Best PDA or tablet soln for GPS & XM WX and gyro AI

Old June 12th 05, 03:53 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Paul Folbrecht wrote:
I decided awhile ago I'd like to get a PDA (preferred) or perhaps a small
tablet for in-cockpit GPS moving map and satellite weather and a backup,
emergency-only AI as well (not a simple GPS AI but a real solid-state gyro).

I haven't heard many negative comments about Control Vision's AI
product, but I really haven't researched it extensively either. I have
read so many negative comments about Control Vision's support that I
almost think that the competition is behind some of them--though I have
no proof of that. I don't know what CV's support was like in the past,
but I have been fairly impressed with their customer focus lately. They
aren't perfect, but their management does seem to care about resolving
true problems with the products that they sell.

I'm not sure that anyone has "the whole package." I can tell you that
CV probably has the most full-featured GPS+Weather package on a PDA. If
weather uplink isn't a big factor, there may be better GPS+AI packages
out there.

JKG
Old June 12th 05, 05:05 AM
Michael 182

"Luke Scharf" wrote in message
Michael 182 wrote:
Why would altitude affect a hard drive?

Because the hard drive head "flies" over the platter. The tolerances are
tight enough and things move quickly enough inside the drive that the air
has a big affect on how close the read/write head gets to the disc
platter, and the drive is designed with this in mind.

Take the air away, and the head that was supposed to be hovering a few
mils over the disc is now scratching up the surface on which the data is
stored. Not a recipe for reliable long-term data storage.

Thanks. Good explanation.

FWIW, I run my iPod at high altitudes all the time with no failures.

Then somebody did a good job designing the hard drive in it, assuming that
it has a hard drive. The iPod Shuffle uses flash ram instead of a hard
drive and should work in a vacuum -- even if listening to music in a
vacuum appears to be impractical. :-)

No, I have the 20 gig drive.

Michael

Old June 12th 05, 01:33 PM
Nathan Young

Not sure. I run my ST4121 on cigarette lighter power. The WxWorx
receiver runs on cigarette lighter as well.

Most BT GPS have an integrated battery that is good for 10+ hrs on a
charge, but I would get one that runs on cigaretter lighter as well.

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 22:33:36 -0400, "Victor J. Osborne, Jr."
wrote:

What the battery requirements for all these bluetooth devices.

If I was starting over, I would spring the extra for an ST5121, which
is the latest and greatest from Fujitsu. The ST512 integrates
bluetooth. The latest WxWorx receivers are bluetooth enabled, and
bluetooth GPS receivers are easy to find, so this would greatly reduce
cockpit cable clutter.

Old June 12th 05, 02:28 PM
Mitty

On 6/11/2005 9:33 PM, Victor J. Osborne, Jr. wrote the following:
What the battery requirements for all these bluetooth devices.

Thx, {|;-)

My HP TC1100 with BT runs a bit over 3 hours in the cockpit on its internal
battery, so I don't even have to hook it up for shorter trips. (YMMV, as I
found that the APIC software was so CPU intensive that I only got 2 hours.)

My Bluetooth GPS is a Holux 230, which claims 9 hours of battery life. In the
couple of months I have had it, with charging before a flight, it has never run
flat. That said, if I had it to do over again I would get the Holux 231 with
has a removable cell phone type battery. Then I would carry a charged spare and
absolutely never worry about having to plug the GPS receiver in. (I do carry
the 12v power cord for the Holux, however, just in case.)

Another thing: I made it a priority to get a GPS with an external antenna jack,
assuming that using a good antenna would be worthwhile. Not so, the Holux
internal antenna works as well as when I plug in a Garmin antenna. So ... one
less wire, one less gadget needed. I made a suction cup bracket to put the
Holux on the windshield & I just stick it there with no wires connected. Works
fine.
Old June 12th 05, 03:49 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article .com,
"Curtis Smith" wrote:
I prefer a PDA for size reasons (plane's a 152) but a small tablet that
could be yoke-mounted would also be Ok. If anybody can recommend a system
that meets all three of these needs and can be add for less than $3K all-up
I'd like to hear of it. TIA.

Check out www.airgator.com. They don't have AI or georeferenced
approach plates (yet), but the map display is said to be the nicest.
I'm still looking, myself.

I was not all that impressed with the AirGator product on the PDA.
AirGator does support VGA on the appropriate PDA, and they do display a
couple of weather products that the competition doesn't yet display, but
I found their map and navigational/flight planning functionality lacking.

The MountainScope product from PC Flight Systyems is the most impressive
terrain-mapping package that I've seen so far, but I haven't actually
tried it. I have heard others comment positively on it, however.

JKG
Old June 12th 05, 04:13 PM
Matt Barrow

Motion Computing LE1600.

Great display, 1GB Celeron, 30GB HD.

http://www.motioncomputing.com/produ...blet_pc_le.asp

Old June 12th 05, 04:21 PM
Mitty

Interesting thread he

http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/to...TOPIC_ID=22517

includes several photos of the Motion machine in a cockpit.

If the link doesn't work, search on "cockpit" will get you the thread.

Old June 12th 05, 04:31 PM

If you do a lot of IFR, don't over look JeppView/FliteDeck. I have
previously posted my setup with a touch screen monitor & portable PC.
FliteDeck has the best IFR moving map. Since I fly mostly around
California, I pay only $295 for initial and $195/year thereafter. And
that is for moving map & all charting data.

As for AI & WX, JeppView does not have them & I have no experience with
product of these type. But, JeppView is Windows based and should be
able to run alone side other Windows programs.

Old June 12th 05, 10:19 PM
Will

The quality of the visual display on the PC Avaionics
MountainScope product is almost surreal it is so good:

http://www.pcavionics.com

They don't have WX weather yet.

--
Will
Internet: westes at earthbroadcast.com

"Paul Folbrecht" wrote in message
I decided awhile ago I'd like to get a PDA (preferred) or

perhaps a small
tablet for in-cockpit GPS moving map and satellite weather and

a backup,
emergency-only AI as well (not a simple GPS AI but a real

solid-state gyro).

After days of research I can't seem to find a single system

that does
everything I would like with no major negatives.

I started looking seriously at Anywhere Map/WX/AI which looks

pretty good
except for their gyro - seems many users have problems with it.

The other
thing is that there seems to be issues with their customer

service.

I like NavGPS a lot too coupled with the PC-EFIS they bundle

and that all
looks good, but I don't know if there is a satellite WX system

that will
work with their software at all.

Old June 13th 05, 12:04 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Will" said:
The quality of the visual display on the PC Avaionics
MountainScope product is almost surreal it is so good:

http://www.pcavionics.com

They don't have WX weather yet.

Their web site says they do.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
a) log a message at user.emerg of the form "DANGER! MORON ON /dev/pts/1"

Gyrocopter Speed Mark Rotorcraft 36 August 16th 05 11:28 PM
Best PDA or tablet soln for GPS & XM WX and gyro AI Paul Folbrecht Instrument Flight Rules 31 June 18th 05 01:42 PM
Horizon Gyro internal lighting? Chad Lemmen Owning 2 September 6th 04 03:38 AM
My newly overhauled Gyro! Robert M. Gary Piloting 10 March 4th 04 06:10 PM
Gyro Copter for Sale on EBAY EC155 Pilot Home Built 0 November 1st 03 11:34 PM