M-Nav

Old November 29th 11, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default M-Nav

Hello everyone.
New to the group. I have a Pegasus that hasn't flown in many years and
I'm getting her ship-shape after a new annual and a clean bill-of-
health. The glider has an older M-Nav50 computer and I was wondering
if anyone can tell me something about these computers, i.e., what
functions does it perform (speed to fly, best glide, etc.), I'm also
wondering if I can interface this old a model to any current PDA,
etc., or will there be compatibility issues? I guess I'm trying to
assertain whether it's worth saving, or should I bite the bullet and
buy a new one. I'd like to try to make it work, at least for the time
being. I don't fly competitions....it would mainly be for XC. Thanks.
Dave
Old November 29th 11, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

The M-Nav won't interface with any GPS, PDA, or anything else. You
enter glider performance data (two points to make the polar, I
believe), set a distance to go, enter headwind/tailwind, and it counts
off the miles. You can adjust miles to go at any time if you have a
GPS to tell you exact distance.

It will show speed to fly, and altitude needed to get somewhere, if
you have the wind and altitude correct. Fine vario if it works.

You can probably find a manual for it somewhere on-line.

Have fun with your new plane!

Old November 29th 11, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Steve.
I guess the hand crank on the side of the unit should have been a tip-
off (just kidding). Sounds like I need to add an item onto next year's
xmas list.
Dave

On Nov 29, 11:47*am, wrote:

Hello everyone.
New to the group. I have a Pegasus that hasn't flown in many years and
I'm getting her ship-shape after a new annual and a clean bill-of-
health. The glider has an older M-Nav50 computer and I was wondering
if anyone can tell me something about these computers, i.e., what
functions does it perform (speed to fly, best glide, etc.), I'm also
wondering if I can interface this old a model to any current PDA,
etc., or will there be compatibility issues? I guess I'm trying to
assertain whether it's worth saving, or should I bite the bullet and
buy a new one. I'd like to try to make it work, at least for the time
being. I don't fly competitions....it would mainly be for XC. Thanks.
Dave- Hide quoted text -

Old November 29th 11, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cliff Hilty[_2_]

dump it one of the real issues is if it has sat unused for any length of
time the Hot wire aneometer will most likely be way out of calibration and
no one seems to want to recal them (ask me how I know). Shame too as I
liked the tones of the speed to fly function and not a bad variometer.
Would have liked to keep mine for a backup for the SN10.

CH

At 18:35 29 November 2011, wrote:
Thanks Steve.
I guess the hand crank on the side of the unit should have been a tip-
off (just kidding). Sounds like I need to add an item onto next year's
xmas list.
Dave

On Nov 29, 10:27=A0am, Steve Leonard wrote:
The M-Nav won't interface with any GPS, PDA, or anything else. =A0You
enter glider performance data (two points to make the polar, I
believe), set a distance to go, enter headwind/tailwind, and it counts
off the miles. =A0You can adjust miles to go at any time if you have a
GPS to tell you exact distance.

It will show speed to fly, and altitude needed to get somewhere, if
you have the wind and altitude correct. =A0Fine vario if it works.

Old November 29th 11, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 29, 12:47*pm, wrote:
Hello everyone.
New to the group. I have a Pegasus that hasn't flown in many years and
I'm getting her ship-shape after a new annual and a clean bill-of-
health. The glider has an older M-Nav50 computer and I was wondering
if anyone can tell me something about these computers, i.e., what
functions does it perform (speed to fly, best glide, etc.), I'm also
wondering if I can interface this old a model to any current PDA,
etc., or will there be compatibility issues? I guess I'm trying to
assertain whether it's worth saving, or should I bite the bullet and
buy a new one. I'd like to try to make it work, at least for the time
being. I don't fly competitions....it would mainly be for XC. Thanks.
Dave

Try it and see how it works. It may well be jusy fine.
If the vario and audio work, use it till you find what you want to
move up to.
If you're cleaning up an old ship, you likely have more important
things to do.
You don't need fancy glide computers to have fun going cross country-
we did it for a long time.
Good luck.
UH
Old November 30th 11, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Buba Smith

On Nov 29, 10:47*am, wrote:
Hello everyone.
New to the group. I have a Pegasus that hasn't flown in many years and
I'm getting her ship-shape after a new annual and a clean bill-of-
health. The glider has an older M-Nav50 computer and I was wondering
if anyone can tell me something about these computers, i.e., what
functions does it perform (speed to fly, best glide, etc.), I'm also
wondering if I can interface this old a model to any current PDA,
etc., or will there be compatibility issues? I guess I'm trying to
assertain whether it's worth saving, or should I bite the bullet and
buy a new one. I'd like to try to make it work, at least for the time
being. I don't fly competitions....it would mainly be for XC. Thanks.
Dave

Ive used an M Nav with a Model 20 Cambridge for the past 8 years. The
unit works great and there is no reason to change or upgrade.
Defiantly worth saving. We now have service on these units here in the
US. If you cannot find a manual online PM me and Ill copy mine and
send it off to you.
Old November 30th 11, 07:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 29, 7:46*pm, Buba Smith wrote:
On Nov 29, 10:47*am, wrote:

[...]

Thanks everybody.
Dave
Old November 30th 11, 08:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hagbard Celine

It sounds like it has the same basic functionality as the Peschges
VP-4E Nav that came with my glider. It worked fine as a vario, and the
distance and glide calculator functions worked just fine as long as I
used the distance and groundspeed/wind outputs from a Colibri to set
the wind and distance inputs correctly. I decided I'd just keep using
it until it broke down and then replace it with a nice new LX or
Cambridge unit.

That was eight years ago and the damn thing just keeps going strong!
Maybe you'll be just as lucky with the M-Nav.
Old November 30th 11, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Nov 29, 10:47*am, wrote:
Hello everyone.
New to the group. I have a Pegasus that hasn't flown in many years and
I'm getting her ship-shape after a new annual and a clean bill-of-
health. The glider has an older M-Nav50 computer and I was wondering
if anyone can tell me something about these computers, i.e., what
functions does it perform (speed to fly, best glide, etc.), I'm also
wondering if I can interface this old a model to any current PDA,
etc., or will there be compatibility issues? I guess I'm trying to
assertain whether it's worth saving, or should I bite the bullet and
buy a new one. I'd like to try to make it work, at least for the time
being. I don't fly competitions....it would mainly be for XC. Thanks.
Dave

I used an MNAV in my ASW19B and prepared illustrated briefing notes
for the next owner. If you want a copy send me an email off group.

As others have said this unit cannot be interfaced with a GPS or PDA.
It requires a pilot to close the loop. The hardest part of using the
MNAV was getting a visual fix to set the initial final glide distance
setting and then getting subsequent visual fixes to update the wind
estimate. That became much easier with a simple GPS to provide the
required distances.

The MNAV is a good vario. Unless you have a lot of spare cash I
suggest you keep it for a while and add a low cost GPS/PDA.

BTW I may a transducer board somewhere in my junk pile. I forget why
it was replaced but it may be good for parts.

Andy