Cordele, Georgia, Report Tuesday 15 May 07

Old May 16th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood

Default Cordele, Georgia, Report Tuesday 15 May 07

Oh boy, what a day! Cu's everywhere, even though the
weather forecast called for the early stuff to burn
off by the time the gate opened. The six towplanes
(4 Pawnee's, 1 Cezzna 175, and one Cezzna Agwagon)
got the fleet in the air without hesitation. There
were a bunch of gliders in front of me, and I was off
20 minutes after the launch began.

For Sports Class, the task was Cordele, Montezuma,
Hawkinsville, Ashburn, Leesburg, and return. Sorry
I don't have the distances. The task for us was changed
about three times before we launched as the CD and
task adviser and the weatherman were all trying to
figure out the weather that just wasn't matching what
we could all see in the sky. The median task length
is probably about 150 miles and the max around 190
for the Turn Area Task.

Weather was just really nice with cu's everywhere.
Bases on our task were in the 6,000' to 6,500' range
with lift sometimes in the 7 knot range. Don't know
what the average climb was for me (since I don't have
that spiffy software like SeeMe or Stre Pla.)

On the first leg out, I saw the Blanik. Yes, it was
above me. (I heard from others that they saw only
the bottom of the Blanik yesterday...) The young pilot,
Nicolas, really knows how to fly a sailplane. Look
out for him at any contest!!!

Fun flying today, even though sometimes I just couldn't
find the sweet spot of some of the thermals, but that
an old story for me.

Yesterday's winners gave their speaches this morning
and the best was from Robin Clark, winner in the 15m
class. He told us about how he's been flying contests
for 20 years more or less and some time ago, his little
daughter asked him 'Dad, why don't you ever talk in
the morning?' So now he finally had his chance. Well
done, Robin!

Lastly, as far as I know, there were no landouts.
In any class. Undercalls, some seem to say? Rubbish!

Reporting from the Colonial Inn in downtown Cordele,
where the a/c is cold and the beer is delicious,

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old May 16th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fcnorton

On May 15, 6:08 pm, Ray Lovinggood
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the daily updates.

Are they posting results? I don't see anything on the SSA site or the
site for the contest.

Thanks!

FC Norton (FCZ)

Old May 16th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood

I don't know why there aren't any results or 'official'
write up on the SSA page.

As for the winners on the first day: (this is from
memory. And I'm practicing for senility...)

18m: John Murray (ASG-29)
15m: Robin Clark (LS6)
Standard: Andy Gough (LS8)
Sports: Sam Giltner (LS1-f)

Apologies if I butchered any names and/or didn't get
the glider type correct.

Ray Lovinggood

Old May 16th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fcnorton

wrote:
[...]

FC Norton (FCZ)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for taking the time to report AND fly in the contest.

From all of us who are living vicariously through you as we sit in our

office and look out the window and think....what if?

Good luck,

FC Norton (FCZ)

Old May 16th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ray,

Can you get a couple of shots of Sam's LS1f? I hear it's a really
nice example of this ship. It obviously flies well, that's for sure.

Dave