Boredom at the FSS

Old October 9th 05, 12:11 AM
vincent p. norris

Default Boredom at the FSS

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 13:44:42 GMT, Matt Whiting
Yes, I would think that responding, even to a false alarm, would be a
lot more fun than sitting and playing cards all day.

Sometimes when I phone the FSS for a wx briefing, I get a long-winded
description and analysis of the wx in areas that have no relevance
whatever to my planned flight.

At those times I usually wonder if things are so quiet at the FSS that
the briefer is bored to death and is so relieved to get my phone call
he wants to make it last as long as he possibly can.

Anyone else have this experience?

Any of you FSS briefers out there wish to comment?

vince norris
Old October 10th 05, 01:34 AM
Jim Burns

I had a rather unusual briefing or briefer the other day. After just about
every sentence, she would say either "U know what I mean?" or "Ya with me?"
or "Ya see?" or "So ya understand?" At first I didn't pick up on it, but
it continued through the entire briefing and I almost busted out laughing.

She would say something like "So you know there's a high pressure area over
the upper midwest, ya know what I mean? and this is slowly pushing a
stationary front eastward, ya see? But it's not moving very fast, right?
So you'll be behind that front, ya know what I mean? and you should have a
pretty clear flight, so you're with me right? It'll be VFR the whole way,
ya understand right?" She did this over and over, so, I started to answer
her everytime she asked "ya know what I mean", I'd say yep, or uhuh, or
something. This made it even WORSE!! It got so bad that I started
listening for her questions, rather than listening to what she was telling
me.

I don't know if she was bored, wanted feedback, or if this was an
uncontrollable habit of hers, but it was definitely entertaining. Then she
ended the briefing by telling me "you have a good flight, HUN.!" That's a
first.

Jim

Old October 10th 05, 03:31 AM
vincent p. norris

.... Then she ended the briefing by telling me "you have a good flight, HUN.!"
That's a first.

Jim

You must have a VERY sexy voice!

vince norris
Old October 10th 05, 04:27 AM
Lynne

Jim Burns wrote:

I don't know if she was bored, wanted feedback, or if this was an
uncontrollable habit of hers, but it was definitely entertaining. Then she
ended the briefing by telling me "you have a good flight, HUN.!" That's a
first.

Jim

I feel somewhat "busted," because that briefer was ME the best I can
tell!

I heard a lot of insecurity in your voice, so I wanted to be sure I
took it slow, and you understand what I was saying. Ya know?

Lynne

Old October 10th 05, 01:42 PM
Jim Burns

I feel somewhat "busted," because that briefer was ME the best I can
tell!
Lynne

One way to know for certain. Which FSS are you working at?

Jim

Old October 10th 05, 04:02 PM
Lynne

Eau Claire.
Could it have possibly been me???

Old October 10th 05, 04:21 PM
Jim Burns

Doubt if it was you. I haven't been to Eau Claire since they closed the FSS
sometime in the late '80s.
Jim

oups.com...

Old October 10th 05, 05:08 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Lynne" wrote in message
oups.com...

Eau Claire.
Could it have possibly been me???

Bad guess. Eau Claire FSS was decommissioned on November 7, 1989.

Old October 10th 05, 05:58 PM
Lynne

I misread what you wrote. For some reason, I thought this was a
briefing I did on November 1, 1989. It was one of my last at the Eau
Claire facility.

Old October 10th 05, 06:37 PM
Jim Burns

Wow, that must have been a memorable day. I can't even tell you what state
I was in on that day.
Jim

oups.com...