Antonov control cables

Old September 29th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John[_9_]

Default Antonov control cables

I was at an airshow this summer and saw an Antonov AN-2 Colt. I have
always liked them since I saw the first one ever brought into the
country back in 1976. This time I noticed the rudder control cables.
The end of the cable at the rudder horns was wrapped around a thimble
but then things got weird. The cable was not clamped back on itself
with a copper sleeve like a nicopress sleeve and it was not woven into
itself like a tuck splice.

The cable looked like it was simply wrapped over itself three or four
times and then covered with some kind of heat shrinkable metal sleeve.
This metal sleeve was definitely shrunken over cable and you could see
that the bitter end of the cable was wrapped around the standing end.
This sleeve was not rubber or plastic like the heat shrink used in
wiring. I scraped at with my fingernail and it was definitely metal of
some sort. I would estimate now that the sleeve was at least two
inches long and maybe longer.

Has anyone else noticed this with Soviet/Russian style aircraft? Is
this standard practice in Eastern Europe? Any idea how this technique
compares with Nicopress or the tuck splice for strength and durability?

Regards to all,

John Dupre'

Old September 29th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

John wrote:

The cable looked like it was simply wrapped over itself three or four
times and then covered with some kind of heat shrinkable metal sleeve.
This metal sleeve was definitely shrunken over cable and you could see
that the bitter end of the cable was wrapped around the standing end.
This sleeve was not rubber or plastic like the heat shrink used in
wiring. I scraped at with my fingernail and it was definitely metal of
some sort. I would estimate now that the sleeve was at least two
inches long and maybe longer.

I've never heard or seen of such a thing, and I worked as a sailboat
rigger, and made aircraft cables on contract at the plant I worked at.

All I can think of is that this is a copper, dead soft aluminum, or
lead sleeve that's been smacked between the jaws of a punch press or
rotary swager, with RUBBER dies, to make the soft metal flow, conform,
and essentially room temperature forge around the cable.

Old September 29th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Denny

The russky designer s are among the best in the world working under
conditions that make a third world country look like paradise... Your
best bet is to assume that they have found a solution that is so slick
that it eludes us here in Pleasantville...

denny

Old September 30th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
JStricker

Call these guys, http://www.dakotariggers.com/ I have a friend that works
there and if it's cable and they haven't heard of it, it probably doesn't
exist.

John Stricker

ups.com...

Old October 3rd 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kestas

Hi,
It's usual solution for Russian homebuilders and if I remeber it was
one of possible standard procedure in industry for cable repairing. Of
course no shrinkable metal was used but flattened copper (or bronze)
tube. You need to insert the line twice shaping a loop and then twist
this tube 3,4 times.
Have no details, sorry, but hope it helps.

Kestas

JStricker wrote:
Call these guys, http://www.dakotariggers.com/ I have a friend that works
there and if it's cable and they haven't heard of it, it probably doesn't
exist.

John Stricker

ups.com...

Old October 4th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

John, did you take any pictures?

Old October 5th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John[_9_]

No I didn't. It was really a pretty lousy day for photography
(Barnes/Westfield). What I remember is that the "sleeve" was very thin
and you could see how the cable was wrapped over itself. The "sleeve"
was formed pretty tightly over wraps of cable. That is why I compared
it to heat shrink tubing since it had flowed and formed so completely
over the cable. I don't remember any seams as from a pair of dies that
might have been used to compress the "sleeve". The wrapped portion of
the cable seemed round in cross section not crushed or flattened. It
really looked like the "sleeve" had been shrunk over the cable.

Juan Jimenez wrote:
ups.com...

Old October 6th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

Ah, I understand. Too bad, I would have loved to see what that looked like.
If you get another chance, don't forget to snap a pic.

Juan

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
No I didn't. It was really a pretty lousy day for photography
(Barnes/Westfield). What I remember is that the "sleeve" was very thin
and you could see how the cable was wrapped over itself. The "sleeve"
was formed pretty tightly over wraps of cable. That is why I compared
it to heat shrink tubing since it had flowed and formed so completely
over the cable. I don't remember any seams as from a pair of dies that
might have been used to compress the "sleeve". The wrapped portion of
the cable seemed round in cross section not crushed or flattened. It
really looked like the "sleeve" had been shrunk over the cable.

Juan Jimenez wrote:
ups.com...