My Annual SN10 Christmas Wishlist for Santa Dave

Old November 27th 11, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default My Annual SN10 Christmas Wishlist for Santa Dave

Once again, for Santa Dave, here is my SN10 Xmas wishlist:

1. Add ability to save and recall multiple tasks (2 or 3 at least).
Since the US allows retasking in the air with the emphasis on
previously set backup tasks, this would be a HUGE safety enhancement.
Anyone who has tried to change from an AST to a backup AAT task in his
SN10 while
airborne in a weak prestart gaggle will appreciate this. Perhaps show
the
task in use at the top center of the Task Page (top of the final
glide
column) and allow that field (single digit) to be highlighted and
used
to change the task being used.

2. Get rid of the separate AAT task page.Move the Task Rules page to
SETUP
(since these settings usually remain the same during a contest),
move the AAT Task Setup to the FLIGHT list, and make the AAT in the
title a selectable field (AST ? MAT ? AAT ? AST). If the task time
is zeroed on Timer Page in MAT or AAT, or AST is selected, select AST,
set
turnpoint to 1 mile radius (or per rules page) and autormatically
advance at
turnpoint entry, if MAT or a task time is selected while in AST,
select MAT
with 1 mile turnpoints by default and auto advance at turnpoint entry,
and if
AAT is selected allow entry of area specifications.

3. In AST and MAT, auto select next turnpoint (with acknowledge) when
enter
turnpoint, but score from actual distance achieved in the turnpoint,
calculated
when exit turnpoint radius. This would better match how ASTs are
actually flown and scored.

4. Provide a simpler way to adjust inflight calculations by moving
AAT turnpoints.
Instead of being able to move the AAT turnpoint on the map with up/
down or left/right,
or the new (and incomprehensible!) "move it halfway to somewhere in
the circle..." method, just
allow moving the AAT turnpoint in/out in range (and time) along the
axis bisecting the
current inbound and outbound course to the turnpoint selected. This
would make it a lot
easier to do "what-ifs" on how far to fly into each AAT area.
Perhaps, with A selected,
up-arrow cursor increases or decreases value from -100 (near edge of
circle, min distance/time)
to +100 (far edge of circle, max distance/time), shown at upper right
corner of map in big font.
Side arrow would move new AAT turnpoint left or right of axis, up to
limits of the area.
ENTER on either arrow would snap the turnpoint back to the center of
the area or defining
turnpoint, if a sector is used.

5. Add US cylinder start altitude functions. Add a definable start
altitude (on the Task Rules page), track the time (elapsed or
countdown from 2 minutes) below that altitude if glider exceeds it
prior to a declared start and has to drop below it to start, and
allow
automatic start out the top of the cylinder, as is currently done out
the side. Prior to the start, use the "Rem" field on the Task Page
show the time below start altitude: something like "TTS" (Time To
Start), possibly as a flashing field counting down the time until a
start can be made. On the Timer Page, replace the STI field (not
used
in US anymore) with Time To Start. (time below start altitude, 2
minute countdown).

6. Add a finish altitude to the Task Rules page, and an option to
compute ETF and final glide to the closest point on the finish
circle/
line at the finish altitude, plus reserve height. Still show glide
finish airport on Alternates page as a backup.

Gotta keep up with the newcomers, you know!

Merry Christmas.

Cheers!

Kirk
66
Old November 27th 11, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Oops, I apologize for the atrocious formatting.

Hope you can muddle through it!

Cheers,

Kirk
66
Old November 27th 11, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Regarding #4: Are you using the AAT snap feature ?
This works extremely well for optimizing AAT
with very low heads-down time (according to
many pilots)...
See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old November 28th 11, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hotelalpha

Santa Dave, I'd like to have SN10 winds work in SeeYou.

Sean
Hotel Alpha

Old November 28th 11, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

The SN10 outputs its measured wind for use
by other devices. This is explained he
http://www.nadler.com/sn10/SN10_PDA_Support.html
Contact the maker of your favorite gadget
and convince them to implement the expected
behavior ;-)
Happy Holidays, Dave "YO electric"

PS: I assumed you were referring to SeeYou mobile.
Old November 28th 11, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Nov 27, 5:44*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:
Regarding #4: Are you using the AAT snap feature ?
This works extremely well for optimizing AAT
with very low heads-down time (according to
many pilots)...
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

Dave,

Yes, I've tried using the AAT snap feature and hate it, to put it
bluntly. Either let me choose min (closest point of entry), nominal
(center of area) or max (far edge), or give me a simple variable
setting (doesn't have to be infinitely variable, say 1/4, 1/2, 3/4,
full either way from center - so four clicks on the rotary knob either
way). And a quick way to reset to center. But with your current
implementation, you have no real control over where the turnpoint is
reset - you just keep on moving it out, fly a bit, move it out, etc.
until you see the numbers you want.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I sure would like to hear from those
who like this feature, and how they use it - I'm open to have my mind
changed!

If you want to save heads down time (and I'm totally in agreement with
you on that!), then give us multiple tasks and easier AAT task entry -
for those CDs who can't stick to their guns after launch!

Seriously, I think the SN10 is great, just want it even better!

Cheers,

Kirk
66
Old November 28th 11, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hotelalpha

On Nov 28, 6:06*am, Dave Nadler wrote:
The SN10 outputs its measured wind for use
by other devices. This is explained hehttp://www.nadler.com/sn10/SN10_PDA_Support.html
Contact the maker of your favorite gadget
and convince them to implement the expected
behavior ;-)
Happy Holidays, Dave "YO electric"

PS: I assumed you were referring to SeeYou mobile.

Yes, can't we all just get along
Old November 28th 11, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cernauta

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 11:06:50 -0800 (PST), "kirk.stant"
wrote:

Once again, for Santa Dave, here is my SN10 Xmas wishlist:

7. last, but definitely not least, add WindComponent to the
configurable page. I've been asking for this since a long time ago...

thanks

aldo cernezzi
dg600m
Old November 28th 11, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

Please, Santa Dave...
I've been a good glider pilot this year.. honest!!
May I please have a SN-10b for Christmas?
I promise I'll take good care of it!

-John
(who's Kestrel only has a basic panel plus an old pre-GPS STF vario
that acts up, and my Navigon recently drowned)