A letter I sent to the Wings Channel

Old August 8th 03, 03:04 PM
Steve House

I understand that's one of the reasons for wash-out in a wing, so that the
twist gives different parts of the wing different angles of attach so as to
control which portions of the wing stall first. If different segments of
the wing have different angles of attack, it seems it would follow that they
also would contribute different amounts of lift.

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
.....snip...

The other is that all bits of the wing contribute equally to the lift.
I'm probably missing something, but I think different areas of the
wing produce different amounts of lift per square inch, or square
foot. Particularly where the airfoil changes shape between the root
and the tip as opposed to a constant cord wing like the old Hershey
bar wing on the Cherokees.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Tim

Old August 8th 03, 05:38 PM
Big John

Steve

Do, but it's a trade off between safety and performance.

Big John

----clip----
Old August 20th 03, 10:27 PM
AJ

I'd like to clarify one thing -- My original letter to the Wings
Channel (which was given a perfunctory "Thanks for writing, but we're
too busy to reply") was written because I feel the network has an
unhealthy fascination with planes that kill. An occasional show about
bush pilots and their planes, the use of planes on ranches and for
humanitarian aid, etc., would be very welcome.

Besides, I still find the Luftwaffe and Alexei Tupolev old news.

AJ
Old August 21st 03, 05:22 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

Todd Pattist writes:

"Steve House"
wrote:

So the whole debate is about whether the instructor in question should have
used the words "adequate lift" instead of just "lift." So how many angels
was it you said could dance on that pinhead?

The difference is like the difference between your bank
saying they just charged you 5 bucks for being overdrawn and
the bank telling you they zeroed your account for being
overdrawn. It is a common and fundamental misunderstanding
(that many CFI's share) that lift goes to zero when the wing
stalls. Going to zero is not the same as beginning to
decrease any more than being charged 5 bucks is the same as
having your bank account wiped out.

Hey, I'd *much* rather have my account zeroed than have 5 bucks
deducted if I'm overdrawn.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, , www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
RKBA: noguns-nomoney.com www.dd-b.net/carry/