How accurate was B-26 bombing?

Old March 3rd 04, 12:33 AM
BUFDRVR

Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?

What you talking about?....there's still one building and a few trees standing

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old March 3rd 04, 12:34 AM
Thomas Schoene

BUFDRVR wrote:
Interestingly, I did see where the Iranians have recently developed
a rocket boosted LGB using an M117 as the warhead.

Strange since the thin skinned M-117 has nearly zero pentration
capability. All putting a rocket on it would do was ensure the skin
breached before the explosive chain hit its full psi. A big sparkler
would be the result.

I expect that the rocket is used at the beginning of the flight to enhance
stand-off range, not penetration. Something like USN's Skipper, which was
basically a Paveway II with a Shrike motor on the back end.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old March 3rd 04, 01:13 AM
BUFDRVR

n M-117 has a much thinner bomb
body, but around 50% more explosive filler...

How does this effect shrapnel effecitveness and dispersion?

It throws less frag farther.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old March 3rd 04, 01:14 AM
BUFDRVR

I expect that the rocket is used at the beginning of the flight to enhance
stand-off range, not penetration.

ahhh, ok. I'll buy that then....

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old March 3rd 04, 01:23 AM
BUFDRVR

hole in the pattern

Nope, either mil dispersion or it was not in line with the DMPI. IIRC, my
formation went directly across (using the picture either top to bottom or left
to right), it looks like the 2-ship who followed us (later that evening), just
dropped 90-degrees out from us, effectively making a +. Appears that building
may have been spared by targeting....or mil dispersion, can't tell.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old March 3rd 04, 02:48 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
link.net...
BUFDRVR wrote:
Interestingly, I did see where the Iranians have recently developed
a rocket boosted LGB using an M117 as the warhead.

Strange since the thin skinned M-117 has nearly zero pentration
capability. All putting a rocket on it would do was ensure the skin
breached before the explosive chain hit its full psi. A big sparkler
would be the result.

I expect that the rocket is used at the beginning of the flight to enhance
stand-off range, not penetration. Something like USN's Skipper, which was
basically a Paveway II with a Shrike motor on the back end.

Yeah. That is the plan from what I read--add the AGM 130 to the "similar to"
category.

Brooks

Old March 3rd 04, 10:10 PM
BUFDRVR

will we run out of M-117 before we run out of airframe life on the
Buffs?

Doubtful, since they are "de-miling" them as well as dropping them at every
opportunity. We've got 36 years left of BUFF airframe time, by my guess, all
the M-117s will be gone by '06 or '07.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"