Sealed Battery

Old September 7th 07, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Default Sealed Battery

Doug Vetter wrote:
On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 05:24:41 -0700, Denny wrote:

Concorde RG is the only way to go...

I had my A&P pull the battery today and he told me that leaking
electrolyte (the result of overcharging due to one or more weak cells) did
quite a number on our brand new battery box. He said it was "salvageable"
and my heart dropped. For $700 and a mere 6 months old, it better be.

That damage made the decision to go for the sealed unit a no-brainer, and
the comments in this thread made the decision to go with the Concorde. I
should have it installed by the weekend. Hopefully the weather won't suck
for my test flight.

The jury is still out on whether I'll put a Battery Tender on it, but my
experience with wet cell and AGM batteries is that they will last forever
if floated and fail alarmingly often if left to discharge. Guess we'll
wait and see.

Thanks to all who responded. Very interesting and helpful information.

-Doug

I have a Concorde in my Skyhawk with the 180 engine. It works great and
I never use a charger. This past year I have had to go 3 and 4 weeks
between starts and the engine turns and fires in just a couple of blades.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old September 8th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tri-Pacer

If you need an STC for the Concord RG battery, stay away from Chief
Aircraft. When I asked if the STC was included I was told "The paper work
will be in the box" Guess what no STC!!!! I had to go elsewhere to buy the
STC.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
KPLU

Old September 8th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 17:08:42 +0000, Doug Vetter wrote:
Many of the threads I read were several years old so I'd like to solicit
some current opinions on the use of sealed batteries before I write the
check. Opinions?

Figured I'd post a follow up. I had the battery installed, the 337 signed
off, and took the airplane for a flight with the new Concorde RG-25XC
battery today.

I recall someone saying that the RG-XC battery would turn the starter
faster but I dismissed that comment because I figured the owner was
comparing it to the old and tired battery. Imagine my surprise when I
turned the key and watched the blades go by faster than I'd seen in the 15
years we've owned this airplane. All I can say is that next time you're
due for a battery you owe it to yourself to try the Concorde RG-XC series.

Oh, and by the way, whether you go wet cell or RG, stay away from the
Gill units. My mechanic confirmed (without prompting) that something has
happened to the quality of Gill batteries in the last couple of years.
Different manufacturer? Processes? He doesn't know, but he
pointed out that reliability is definitely down, and he now recommends
Concorde for most applications.

Thanks again to all for the advice!

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old September 9th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Allen[_1_]

"Doug Vetter" wrote in message
[...]

Gill is owned by Teledyne Continental Motors.

--
*H. Allen Smith*
WACO - We are all here, because we are not all there.

Battery Connectors Paul Remde Soaring 1 September 15th 06 09:46 PM
battery self-destruct [email protected] Owning 13 June 13th 06 11:04 PM
Battery Source Mike the Strike Soaring 81 October 28th 05 12:46 AM
Battery Chargers Mike Rapoport Owning 11 December 2nd 03 11:55 PM
Sealed Batteries Gene Vignali Owning 5 October 2nd 03 08:32 PM