Two unique sailplanes

Old February 11th 12, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Two unique sailplanes

Can anyone provide an update on what happened the the Cygnet P1C World
Class Glider and Dick Monghan's Osprey? I wonder if these ships are
still around and flying?
Old February 13th 12, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Feb 10, 8:39*pm, wrote:
Can anyone provide an update on what happened the the Cygnet P1C World
Class Glider and Dick Monghan's Osprey? I wonder if these ships are
still around and flying?

Looks like the Osprey is still registered.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...Numbertxt=710S

The last listed airworthiness date says that maybe it isn't flying any
more? Unlimited expiration airworthiness for amaeur built didn't come
out until 1979, I think. He built it in southern California, and the
address now is Idaho. A little more research, and I bet you can get a
phone number to call and see for yourself.

Let us know what you find out!

Steve
Old February 21st 12, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...px?NNumbertxt=....

The last listed airworthiness date says that maybe it isn't flying any
more? *Unlimited expiration airworthiness for amaeur built didn't come
out until 1979, I think. *He built it in southern California, and the
address now is Idaho. *A little more research, and I bet you can get a
phone number to call and see for yourself.

Let us know what you find out!

Steve

I did as you suggested and had a very nice conversation with Mr.
Monaghan, the designer, builder and owner of the Osprey. The Osprey
still exists and is safe and sound on it's trailer although it has
been many years since it has been flown. He did take it to a local
Airfest a few years ago and set it up for display, so it does still
go together. Mr. Monaghan has a power license now and owns a 1939
Luscombe and a GlasStar as well. At age 67, he still flies and still
has that infectious sense of humor that came through in his Soaring
Magazine article from so many years ago. What a fine and gracious
gentleman to accept a call from a nutty glider enthusiast half a
country away!
Old February 21st 12, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Feb 20, 8:12*pm, wrote:

I did as you suggested and had a very nice conversation with Mr.
Monaghan, the designer, builder and owner of the Osprey. The Osprey
still exists and is safe and sound on it's trailer although it has
been many years since it has been flown. He did take it to a local
Airfest *a few years ago and set it up for display, so it does still
go together. Mr. Monaghan has a power license now and owns a 1939
Luscombe and a GlasStar as well. At age 67, he still flies and still
has that infectious sense of humor that came through in his Soaring
Magazine article from so many years ago. What a fine and gracious
gentleman to accept a call from a nutty glider enthusiast half a
country away!-

Great to hear! I, too, have contacted other glider pilots "out of the
blue". Only once did I get a growl from the other end. But, that was
not from the glider pilot, but apparently from his ex-wife! I got to
meet Frank Kelsey that way. Blind contact, half way across the
country, then as luck would have it, work to me to very near him, so I
got to meet him in person. What a wonderful and inventive man he was!

So, for the rest of you who are interested in learning a bit more
about something you have seen, don't hesitate to contact the person
mentioned. I had many wonderful conversations with AJ Smith and
George Moffat from these "out of the blue, half a continent away"
contacts.

Steve Leonard