Blanik L13AC AD requiring Eddy Current and Hardness Testing

Old July 28th 16, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Blanik L13AC AD requiring Eddy Current and Hardness Testing

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 8:34:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
The Finger Lakes Soaring Club of Dansville, NY owns a Blanik L13AC. It is our main two place glider for teaching students.

The AD 2016-11-10, published on 6/3/2016, pertaining to Blanik L13AC Gliders refers to LET Mandatory Bulletin L13/085a. That bulletin requires eddy current testing and hardness testing on the far aft bulkhead. So far I have not been able to find any testing company interested in doing this testing.

Does any one in this group have any ideas about who does this type of testing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Charles Zabinski
FLSC Glider Maintenance

Have you looked into any of the 145 repair stations in your area. I know Haeco in Greensboro, AAR in INDY and ATS in Kansas city would all be very capable of inspecting these and providing appropriate paperwork.

Joe G
Old July 29th 16, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 at 1:25:51 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Here is the MIL-STD (Military Standard) for eddy current electrical conductivity testing:

http://www.aero.ing.unlp.edu.ar/cate...537C%20(1).pdf

This may help your A&P understand the test procedure.

Tom
Old August 13th 16, 05:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

After many fruitless contacts the required Eddy Current Testing was accomplished on our Blanik L13AC by renting a Verimation M4900C Eddy Current Tester from NDT Supply of Farmington Michigan. The tester is very easy to use and reads directly in the required %IACS (% International Annealed Copper Standard). Our Blanik tested within the required specification. Our A&P/IA witnessed the testing.

The rental cost by week is $475. An 30% IACS Aluminum Standard costs $290. The tester was supplied with a new calibration documentation sheets for the tester and the aluminum standard. The test takes about 5 minutes.

We could not find any companies with the required Eddy Current Testers that were interested in doing the testing probably because of the small amount of revenue (to them) involved.

Charles Zabinski
FLSC Glider Maintenance

Blanik L13AC value Ramy Soaring 5 March 21st 12 09:02 PM
FAA requiring re-registration of airplanes, and then again every 3years Justin Rizor Soaring 9 July 23rd 10 06:17 PM
Eddy Currents [email protected] Piloting 10 December 25th 07 01:19 AM
CAP232 from Eddy Dussau Rie Janssen Aerobatics 4 July 15th 04 04:18 PM
CAP232 from Eddy Dussau Rie Janssen Aerobatics 0 March 23rd 04 01:06 PM