Racing

Old August 12th 16, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Racing

Charlie- Agreed. Technology today obviously can bring almost any sport (including soaring) to the screen. I am just discouraged because the use of such technology is very expensive. I thoroughly enjoy watching the Sailplane Grand Prix videos. However, to my knowledge, the US GP race at Ionia did not utilize the technology. The only videos I have seen are not particularly inspiring. Perhaps a better video will be coming?

ps. I like your idea for adding a bit more challenge to sailing.
Old August 12th 16, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Lets make it happen. One hitch, given the demographics of sailplane pilots can we find any that don't have any (prescribed for age related ailments) prescriptions on this list?
http://www.usada.org/wp-content/uplo...ed-list-en.pdf
Old August 12th 16, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 11:29:22 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Lets make it happen. One hitch, given the demographics of sailplane pilots can we find any that don't have any (prescribed for age related ailments) prescriptions on this list?
http://www.usada.org/wp-content/uplo...ed-list-en.pdf

If you're high enough on the IGC ranking list,or at an FAI/IGC sanctioned event, you are testable. Positively, they've exempted soaring from the ban on oxygen.

See http://www.fai.org/cimp-anti-doping-...doping-testing

Old August 12th 16, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

We learned much for SGP USA. The big mistake was allowing people "the choice" of spot trackers. Some (John Mittel) let me talk them into buying a cheap android phone and installing IGC droid. This worked amazingly well. Next year SPOT will not be allowed. Both InReach (30 second) and mobile tracking will be MANDATORY. With those requirements, a SGP or even a an SSA task will be much more interesting to watch. In many ways this combination provides equal or better tracking that some of the more famous SGP videos you're referring too.

Videos: we did not spend a ton of money on videos. Our goal was to hold the first FAI SGP event in the USA, safety, have fun and gain experience. We succeeded in all catagories. Especially the fun! Personally, this was BY FAR the most fun I haveever had competing in gliders since I began flying contests. Many others expressed the same feelings. It was great practice and the learning g curve was straight up. For videos, focused on the human experience and the winners interviews. We used a good friend in the sports video production industry but the rain days at the end of the contest hurt us as we had hedged the majority of his schedule toward the end of the contest. I think the best video is the probably the video Garret shared. I was so busy I chose to not do gopro in the cockpit.

It would cost between 10-15k to do secure high quality video production during the SGP event. That is really only one major sponsor.

Next year will be even better. How much better will depend of sponsors. We have some pretty good sponsors in discussions for 2017 already...

Sean
Old August 12th 16, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 4:18:40 PM UTC-4, Sean wrote:
[...]

Why not put 2 inexpensive OGN receivers (about $100 ea and some internet bandwidth - you could probably get an ISP in the area to provide it for free advertising) in N and S of task area - and use the FLARM echoes (you would have to mandate OGN sign-up and no stealth)? You could also put OGN trackers in towplanes. You can get great coverage, cheap, in the lowlands. No added complexity in the glider; FLARM is already there. SPOT is not intended for NRT tracking, it's a survival aid. OGN also gives you altitude... which makes the race interesting and gives the commentators something to say. SGP is for the spectators and to grow the sport...

Dan
Old August 12th 16, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Dan,

I do not think they will offer very much advantage over mobile and InReach combination. Also, mobile apps and in reach are COTS, ready to go, reliable and proven today.

That said, if something better and that price range becomes the better choice by next spring, I will be all over it.

Sean
Old August 13th 16, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 6:58:22 PM UTC-4, Sean wrote:
Dan,

I do not think they will offer very much advantage over mobile and InReach combination. Also, mobile apps and in reach are COTS, ready to go, reliable and proven today.

That said, if something better and that price range becomes the better choice by next spring, I will be all over it.

Sean

The advantage is, pilots don't have to buy and learn a mobile app, or buy an InReach. They have FLARM. OGN works, proven today.

Dan
Old August 13th 16, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Would this system work better? Ad says Paragliding World Cup and X Alps uses them: https://www.flymaster.net/page/tracker
Dunno how well they work, @100 bucks a piece plus subscription. The PG world cup has 100+ pilots wonder if they have to buy them or they have loner/rental units. Hit em up for sponsorship, tell them sailplane pilots buy all the new electronic devices they can fit in their ships. They just need to try them for free first, at a race
Old August 13th 16, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason

www.airtribune.com is another. used the HG competitions in the US, US Nationals in Big Spring utilizing it and it ends Saturday 8/13
Old August 13th 16, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Dan send me something on what to buy/test, etc.