A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

2015 Nephi OLC/XC Final Report

Old July 6th 15, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default 2015 Nephi OLC/XC Final Report

We made it! What an incredible 8 days of flying we all had. The weather cooperated and gave us many chances to go for personal bests and explore the beautiful areas Nephi has to offer. Here are a few quick flight stats:

300 flights uploaded to OLC, many more were flown but not uploaded to OLC
3 flights over 1000km!
18 flights over 750km!
89 flights over 500km!!!

Total OLC distance flown = 127,673km (79,343 miles) That is 3+ times around the earth! Also add dozens of personal best flights achieved and first task flights flown

We want to thank all the pilots who came out and participated at our camp this year. You all had fantastic attitudes, flew safe, and worked well together both on the ground and in the air. We would also like to thank the many volunteers who came and spent their time and energies to make this both happen and turn out so well. I would say this was by far our best event we have done at Nephi to date.

Our new staging and gridding system was a big success. We worked hard to formalize a gridding system this year that would work for everyone and we thank the pilots for their efforts in trying this new system. It allowed for the guy who wanted to go long to leave early, but not make the people in the back wait out in the sun for hours. It also took stress off the pilots from having to rush to the grid to get a spot. We listened to your suggestions and comments from last year. Thanks!

We only had a few landouts all week long. On one, our friend Charlie Ryan was seriously injured during a wind storm while he was helping to put a glider into the trailer in a farmer's field. He is on the long road to recovery back home and he was in our thoughts all week. Get well Charlie and come back to Nephi and fly with us again soon!

Next year, Nephi will be hosting the 15 meter, Open, and Standard Class Nationals starting June 21, 2016. Registration is already open and filling up. We are very excited and honored to be hosting these pilots and events next year. We hope you will join us!

Please note that our plans going forward are to host a nationals (or maybe large regionals) one year and then do an OLC camp the next year going forward. We think this every other year alternating of event types will help keep Nephi available for all types of pilots with different flying and racing goals.

To see pictures of the event, please visit our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/2015NephiCamp

Again, thanks to both the pilots and all the volunteers who worked so hard to make this happen! See you next year.

Bruno - B4
Old July 7th 15, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 11:12:35 AM UTC-5, wrote:
We made it! What an incredible 8 days of flying we all had. The weather cooperated and gave us many chances to go for personal bests and explore the beautiful areas Nephi has to offer. Here are a few quick flight stats:

300 flights uploaded to OLC, many more were flown but not uploaded to OLC
3 flights over 1000km!
18 flights over 750km!
89 flights over 500km!!!

Total OLC distance flown = 127,673km (79,343 miles) That is 3+ times around the earth! Also add dozens of personal best flights achieved and first task flights flown

We want to thank all the pilots who came out and participated at our camp this year. You all had fantastic attitudes, flew safe, and worked well together both on the ground and in the air. We would also like to thank the many volunteers who came and spent their time and energies to make this both happen and turn out so well. I would say this was by far our best event we have done at Nephi to date.

Our new staging and gridding system was a big success. We worked hard to formalize a gridding system this year that would work for everyone and we thank the pilots for their efforts in trying this new system. It allowed for the guy who wanted to go long to leave early, but not make the people in the back wait out in the sun for hours. It also took stress off the pilots from having to rush to the grid to get a spot. We listened to your suggestions and comments from last year. Thanks!

We only had a few landouts all week long. On one, our friend Charlie Ryan was seriously injured during a wind storm while he was helping to put a glider into the trailer in a farmer's field. He is on the long road to recovery back home and he was in our thoughts all week. Get well Charlie and come back to Nephi and fly with us again soon!

Next year, Nephi will be hosting the 15 meter, Open, and Standard Class Nationals starting June 21, 2016. Registration is already open and filling up. We are very excited and honored to be hosting these pilots and events next year. We hope you will join us!

Please note that our plans going forward are to host a nationals (or maybe large regionals) one year and then do an OLC camp the next year going forward. We think this every other year alternating of event types will help keep Nephi available for all types of pilots with different flying and racing goals.

To see pictures of the event, please visit our facebook page: https://www..facebook.com/2015NephiCamp

Again, thanks to both the pilots and all the volunteers who worked so hard to make this happen! See you next year.

Bruno - B4

glad you had a good time Bruno. I'm about 90% confident I'll be joining you for Standard Nationals next year
Old July 7th 15, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

Bruno was an energetic and genial organizer with a great team backing him up. I and everyone I met there had a great time. The venue worked well with a pretty efficient gridding and launching and absolutely no landing problems - the combination of good radio procedures with Flarm enabled many gliders to land in a short space of time.

The weather was reasonable, but not as good as it can be. Overdevelopment and low cloud bases restricted the more faint hearted from pushing as far as they could, but despite this we had many great and fast flights. The Great Basin is one of the best soaring areas in the world and the Utah mountains on the East side are just spectacular. Nephi is well positioned to take advantage of these.

Of course, not everything was perfect and there were a few minor niggles, but the team is well aware of them and I have every confidence the site will continue to improve.

Mike
Old July 7th 15, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

On Monday, 6 July 2015 18:34:46 UTC-6, Mike the Strike wrote:
Bruno was an energetic and genial organizer with a great team backing him up. I and everyone I met there had a great time. The venue worked well with a pretty efficient gridding and launching and absolutely no landing problems - the combination of good radio procedures with Flarm enabled many gliders to land in a short space of time.

The weather was reasonable, but not as good as it can be. Overdevelopment and low cloud bases restricted the more faint hearted from pushing as far as they could, but despite this we had many great and fast flights. The Great Basin is one of the best soaring areas in the world and the Utah mountains on the East side are just spectacular. Nephi is well positioned to take advantage of these.

Of course, not everything was perfect and there were a few minor niggles, but the team is well aware of them and I have every confidence the site will continue to improve.

Mike

I am afraid to ask you to publicly to define and identify the 'few minor niggles'
Old July 7th 15, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

It was hard to find good beer!

Mike
Old July 7th 15, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

On Monday, 6 July 2015 19:21:22 UTC-6, Mike the Strike wrote:

Mike

As I told you and Howard Banks (HL) I was expecting yuz guys to bring some of the micro brew(s) from Moriarty since you raved how great they were. There is a good selection of beers in SLC but not in Nephi. Small price to pay and stop sniffling about 16K MSL top of lift!
Old July 7th 15, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

You should have picked up a case or two at the brewery a mile from
Moriarty airport before you left... :-D

On 7/6/2015 7:20 PM, Mike the Strike wrote:

Mike

--
Dan Marotta

Old July 7th 15, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Ron
I promise to bring beer next year.
3C
Old July 7th 15, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]
external usenet poster

Mike

There is actually a small liquor store in downtown Nephi that
has an excellent selection of very good beers.

It is on the main road going through nephi on the west side of the road. Almost
across from Lisa's restaurant maybe 1 block north.

It is not well marked and easy to miss, also they have weird hours and close early so you need to stock your cooler before you fly!

Joe EZ
Old July 7th 15, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt
external usenet poster

There is actually a small liquor store in downtown Nephi that
has an excellent selection of very good beers.

Sorry, but I must disagree. I checked out that liquor store and ran away. Being a beer snob from PDX, this is definitely a BYOB town.

Craig 1CR