Crashed K-falls pilot hangs in tree for two days...

Old June 23rd 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gatt

Default Crashed K-falls pilot hangs in tree for two days...

By Associated Press
KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. (AP) - A Klamath Falls man who crashed a plane into a
tree in Mississippi and spent 50 hours pinned there and could hear searchers
on the ground and helicopters in the air, his son said.

"He told me he knew he had to hang in there," Stephen Steinbock told the
Klamath Falls Herald and News. "He's pretty tough. I guess there wasn't much
he could have done - just keep holding on."

Dennis Steinbock, 52, a high school history teacher, had flown to Alabama to
pick up a single-engine private plane and fly it back to Oregon.

He ran into engine trouble Monday and crashed into a treetop about 15 miles
south of Oxford, Miss.

His son said Steinbock told him that the plane flipped and fell down the
trunk, pinning him.

The Civil Air Patrol began searching on Tuesday and said it followed an
emergency signal to Steinbock on Wednesday, taking two hours to get him
down.

"I think he knew what to do in that situation," Stephen Steinbock said. "And
it probably saved his life."

Dennis Steinbock was reported in good condition Thursday in a Memphis
hospital with seven broken ribs, a partially deflated lung and severe
dehydration. Initially, searchers thought he broke his legs, but that wasn't
the case, his son said.

Old June 23rd 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 22, 5:51 pm, "Gatt" wrote:
[...]

I wonder if he is any relation to Roger Steinbock, the guy who wrote
Flitestar and sold it to Jeppesen...