Bounced Landing

Old September 30th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

Default Bounced Landing

Is this for real, or has this video been manipulated??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bkUt9CzRpg

Old September 30th 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

The aircraft bounces faster than something of that size and weight
would... It's clearly fake.

Old September 30th 07, 08:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Dan wrote in news:1191128994.829376.102350
@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

The aircraft bounces faster than something of that size and weight
would... It's clearly fake.

I'm not so sure. I would say it was faked also, but I've seen a computer
replay of a 757 that porpoised on landing after a very similar touchdown
(and I know this was for real because the copilot on the airplane showed it
to me) and it looked just like that. The airplane was very seriously
damaged, BTW

Bertie
Old September 30th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Sep 29, 10:04 pm, Phil wrote:
Is this for real, or has this video been manipulated??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bkUt9CzRpg

I've seen that before. Its from a commercial. You can hear the
announcer at the end start to say something. I'm pretty sure it's been
doctored at least somewhat.

Old September 30th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dan wrote in news:1191128994.829376.102350
@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

The aircraft bounces faster than something of that size and weight
would... It's clearly fake.

I'm not so sure. I would say it was faked also, but I've seen a computer
replay of a 757 that porpoised on landing after a very similar touchdown
(and I know this was for real because the copilot on the airplane showed it
to me) and it looked just like that. The airplane was very seriously
damaged, BTW

I'm unsure also. I've seen some fakes and they typically are choppy and
jerky. This one looks almost like it could be real.

Matt
Old September 30th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Matt Whiting wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dan wrote in news:1191128994.829376.102350
@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

The aircraft bounces faster than something of that size and weight
would... It's clearly fake.

I'm not so sure. I would say it was faked also, but I've seen a
computer replay of a 757 that porpoised on landing after a very
similar touchdown (and I know this was for real because the copilot
on the airplane showed it to me) and it looked just like that. The
airplane was very seriously damaged, BTW

I'm unsure also. I've seen some fakes and they typically are choppy
and jerky. This one looks almost like it could be real.

There's detail in it that looks pretty convincing as well. Smoke from the
tires, for instance. Also when it's bouncing the perspective of the
airplane looks quite convincing, as opposed to some you might see where the
spoofer simply animates a still of the airplane.
It's getting so you can't tel what's real anymore!

I know someone who is convinced that the Cessna 620 is an internet hoax. Me
telling him I can remember it has only convinced him I'm delusional.

Bertie

Old September 30th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .
Matt Whiting wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

The screech from the 1st contact of the main gear seems to arrive at the
camera
too soon for the distance from the observer.......although could be because
of a
"mis-alignment" of the audio and video "tracks". Also, don't the violent
movements
appear to be occurring "faster" than would be expected for an object of this
size.
And the oscillations don't appear natural, but I suppose the crew would be
trying
to slow the plane down by any means possible while being subjected to up and
down motions up to 10 - 15 ft.

.....just observations from someone who really doesn't know what could (or
should)
be going on inside the cockpit at that time. It'd be interesting to hear a
translation
of "commentary" from the flight crew during this.:-) Back during my boat
racing days
there was a short standard phrase we used when the boat blew over (flipped).
It
was only 2 words but it was really all we had time for anyway. The Chinese
version
may be more colorful.

BS, TP

Old September 30th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Scott[_5_]

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 05:18:49 -0700, in rec.aviation.piloting, buttman
wrote:

On Sep 29, 10:04 pm, Phil wrote:
Is this for real, or has this video been manipulated??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bkUt9CzRpg

I've seen that before. Its from a commercial. You can hear the
announcer at the end start to say something. I'm pretty sure it's been
doctored at least somewhat.

I remember seeing somewhere that it was a (large) RC model airplane. IMO
that would seem to account for the apparent physics of the bounces.

-Scott
Old September 30th 07, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I thought the same thing exactly ( Though the sound thing got by
me) but as I said, I've seen a computer reconstruction of pretty mush
the smae sort of accident in a slightly larger airplane (757) and the
picture was pretty much the same.
The FO in that airplane showed me the computer reconstruction which had
been made from the FDR. It was an extremely violent incident, he said.
The airplane was quite badly damaged.

Bertie
Old September 30th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

wrote:
On Sep 29, 10:04 pm, Phil wrote:
Is this for real, or has this video been manipulated??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bkUt9CzRpg

I've seen that before. Its from a commercial. You can hear the
announcer at the end start to say something. I'm pretty sure it's been
doctored at least somewhat.

I remember seeing somewhere that it was a (large) RC model airplane. IMO
that would seem to account for the apparent physics of the bounces.

-Scott

That seems like the best explanation. I noticed it says T & W Air on
the fuselage. I can't find any trace of that as a Chinese airline on
the web. But if it's an RC plane, the video must have been doctored
to add the smoke from the tires. I don't think you would get that
much smoke from an RC size plane.

Bounced landing recovery? [email protected] Piloting 33 June 13th 12 02:29 PM
Landing Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 August 3rd 07 05:01 AM
Mig-15 landing Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 April 12th 07 01:50 PM
A Jet Blue Aircraft Landing with Sideway Landing-Gear Lufthansi Piloting 18 July 19th 06 05:13 AM
A Jet Blue Aircraft Landing with Sideway Landing-Gear Hansi Instrument Flight Rules 1 July 17th 06 04:01 AM