CFI-G and Badges, racing

Old March 1st 10, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider[_2_]

Default CFI-G and Badges, racing

Just for fun, I wonder how many CFI-G types have Gold Badges with
Diamonds? How many instructors compete?
I would think that an active instructor is not the same chap that
goes for long flights or gets involved with competition. I'll bet it
takes a different mind-set to want to instruct.
GA
(CFI-G, seldom)
Old March 1st 10, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 1, 3:48*pm, glider wrote:

CFI-G types have Gold Badges with Diamonds? - this one

How many instructors compete? - this one

Maybe what you should have asked was how many active contest pilots
are also giving primary glider instruction. - not this one, and not
in the last 10 years, but may resume after retirement.

Andy
Old March 1st 10, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Mar 1, 4:48*pm, glider wrote:
*Just for fun, I wonder how many CFI-G types have Gold Badges with
Diamonds? How many instructors compete?
*I would think that an active instructor is not the same chap that
goes for long flights or gets involved with competition. I'll bet it
takes a different mind-set to want to instruct.
GA
(CFI-G, seldom)

i usually try my best to balance out and spend time instructing as
well as flying cross country. I'd like to start getting into contest
flying in the next couple seasons. Of course for me it will just be
for fun, not serious enough to try to win or anything.

I don't have any Gold legs or Diamonds.
Old March 1st 10, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Mar 1, 3:48*pm, glider wrote:
Snip
I'll bet it takes a different mind-set to want to instruct.
GA
(CFI-G, seldom)

I'll bet it doesn't. There's no conflict between instructing and
advanced flying, it's how involved the person is with the sport. If
they're really involved and love the sport, they'll instruct AND fly
XC - probably hold a badge or two as well.

Since some may not want to brag or may not be RAS'ers, here's a few
Diamond C holding, XC flying, active instructors I happen to know.

The late and very much missed John H Cambell, Chief instructor MHG.
Al Ossorio, Chief instructor SSB competes and makes long XC's in a N2
Bob Farris, very active instructor, winner Sports Class Reg 9 in his
LS-3.
(I think all 15 of the SSB instructors have Diamond C's.)

Garret Willat comes to mind - I know there are many, many more.

Come on Diamond C instructors, if you got it, flaunt it.

Diamonds have been earned in almost every state and in almost every
glider. Get your Diamonds in a 1-26 or Cherokee in Kansas and with
those bragging rights, you'll probably get free beer for life.

If you have a Diamond C and a CFI-G, get active. The sport needs you.

Old March 1st 10, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Mar 1, 5:48*pm, glider wrote:
*Just for fun, I wonder how many CFI-G types have Gold Badges with
Diamonds? How many instructors compete?
*I would think that an active instructor is not the same chap that
goes for long flights or gets involved with competition. I'll bet it
takes a different mind-set to want to instruct.
GA
(CFI-G, seldom)

About 95% of my training (in the 80's) came from active competition
pilots with diamond badges. Wouldn't trade that away for a million
bucks. I learned key things from every single one of them that I use
to this day.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old March 2nd 10, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 1, 6:39*pm, bildan wrote:
On Mar 1, 3:48*pm, glider wrote:
Snip
[...]

UH: Over the course of a year,about 35% Racing,25% towing 40%
instructing. But only have 2 diamonds.Does a World distance award and
1000K count?
UH
Old March 2nd 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Mar 1, 7:06*pm, wrote:
On Mar 1, 6:39*pm, bildan wrote:

On Mar 1, 3:48*pm, glider wrote:
Snip
[...]

UH- Hide quoted text -

Last year, on the same week I did a 1000K in my LS8, I did 3 hours as
CFI-G in the back seat of a 2-33. Now, 3 hours isn't a lot of time...
except when you're in the back of a 2-33 :-)

At the prime of my gliding days (i.e. pre-marriage, pre-kids), I was
doing about 150 hours per year. Average was about 90-100 hours in my
glass bird (1/3 share of a Grob Astir) and the remainder in 2-33s.
Nowadays unfortunately, total hours are down below 90 a year and only
about 5-10 are instructing. Two kids will do that to ya :-)

P3
Gold/Diamond/750K Diplome/1000K Diplome

Old March 2nd 10, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

I can't speak for today's competition pilots, but during the 1970's
the late, great Dick Johnson regularly instructed with our auto-tow
only club. During our summer months, Dick would instruct from around
10am till around 1pm, then jump into his HP-13, Skylark 4, Nimbus 2,
ASW-17, or even a club 1-26. We'd give Dick his auto-tow, and Dick
would fly off, returning just before sunset to help put the ships
away.

During this period, Dick won 2 US National Championships, and
represented the US in 4 consecutive World Championships, placing in
the top 10 in each.

At least one example of a competitive pilot also instructing.

Bob

Old March 2nd 10, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

wrote:

Just for fun, I wonder how many CFI-G types have Gold Badges with
Diamonds? How many instructors compete?
I would think that an active instructor is not the same chap that
goes for long flights or gets involved with competition. I'll bet it
takes a different mind-set to want to instruct.

Interesting point - and I disagree completely.

If you allow, I'd like to add my German point of view:
Here in Germany there are very, very few XC pilots who are *not*
instructing in their clubs.
Nearly all of the famous XC-pilots in Germany are active instructors
in his club (for example, in my club, 3 of the 9 active instructors
are currently members of the German 15m class national team).

On my side of the pond the career of a CFIG usually looks like this:

One gets his license, starts to fly XC, maybe competitions, and is
being watched all the time by the instructors of the club. Sooner or
later any talented pilot is going to be asked if he wouldn't like to
become an instructor - usually in terms that make it difficult to
decline this offer. In many cases the club even sponsors the
instructor course.

How does the career of a CFIG look in other places of the world?

Cheers
Andreas

p.s.
Of course even in Germany there are CFIGs who don't do any XC at all -
but they are a small minority.

Art of Racing, concluded - Langelle - Glen Martin Racing.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_4_] Aviation Photos 0 February 28th 10 08:22 PM
The Art of Racing - Corning - Beach Racing Oldfield.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_4_] Aviation Photos 0 February 27th 10 12:42 PM
Cambridge FR, Sector OZ, Badges [email protected] Soaring 16 July 20th 07 02:23 PM
Diamond Badges Nyal Williams Soaring 8 November 27th 06 06:08 AM
Badges ? ... We don't need no stinkin' badges Doug Snyder Soaring 36 September 21st 05 08:26 AM