Things to remember in very hot weather

Old July 3rd 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Things to remember in very hot weather

muff528 writes:

I think I have an answer for that. You could take up skydiving! If you could
somehow get through the initial training and gear expenses you would only
have to pay for half a ride at a time. About $25.00. And you wouldn't have
to worry about being scared out of your wits by landing in the plane. Of
course, you don't get to drive.

Unfortunately, nothing about skydiving piques my interest. I've liked
machines and vehicles since childhood, and in fact I've liked airplanes for as
far back as I can remember.
Old July 3rd 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Steve Foley" wrote in message

Maybe if that line of t-storms comes through, I'll send you
the money that I'm planning to spend on avgas this afternoon.

The T-storms came and went, so I went flying.

No cash for you today. Maybe next week.

Old July 3rd 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Michael Ash

In rec.aviation.student Mxsmanic wrote:
Flying has an extremely high price, which imposes a very high threshold of
interest in aviation for pilots, even those with lots of money. It's an
extremely expensive hobby.

I cut my club a check for $400 approxmiately every two months. This year
I've averaged about three flights (and three hours) per month. Even
counting the cost of the 70-mile drive to the airport each time, this is
not a particularly expensive hobby. Certainly there are hobbies that are
much worse. I know guys who spend more than this each month on movies and
music. And I'm at the high end in my club; I've been told that the average
cost to the membership is $100/month per person.

As with any hobby you can pretty much spend what you want to. In flying
you need a certain minimum in order to remain proficient and safe, but
that ultimately isn't remarkably expensive. Unless you live in Paris in
the fashion of a starving student, anyway.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old July 3rd 08, 09:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Jul 3, 5:13*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Steve Foley writes:
Have you cheered up any since 2006?

My happiness depends on money, and I don't have any more money now than I did then.

If your happiness depends on money then presumably you have had at
least 2 years to do some serious soul searching on why you dont have
money?
What skills do you lack to find a well paying job? You obviously dont
lack confidence in your intellectual abilities. Are you doing
anything to redress any deficiencies? or are you just going to
continue to deny you have them?

Old July 3rd 08, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

muff528 writes:

I think I have an answer for that. You could take up skydiving! If
you could somehow get through the initial training and gear expenses
you would only have to pay for half a ride at a time. About $25.00.
And you wouldn't have to worry about being scared out of your wits by
landing in the plane. Of course, you don't get to drive.

Unfortunately, nothing about skydiving piques my interest.

Too bad, you're the perfect meat bomb.

I've liked
machines and vehicles since childhood, and in fact I've liked
airplanes for as far back as I can remember.

And still you don't fly.
Old July 3rd 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

terry writes:

If your happiness depends on money then presumably you have had at
least 2 years to do some serious soul searching on why you dont have
money?

Yes.

What skills do you lack to find a well paying job?

I have skills, but where I live, skills are only a small part of getting a
job. You have to be of the right ethnicity, have the right contacts, be the
right age, be a graduate of the right schools (just having a degree may not be
sufficient, if it's not from the right place), and so on. Skills come last.

For some jobs, you can also be too skilled. Many companies want to hire
someone who has the requisite skills but no others, because it's perceived as
being cheaper. In this case, it's easy to be overqualified.

You obviously dont lack confidence in your intellectual abilities.

You can't earn money with intellectual ability alone.
Old July 3rd 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

terry writes:

[...]

Well, you can't

Bertie
Old July 3rd 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
terry

On Jul 3, 11:16*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
terry writes:
If your happiness depends on money then presumably you have had at
least 2 years to do some serious soul searching on why you dont have
money?

Yes.

What skills do you lack to find a well paying job?

I have skills, but where I live, skills are only a small part of getting a
job. *You have to be of the right ethnicity, have the right contacts, be the
right age, be a graduate of the right schools (just having a degree may not be
sufficient, if it's not from the right place), and so on. *Skills come last.

For some jobs, you can also be too skilled. *Many companies want to hire
someone who has the requisite skills but no others, because it's perceived as
being cheaper. *In this case, it's easy to be overqualified.

Why am I not surprised at your response. I knew when I posted this
that if you did respond with reasons, they would all be someone else's
fault. Not only can you never admit you are wrong you just cannot
admit to any shortcomings. If where you live is the main issue
( unlikely) surely there is a solution to that. Who chose to live in
Paris? Are you imprsioned there?
Old July 3rd 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 3, 9:16*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
terry writes:
[...]

In fact, many of us do, with APPLIED intellectual ability. Some of us
have even changed careers and succeeded (in some cases) again. It's
the utilization of those skills that matter. Did you not, some time
ago, tell us how many hours you spent with MSFS? What if those hours
had been spent more productively? There's a time for effective work,
and a time for effective play. If one's priorities are inverted bad
things happen -- poverty, depression, excuse making rather than
problem solving. If you want something different than what you have,
you're going to have to do something different than what you do. As
Nike likes to say, "(Get off your ass and) Just Do it".

Deadlines to remember Gilan Home Built 5 July 5th 06 09:28 PM
Remember to tip your ... pilot? Brien K. Meehan Piloting 10 February 4th 06 03:25 PM
Remember when? Billposter Naval Aviation 21 August 22nd 05 09:22 PM
Tasha. Anyone remember her? Mike Anselmo Naval Aviation 2 February 15th 04 03:28 PM
And they say the automated Weather Station problems "ASOS" are insignificant because only light aircraft need Weather Observations and forecasts... Roy Piloting 4 July 12th 03 04:03 PM