Discus 2a vs Arcus @ 200km/h - EGC 2013

Old July 19th 13, 10:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wolf Aviator

Default Discus 2a vs Arcus @ 200km/h - EGC 2013

Hi ladies and gents,

Here is a video made by Sebastian Kawa on ECG 2013 at Ostrów in
Poland.

This video presents final glide of his Discus 2a wing to wing with
Arcus flying at 200km/h. As you can see at this speed performance
of 20m span glider is no better than 15m Discus 2a.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xrDLQ61474

quote (1m 8s of video):
"A why they're buying such expensive gliders...".
Regards
Wolf
http://youtube.com/user/WolfTheAviator

Old July 19th 13, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Friday, 19 July 2013 10:47:45 UTC+1, Wolf Aviator wrote:
Hi ladies and gents,

Here is a video made by Sebastian Kawa on ECG 2013 at Ostrów in

Poland.

This video presents final glide of his Discus 2a wing to wing with

Arcus flying at 200km/h. As you can see at this speed performance

of 20m span glider is no better than 15m Discus 2a.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xrDLQ61474

quote (1m 8s of video):

"A why they're buying such expensive gliders...".

Regards

Wolf

http://youtube.com/user/WolfTheAviator

Thanks for the translation and the other info. As an Arcus owner I was rather disappointed! Was the Discus flying in 15m or 18m mode? Do we know how the wing loadings compared?

Mark Burton
Old July 19th 13, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

People will be discussing handicaps and wing loadings and other topics, but I think this just proves what everyone has known all along: Kawa has magic "I get to fly faster than you" powers which transcend the laws of physics :-).

-Mark
Old July 19th 13, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Of course, the Arcus has a much larger fuselage than a Discus2a so its
performance at high speed will suffer as a result of that.

Paul Remde
____________________________

Old July 19th 13, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

waremark wrote, On 7/19/2013 9:20 AM:
On Friday, 19 July 2013 10:47:45 UTC+1, Wolf Aviator wrote:
Hi ladies and gents,

Here is a video made by Sebastian Kawa on ECG 2013 at Ostrów in

Poland.

This video presents final glide of his Discus 2a wing to wing with

Arcus flying at 200km/h. As you can see at this speed performance

of 20m span glider is no better than 15m Discus 2a.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xrDLQ61474

quote (1m 8s of video):

"A why they're buying such expensive gliders...".

Regards

Wolf

http://youtube.com/user/WolfTheAviator

Thanks for the translation and the other info. As an Arcus owner I
was rather disappointed! Was the Discus flying in 15m or 18m mode? Do
we know how the wing loadings compared?

You don't buy a two seat, 20 meter glider for it's 200 kph performance.
How fast would the Discus go with a 180 lb passenger?

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old July 19th 13, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al McNamara

Thanks for the translation and the other info. As an Arcus owner I was
rather disappointed! Was the Discus flying in 15m or 18m mode? Do we know
how he wing loadings compared?

Mark Burton

Mark

It was a D2a, so 15m. I suspect at or close to max all up weight, so to
comment on a later question in this thead, not carrying carrying a 180 lb
P2, but probably 350 lb of balast.

Old July 19th 13, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al McNamara

Thanks for the translation and the other info. As an Arcus owner I was
rather disappointed! Was the Discus flying in 15m or 18m mode? Do we know
how the wing loadings compared?

Mark Burton

Mark

It was a D2a, so 15m. My guess is at or close to Max AUW so to comment on
another later post, not carrying a 180 lb P2, but 350 lb of ballast.

Al

Old July 19th 13, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Cant be 100 % sure but that does not look like a Discus 2a wing tip.
Rolf

Old July 19th 13, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 19, 2013 5:01:00 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Cant be 100 % sure but that does not look like a Discus 2a wing tip.

Rolf

I think Its the same D2a that belonged to Mr.Galetto. It is is the Polish National Team glider, they also own another one, but strangely this one even being form early of production, is of lot better quality than the later production number ones. Interesting proof of that theory is the Lak 12T prototype beating the crap out of several Arcuses and Duo Ds XLTs after several days of competition.
http://www.egc2013.eu/results/20m/37J_20m_tot/
GK

Discus 2a vs Arcus @ 200km/h Wolf Aviator Soaring 1 July 19th 13 04:31 PM
FS: Arcus T [email protected] Soaring 0 February 22nd 13 10:50 PM
Arcus - first impressions Andreas Maurer Soaring 1 July 7th 09 01:35 PM
Discus CS and Duo Discus Wing Inspections Nolaminar Soaring 0 October 24th 03 01:15 AM
[LBA] Schempp-Hirth - Discus bT - Discus Frederic FUCHS Soaring 0 September 17th 03 08:42 AM