an auto-conversion.

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada

Old October 25th 03, 01:00 PM
Barnyard BOb --

BOB Said:

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.

P.S.
Morgans, stay the hell out of this. g

Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico

Damn,

I've been struck by a lightening bolt and sent to heaven.

BOB recommending a AUTO-CONVERSION?

Keep going Bob, your taking kiddie steps now.

Can you say Mazda rotary? Can you say Subaru? Can you say Honda-Lyc?

Bart

How do you figure that Bob recommended an auto-conversion?

He provided a URL without a recommendation one way or the other on the
Corvair engine, and then went on to recommend the use of a C-85 or O-200.
You've got some mighty strange autos in AZ if a C-85 or O-200 would be
considered an auto-conversion.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for keeping the record straight, Kevin. ;-)

Gotta go FLY now, but you have set the tone for my day.
Have a great day yourself.

Barnyard BOb -- over 50 years of flight and still counting

Old October 25th 03, 02:21 PM
Morgans

"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.

Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico

"Morgans" wrote:

Hee, Hee, Hee

I did own a Corvair. It was a better car engine than an airplane engine.

I owned a Ford V-6 in 1997 - 1998 for 26,000 mi.

By your logic, that qualifies me to say the same about
the Ford V-6 to Bruce, Corky, Clare, et all.??????

BTW.....
In my full size truck, it was a POS by any measure.

Barnyard BOb -- never again

Trying for some humor again. Sometimes I miss.

Really, the Corvair engine I had ran great out till 140,000, until the Ohio
salt ate the unibody. It was then sold to a guy to put in a Corvair van,
and ran for many years after that.

All that it ever needed was O-ring seals put in the pushrod tubes once a
year. My dad got to the point that he could do them all in less than a
hour. He made a special tool for the job.

I do think that if "I" were going to go for that (Corvair) power level, I
would go the C-85 or 0-200, since the Corvair has none of the other auto
engine benefits, and all (or most) of the airplane engine negatives.

The other thing is, I can't stand the thought of stealing a Corvair's
engine. g
--
Jim in NC

Old October 25th 03, 05:06 PM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 05:46:38 -0500, Barnyard BOb --
wrote:

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.

Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico

"Morgans" wrote:

Hee, Hee, Hee

I did own a Corvair. It was a better car engine than an airplane engine.

I owned a Ford V-6 in 1997 - 1998 for 26,000 mi.

By your logic, that qualifies me to say the same about
the Ford V-6 to Bruce, Corky, Clare, et all.??????

BTW.....
In my full size truck, it was a POS by any measure.

A 3.8 as it comes from the factory? POS is being charitable.
Apparently they CAN be made into a decent engine. Ford has actually
come out with replacement bearings that do not disintegrate at the
smell of Glycol. (Fed Mogul, perhaps?) and some aftermarket gasket
kits will actually keep oil and antifreeze where they belong, and
prevent mixing of "bodily fluids".

Barnyard BOb -- never again