Best Glide computer and why

Old October 22nd 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger[_5_]

Default Best Glide computer and why

Just looking for thoughts on the best glide computer and GPS combo and
why. I think Zander is very popular ing europe but not availible in
the states, why? I remember about ten years ago there was a HUD
computer but they went out of business.

Is there anything new on the market, maybe like a MFD.

Old October 22nd 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Roger wrote:
Just looking for thoughts on the best glide computer and GPS combo and
why. I think Zander is very popular ing europe but not availible in
the states, why? I remember about ten years ago there was a HUD
computer but they went out of business.

Is there anything new on the market, maybe like a MFD.

Ilec SN-10 hooked up to a Garmin 35 GPS and driving a PDA running
SeeYou Mobile. This is a racing/serious XC setup. SN10 is easy to
use inflight, can be setup to display exactly the data you want, has a
nice vario, and is a decent logger for OLC (but not igc certified - get
a VL or Colibri or the new EW for that). PDA/MCU gives nice moving map
for navigation and alternates, and is a backup glide computer.
Winpilot is nice, too.

My personal setup is slightly different - my SN-10 is driven by the
Garmin 35 and the PDA gets info from my IGC logger (a Themi) - each on
seperate batteries. This way I have two independent glide
computers/moving maps (SN10 has a simple one)/loggers. Again, this is
overkill, but nice for racing. It's worked pretty good so far this
year (I've been using the SN-10 since 2000).

Kirk
66

Old October 22nd 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 22, 12:35 am, "Roger" wrote:
Just looking for thoughts on the best glide computer and GPS combo and
why. there anything new on the market, maybe like a MFD.

I put a cambridge 302 with a 303 display unit in my glider last winter
and am very happy with it.
It is very user friendly and simple to operate, it is small and really
cleaned up the space behind my
panel.

If you ever have problems or questions you can talk to Gary at
cambridge directly, their service
I would rate as Excellent.

Also the value for your dollar seems very good, an .igc approved
logger, gps, very nice vario.

Everything you need for $2700 approx. if you buy both the 302 and 303.
Nothing else to buy.

Joe

Old October 23rd 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MaD

schrieb:

if you buy both the 302 and 303.
Nothing else to buy.

Joe

Except something to display airspace etc?

Regards
Marcel

Old October 23rd 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Melville

We use a 302 in our ASH talking to IPAQ's with either
See You or Winpilot. Very neat, works well and gives
all you might need (excellent vario,GPS,IGC logger,Airspace,
final glide and lots of other stuff such as distance
to go,vario stats etc etc including help on thermal
centring!(better in WP than Seeyou) You can download
your flight from the 302 into the IPAQ and then hand
in your flash card as proof of flight...all very easy
and practical

Old October 23rd 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

302 + WinpilotPro = my vote too.

But SeeYou Mobile is also good.

2NO

Old October 24th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

I have a Cambridge 302 with an iPAQ. IGC certified and easy to
transfer files as said earlier. It is easy to hook up and has
integrated gear/brake warnings (switches extra). Importantly the
Cambridge supplies 5Vdc to the iPAQ!!

I fly with Glide Navigator but any of the commercial products are good.

- John

Old October 24th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger[_5_]

I noticed a lot of people using the Cambridge with a PDA. Anyone using
the LX 7000, any new computers on the horizon. Any Zander users? I
have never liked the idea of a MS handheld device. I understand the
PDA is just the way of getting a screen, but I have also read all the
posts of not being able to see the screen in sunlight and the mounting
problems.

Anyone know of a MFD computer on the market or in design? What about
the European computers, anyone using those? I understadnt eh Zander
has a stick grip with control functions for teh computer, sounds like a
greaat idea.

Old October 24th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Francisco De Almeida

Any Zander users? [...] I understadnt eh Zander has a stick grip with =
control functions for=20
teh computer, sounds like a greaat idea.

=20
I use a Zander SR940 computer coupled to a Zander GP941 logger. The =
precision, robustness and quality are superb. Currently I do not use a =
PDA as I did not enjoy the cables in the cockpit and most of the =
functionality is available in the Zander anyway.
=20
The stick grip controls are very comfortable. I built my own, following =
the instructions contained in the handbook.
=20
The drawback of the Zander is that it must be learned; I find myself =
re-reading the user notes at the beginning of each flying season. There =
are a lot of functions and options to explore if you want to use all the =
potential of the instrument.
=20
After-sales servicing is without reproach in my experience, but Mr =
Zander does not care for marketing. His communication with customers is =
minimalist, at least in English. Perhaps now with sales and service =
available through SDI as well, English-speaking customers may find more =
sympathetic service.

Old October 24th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I actually use an LX7007 as my primary nav/computer/vario/logger. I
like it very much. Having the 302/IPAQ combination as a backup allows
me to always have a moving map display visible.

I also have a toggle switch on my panel that lets me change the IPAQ's
connection between the LX7007 and the 302. This allows me to fly with
the 302 driving the IPAQ, and download the LX's flight log to the IPAQ
after the flight, which is much faster (19200 bps vs 4800 on the 302).

~ted/2NO