Ely, Nevada - Accident?

Old December 6th 17, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]

Default Ely, Nevada - Accident?

If you are thermaling, the glider is not operating anywhere near a structural limit like any max G or speed. Flying an inattentive slow circle makes for the stall and subsequent spin. (Ask me how I know.)

So why not just fly out of the unusual attitude? Was there another glider, or not enough distance to the ground? Or perhaps there was a problem with the recovery?

It's possible the glider inverted for a moment going well past VNE.

This video is an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPWaNxTP-SA
Old December 6th 17, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]

9:51 PM (less than a minute ago)

If you are thermaling, the glider is not operating anywhere near a structural limit like any max G or speed. Flying an inattentive slow circle makes for the stall and subsequent spin. (Ask me how I know.)

So why not just fly out of the unusual attitude? Was there another glider, or not enough distance to the ground? Or perhaps there was a problem with the recovery?

It's possible the glider inverted for a moment going over vno and something broke

Old December 7th 17, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Coming back down a dark cloud street over a mountain valley I pulled into a

vigorous thermal at 50 kt.

Some 270° in the first turn I was flipped inverted and spat out on a
downline in
an eye blink. The trace showed an 11kt drop in TAS in one second followed
by a
9 kt increase one second later.

Best to get the stick back before the airspeed builds recovering from
inverted.

While many glider manuals allow loops, there's very few that allow rolls.

Old December 9th 17, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob T

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 2:44:22 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
The story I have heard is pilot lost control in really nasty thermal top, perhaps spin and recovery straight down or inverted, felt the glider was broken or uncontrollable and punched out. Walked back to the FBO. Glider is a ASH31, lying in a remote canyon outside of Ely.

Things can get really nasty out of Ely sometimes.

Been there, done that. Give this a read: http://www.danlj.org/~danlj/Soaring/...b_Thompson.pdf

E-mail for Sam Whiteside Nevada Roy Clark, \B6\ Soaring 0 December 15th 13 10:17 PM
ELY Nevada [email protected] Soaring 26 February 3rd 09 04:28 AM
To Nevada in an Aztec Jay Honeck Piloting 11 March 19th 06 06:16 AM
2000km in Nevada Kemp Soaring 6 May 20th 05 08:17 AM
Nevada Sales Tax De Owning 2 January 21st 05 05:22 PM