3 ILS approaches into KJAN with ATC COMS - Video

Old April 3rd 10, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default 3 ILS approaches into KJAN with ATC COMS - Video

3 ILS approaches into KJAN with ATC COMS - Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d53XwaE4cZM

Ceilings were perfect for more IMC time. FAF of ALLEN is 2200 and
ceilings were averaging 1800 give or take so I knew I would be in the
middle of the action

All en-route portions were timelapsed therefore ATC instructions are
out of sync with the video to some degree.

Took me the three approaches into KJAN to realize that in high wind
situations 500 fpm descent just won't work. I had to use a 300 fpm
descent rate to maintain glide slope

Still always amazes me how ATC "works me in" as my first approach I
was doing 50 knots ground speed. Needless to say, to be a good
neighbor, 2nd and 3rd approaches, I did at 110 knots down to the
middle marker :-)

First approach en-route was IMC as I was in the middle of the cloud
deck, second, VMC on top and third was in and out of IMC at the bases
of the cloud deck.
Old April 18th 10, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Apr 17, 12:13*pm, brian whatcott wrote:

Like you, I approached Corpus last weekend at MY best speed
(a mere 90 kts or so) until short finals in VFR.

Yikes, that being your best speed, you must have felt like the numbers
were coming up to you quick! What is your normal final approach
speed? VFR, I shoot for 78 knots in my plane.
Old April 18th 10, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Apr 17, 10:38*pm, brian whatcott wrote:
wrote:

The C-150 cruises at 84Kt, approaches at 58 Kt to 52 kt. *:-)

Brian W

Ugh, I guess making an approach into ORD or equivalent at ILS minimums
probably wouldn't be a consideration without being a laughing stock of
ATC :-) But then again that probably would also apply to my
Slowdowner LOL

Old April 18th 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Apr 18, 9:41*am, brian whatcott wrote:

Take some consolation that the world's busiest airport (in the season)
OSHKOSH handles slow traffic with aplomb...and wing waggles!

Good point! And NORDO also most welcomed too!