Friendly Fire Notebook

Old April 2nd 04, 11:38 PM
BUFDRVR

During
the first significant land battle of the Civil War, at Big Bethel in
Virginia, the Federal's accounted for most of their own casualties (which
totaled some 80 personnel) when two of their elements started firing at each
other due to mistaken identity.

Was this before or after Bull Run? At Bull Run, the Union forces were so overly
concerned with fratricide that a Wisconsin Brigade allowed the Union's main
artilliary position to be over run by a Confederate Virginia Brigade because
they thought it was reinforcements arriving to help hold the hill.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old April 3rd 04, 12:49 AM
Robey Price

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, Ed Rasimus
confessed the following:

Okay Alex, I like obscure acronynms for $2000...

I learned the meaning of WGAS, WTFO, BTSOM, GMAFB, and the truly
elusive but often appropriate, ROMFYOYO.

WGAS...who gives a ****
WTFO...what the ****, over
BTSOM...beats the **** out of me
GMAFB...give me a ****in' break
ROMFYOYO...rock on muther ****er, you're on your own
Old April 3rd 04, 01:42 AM
Yeff

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:49:24 GMT, Robey Price wrote:

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, Ed Rasimus
confessed the following:

Okay Alex, I like obscure acronynms for $2000...

I learned the meaning of WGAS, WTFO, BTSOM, GMAFB, and the truly
elusive but often appropriate, ROMFYOYO.

WGAS...who gives a ****
WTFO...what the ****, over
BTSOM...beats the **** out of me
GMAFB...give me a ****in' break
ROMFYOYO...rock on muther ****er, you're on your own

What about FIGMO? g

-Jeff B. (BTDT)
yeff at erols dot com
Old April 3rd 04, 04:04 AM
Kevin Brooks

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
During
the first significant land battle of the Civil War, at Big Bethel in
Virginia, the Federal's accounted for most of their own casualties (which
totaled some 80 personnel) when two of their elements started firing at

each
other due to mistaken identity.

Was this before or after Bull Run? At Bull Run, the Union forces were so

overly
concerned with fratricide that a Wisconsin Brigade allowed the Union's

main
artilliary position to be over run by a Confederate Virginia Brigade

because
they thought it was reinforcements arriving to help hold the hill.

It happened about a month earlier. The 7th NY engaged the 3rd NY, which was
wearing gray uniforms; these were the two lead regiments in the Federal
attack, and this fratricide incident led to the failure of the Union attack.
It was not a large battle; the Feds had about 2500 men engaged (out of a
force of around 4000, IIRC), and the Confederates were defending with around
1200. After the engagement I believe the Feds retreated back towards Fort
Monroe. Actually, there is a link of sorts to being topical in this NG; the
site of the battle is now largely covered by a reservoir that serves Langley
AFB, and (at least when I lived in the area pre-1980) fishing in it was
limited to armed forces personnel.

Brooks

BUFDRVR

"Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if it

harelips
everyone on Bear Creek"

Old April 3rd 04, 04:55 AM
Pete

"Yeff" wrote

What about FIGMO? g

The ROAD Sgt gets to say that and mean it...

Pete

Old April 3rd 04, 04:51 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 03:55:38 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

"Yeff" wrote

What about FIGMO? g

The ROAD Sgt gets to say that and mean it...

Pete

And he's usually a REMF as well.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old April 4th 04, 02:03 AM
redc1c4

Ed Rasimus wrote:

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 03:55:38 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

"Yeff" wrote

What about FIGMO? g

The ROAD Sgt gets to say that and mean it...

Pete

And he's usually a REMF as well.

well, all you can do then is say "FIDO, Charlie Mike".

either that or "DILLIGAF". %-)

redc1c4,
LWASTA
--
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
considerable watching."

Army Officer's Guide

"Friendly fire" Mike Military Aviation 0 March 19th 04 02:36 PM
B-52 crew blamed for friendly fire death Paul Hirose Military Aviation 0 March 16th 04 12:49 AM
U.S. won't have to reveal other friendly fire events: Schmidt's lawyers hoped to use other incidents to help their case Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 December 18th 03 08:44 PM
Fire officer tops in field — again Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 October 13th 03 08:37 PM
Friendly fire pilot may testify against wingman Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 October 11th 03 09:32 PM