I have problem. I correct the aileron the wrong way at takeoff

Old January 19th 09, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default I have problem. I correct the aileron the wrong way at takeoff

On Jan 19, 12:22*am, "Jack" None wrote:
Hi all,
I have a problem with correcting the ailerons the wrong way at takeoff,
obviously that is a very serious problem and I would like some feedback if
possible.

First here is a bit of background.
I am a new glider pilot (44yo), I only have about 40 flights.
I have learnt in 2 different clubs one large club where I never had the same
instructor for more than 2 flights and a smaller club wher I spent a week to
get solo with the same instructor.
I started flying gliders a few month ago and had a reasonably fast
progression, at 32 flights I went solo (in the small club) and had a couple
of solos that went fine.
Then back to the larger club I had a few more flights with new instructors,
flights weren't perfect but all safe and without incidents.

Then Yesterday as I was taking off in calm conditions I touched the ground
with a wing, the instructor had to intervene, it was the 1st time an
instructor took the commands in a critical situation.
He just put the glider flat and gave me control back 5 seconds later. The
rest of the flight went fine, I had difficult conditions in circuit where
another glider was joing at the same time and height as me but I handeled it
well.

Back to the incident the instructor does not know what happened, I suspect
he did not have the hands on the commands but unfortunatley I think I know,
as the left wing dropped I think I gave stick to the left instead of right.

Old January 19th 09, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Second, get some free practice. *Pick a windy day and sit in a
stationary glider that's pointed into the wind and practice holding
the wings level. *A 15 knot wind is just right. *The glider will
respond sluggishly to aileron inputs just like it does on the takeoff
roll.

This exercise was easily the most effective single thing any
instructor had me do during my student pilot days. It does more than
teach you how to use the stick -- it teaches you how to react, and
after that day I found my final approaches to be much easier, not just
the take-offs. This should be a mandatory exercise for students when
the opportunity presents.

~ted/2NO
Old January 19th 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Bourgeois[_2_]

Bill Daniels' suggestions are excellent. Also - note that wing drop
(especially with some tow planes) can be more likely on a no crosswind
day - because the prop wash swirl is coming right back at the glider
instead of being swept aside.

I have found that the problem is most pronounced with mid wing gliders,
short tow ropes, and trike gear towplanes.

Don't worry about the use of the wrong control input. As a CFI I have
also seen that with new pilots and it will go way with time in the
aircraft. It takes time for your brain to process problem recognition,
correct response, and avoid over response. That process speeds up with
experience.

Roy

At 14:06 19 January 2009, Tuno wrote:
Second, get some free practice. =A0Pick a windy day and sit in a
stationary glider that's pointed into the wind and practice holding
the wings level. =A0A 15 knot wind is just right. =A0The glider will

Old January 19th 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Concur that the best thing to do is to go balance your wings in a good
wind and build up muscle memory.

I have also seen it in a couple of students - my guess is that it might
be a "primacy" effect. We are used to walking with opposing movement of
our arms. When we are in a walking speed situation and the brain is a
little overloaded we tend to revert to left foot right arm. Hence at low
speed on the ground run suddenly the co-ordination fails.

Just a theory.

At our club those who have this tendency are encouraged to walk Left
arm/left foot to the glider when they are going to fly. Whether it is
the unconscious conditioning or the embarrassment they seem to have very
few repeat problems...

Bruce

Roy Bourgeois wrote:
[...]

Head wind takeoff into rising hills, or crosswind takeoff to open space ?? P S Piloting 7 September 20th 07 07:29 PM
correct link Shaun Instrument Flight Rules 0 October 10th 04 06:41 PM
Problem on takeoff AAS Simulators 4 September 30th 04 08:39 AM
Flap/aileron don't line up -- always a problem? Ben Jackson Owning 4 April 13th 04 01:53 AM
Takeoff with a problem? Rocky Piloting 14 January 23rd 04 02:26 PM