LiFePO4 batteries

Old September 27th 12, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default LiFePO4 batteries

TA posted about LiFePO4 batteries a while ago.
Using the Tenergy 10AH batteries, I'm impressed. Lighter, longer lasting.
6 hours of ClearNav, 302, 6201 and TT21 brings two 10AH batteries "down" to 13.1V. The old SLA and AGM stuff I'd been using now seems rubbish.
The Lithium Phosphate batteries even use your existing chargers.
Jim
Old September 27th 12, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

Are these batteries safer than the LiPo used in RC aircraft? There have been bad fires when charging LiPO and fireproof containers are recommended.
Old September 27th 12, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:29:19 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
TA posted about LiFePO4 batteries a while ago.

Using the Tenergy 10AH batteries, I'm impressed. Lighter, longer lasting.

6 hours of ClearNav, 302, 6201 and TT21 brings two 10AH batteries "down" to 13.1V. The old SLA and AGM stuff I'd been using now seems rubbish.

The Lithium Phosphate batteries even use your existing chargers.

Jim

Can the LiPO batteries really be charged safely with the SLA Chargers we use?
Old September 27th 12, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:09:54 AM UTC-4, T wrote:
Are these batteries safer than the LiPo used in RC aircraft? There have been bad fires when charging LiPO and fireproof containers are recommended.

All that was hashed out on the previous discussion. These are different from
Lithium Phosphate and don't suffer the fire problems. I got one from K2 Energy
this year and love the lighter weight, higher voltage, and higher capacity.
I did get their charger also just to be sure.

-- Matt
Old September 27th 12, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Sep 27, 10:53*am, wrote:
On Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:09:54 AM UTC-4, T wrote:
Are these batteries safer than the LiPo used in RC aircraft? There have been bad fires when charging LiPO and fireproof containers are recommended..

All that was hashed out on the previous discussion. *These are different from
Lithium Phosphate and don't suffer the fire problems. *I got one from K2 Energy
this year and love the lighter weight, higher voltage, and higher capacity.
I did get their charger also just to be sure.

-- Matt

The RC model battery / fire starters are lithium polymer (LiPO). The
tenergy and K2 SLA replacement batteries are lithium iron phosphate
(LiFePO4). I saw a lot of the K2 batteries at my last contest, heard
only praise. I'm thinking of switching to the LiFePO4 batteries but
I'm in need of evidence that they'll work at typical glider discharge
rates (2A during TX, about 1A otherwise) when really cold (say -30
C). Any of you Sierra Wave guys using these?
Old September 27th 12, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

As Matt posted and I believe was in a "Soaring" article, LiFePO4 is a much better technology than the old LiPo or LiIon. There are videos of people trying to blow up LiFePO4 cells or saw them up on YouTube. They didn't make the Darwin Awards.
Each 12.8V battery pack that looks like your old 8AH SLA battery has a charge/discharge controller on board. Weighs 50% of the equivalent SLA battery.
Tenergy or K2 are available in the USA directly or from their resellers, mine from all-battery.com.
Airbatt is available in Europe from accu-24.de. One section of their online catalog lists them by sailplane model.
Jim
Old September 28th 12, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:21:06 AM UTC-4, Evan Ludeman wrote:
On Sep 27, 10:53*am, wrote:

The RC model battery / fire starters are lithium polymer (LiPO). The

tenergy and K2 SLA replacement batteries are lithium iron phosphate

(LiFePO4). I saw a lot of the K2 batteries at my last contest, heard

only praise. I'm thinking of switching to the LiFePO4 batteries but

I'm in need of evidence that they'll work at typical glider discharge

rates (2A during TX, about 1A otherwise) when really cold (say -30

C). Any of you Sierra Wave guys using these?

Been using mine all year including early season, longish ridge missions on cold (though not bitterly cold) days. My load is pretty typical of a modern panel, with radio, xponder, vario, backup FR, and ClearNav. So far, the LiFePO4 batteries from K2 have performed flawlessy. I ran a discharge test on them under load on the bench earlier this year, and they met or exceeded the performance chart I had.

P3

Old September 28th 12, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:29:19 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
TA posted about LiFePO4 batteries a while ago. Using the Tenergy 10AH batteries, I'm impressed. Lighter, longer lasting. 6 hours of ClearNav, 302, 6201 and TT21 brings two 10AH batteries "down" to 13.1V. The old SLA and AGM stuff I'd been using now seems rubbish. The Lithium Phosphate batteries even use your existing chargers. Jim

Have been using the K2 batteries for two years now and can say only good things about them. It may be noteworthy that K2 has now a 10Ah version out which has the same frame like the typical 7.5Ah SLA batteries.
Yes, these batteries will become unstable and can blow up - if you expose them to 400F for a long time - in which case you may have a far greater problem on your hands than worrying about your plane or battery! ;-)
GM
Old September 28th 12, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:54:50 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
Been using mine all year including early season, longish ridge missions on cold (though not bitterly cold) days. My load is pretty typical of a modern panel, with radio, xponder, vario, backup FR, and ClearNav. So far, the LiFePO4 batteries from K2 have performed flawlessy. I ran a discharge test on them under load on the bench earlier this year, and they met or exceeded the performance chart I had.

P3

Someone asked me offline... I have two of the K2 10AH batteries on separate circuits. One battery lasts for a typical 5 hour flight, and for my longest flight this year (9 hours on a coldish ridge day) I switched over after 6 and still seemed to have some juice left on the battery when I switched..

Old October 6th 12, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
howdy

This is what the inside of our K2 looks like. http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?p=1991

LiFePO4 battery ASM Soaring 4 December 6th 11 08:00 PM
AGM Batteries Dave Anderer Owning 13 March 29th 08 08:38 PM
2-Batteries [email protected] Soaring 69 January 4th 07 05:09 AM
160 new batteries Mal Soaring 0 October 27th 06 11:36 AM
Sealed Batteries Gene Vignali Owning 5 October 2nd 03 08:32 PM