Trade-in

Old September 17th 03, 06:58 PM
Dan Luke

Default Trade-in

Anybody ever trade in an airplane? The misery one of my buddies is having
selling his airplane makes me wonder if it might be worth it.

How much of a hit would you expect if you trade rather than sell yourself?
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 17th 03, 09:52 PM
Dan Luke

"Mike Rapoport" wrote:
What is he trying to sell and why is it difficult? Price?

Cherokee 180. He's finally got it sold (he thinks). The tire-kickers have
driven him crazy, of course, but the "serious" buyers have been worse. Some
insist on their mechanics doing an annual at some out of town shop (no
way!), another got my friend to fly out of town for a pre-buy, then didn't
show, and one did a pre-buy and then couldn't come up with the financing. I
didn't think his price was too high: $51,000 for a pretty nice 180.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 17th 03, 09:59 PM
Dan Luke

"Roger Tracy" wrote:
He'd take the hit between wholesale and retail .. like trading in a car.

So how do you find out the wholesale value?

Old September 17th 03, 11:20 PM
Dicky

I didn't think his price was too high: $51,000 for a pretty nice 180.

I don't think that's out of line at all. A year ago, a friend of mine
bought a 180 in average condition with a mid time engine and good avionics
for $44,000. I helped with the research and felt he paid a fair price for
it.

Old September 18th 03, 12:19 AM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:52:35 -0500, Dan Luke wrote:

driven him crazy, of course, but the "serious" buyers have been worse. Some
insist on their mechanics doing an annual at some out of town shop (no
way!), another got my friend to fly out of town for a pre-buy, then didn't

That's plain silly. When I buy a plane there is no way I'm letting the
mechanic who knows the owner and has done the previous annuals do my
pre-buy. If an owner won't let a third party examine it then I'd be
suspicious about what he's covering up.

If you're serious about selling a plane you'll deal with tire kickers, but
hopefully you'll weed them out beforehand by questioning them.

Old September 18th 03, 12:52 AM
Dan Luke

"Matthew P. Cummings" wrote:
That's plain silly. When I buy a plane there is no way:
I'm letting the mechanic who knows the owner and has
done the previous annuals do my pre-buy.

That wasn't the issue. The problem was that the guy wanted his
mechanic to do an *annual*. That means that the mech. could declare
the aircraft unairworthy for perhaps ridiculous reasons, write 'em up
in the logs and ground the airplane away from home.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 18th 03, 01:54 AM
Tom S.

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
news
What is he trying to sell and why is it difficult? Price?

Extremely soft market?

Old September 18th 03, 01:49 PM
Rich Hare

I did something like that about 4 years ago.

I had my '56 Bonanza up for sale while I was looking for a newer one. A
broker came up with a '66 Bonanza close to what I wanted and I told him
he had to sell my old one to close the deal. He ended up putting
together a 4 plane parlay:

'66 Bonanza owner bought a Marchetti
I bought the '66 Bonanza
Two guys bought my '56 Bonanza and
the broker sold their Cessna 172.

I don't think the broker made much money for as hard as he worked, and
everybody felt they didn't get the best deal for their money, but it WAS
a way to "make something happen".

Rich